• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 9: Force vs Crusaders: HBF Park, Perth: Saturday 20th April

Neo

Stan Wickham (3)
Crusaders B team is no longer good enough to beat our teams. Their A team would still smash us.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
The Crusaders are now stone motherless last on the table. This is so unbelievable it does my head in! No wonder I am nearly last in the tipping competition!

The Rebels now have the blueprint on how to win next week. If they can read it and implement it then they'll be another 5 points up the table and headed for a top four finish.

young gun

Fred Wood (13)
Do they have one though?

No. The Australian teams all face injury problems at various stages and just have to deal with it. Fact is, at least for this year, the Crusaders day is over. Their player pipeline has let them down. The players tonight will probab;y form a very good team in a few years time, but now, and lets face it, that's where we live, they are too inexperienced and lack team cohesion. As an added note, maybe the coach isn't up to it.

Thalium

Larry Dwyer (12)
No. The Australian teams all face injury problems at various stages and just have to deal with it. Fact is, at least for this year, the Crusaders day is over. Their player pipeline has let them down. The players tonight will probab;y form a very good team in a few years time, but now, and lets face it, that's where we live, they are too inexperienced and lack team cohesion. As an added note, maybe the coach isn't up to it.
Penney post match interview was dire. Captain wasn’t even there either. He was just making excuses

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Pretty solid performance by the force. Similar to the reds defence but had a bit more in attack. Definately got a lot of 50/50s which was evened up after 50 minutes. Marley with a great try saver which the TMO decided to go for a piss during. No idea how that try was awarded to the crusaders.
Stewart is extremely good. A well rounded game. Probabaly our best.
The off the ball play on white as always was there.
Fines has seemed to go backwards with white there. Not sure if he is trying to hard with the minimal minutes he gets but he is no where near wallaby selection anymore.
Beale was solid for his first super game in a long time.
Crusaders lots of errors but they were from some massive accurate tackles by the force below the ball.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Shiggers surely en route to the thread

madmax_zpsaccl3ihx_(1).GIF
You love me hey. Sorry I couldn't be here during the game.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Penney post match interview was dire. Captain wasn’t even there either. He was just making excuses
I only watched the first half, and wandered off to bed, but I noticed when the camera went to coaches box the Crusaders lot looked lost? And injuries aren't any excuse etc, they look lost etc. I don't rate the Force at all, look a team of journeymen to me, but still better than Crusaders.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ Penney looked pretty forlorn standing at the back of the box, didn't he? Possibly wondering if he'll be the first HC to be fired by two different Super Rugby teams or if that's already happened (Hammett maybe?)...

I also flagged it at HT & wasn't at all surprised by the scoreline this morning.

Two home games v Rebs & Reds coming up with ScoBar & Havili due back; then two away v Clan & Brums by which time Burke should be available; then two at home v Bleus & Moana to finish. Should probably beat both Clan & Moana & I give them a 25% chance v Reds but they'll likely lose the rest. Not sure if wooden spoon can be avoided & really can't be bothered working out the scenarios.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
He's a provincial level - maybe even club level - journeyman signed on a short term contract as injury cover for their starter Fergus Burke. Their alternatives are a 23 year old Rivez Reihana, who hasn't proven much better, or a 20 year old Taha Kemara, who has wraps.

At this point they might as well just chuck Kemara in and see what happens. idk how it could get any worse.
Aware, but Fergus Burke is off to Saracens at the end of the season also and still nursing that achilles as far as I'm aware. Not a great situation for Penny.

I just thought NZ would have someone better than Hohepa bouncing around the system.

Yes, Rivez Reihana was pretty average in those opening rounds, but I'm not sure he's been given so much game time that you can write him off yet.

Agree, with five regular rounds left and Burke off o/s next season, you most well give Kemara and Reihana the game time and work out if either are going to cut it at this level anytime soon and if not start hunting for your next recruit.

I don't have enough insight to judge him, but from the outside, after his stint at the Tahs and now this first season at the Crusaders, he's not looking to be a very effective coach.

Last edited:

Willin1

Allen Oxlade (6)
Good comprehensive win by the Force. Beale looking sharp. Crusaders looked lost.

As a grieving Saders fan, I’m always frustrated with the old boys network that hold the reins here. They cite that Penney, convincingly winning 4 successive ITM titles with Canterbury makes him a good coach.
Back then he’d inherited a winning and stable team with an all AB front row backed up by Whitelock, Thorn,McCaw, Read and an equally impressive backline.
Any coach could have succeeded with that roster!

Thalium

Larry Dwyer (12)
Good comprehensive win by the Force. Beale looking sharp. Crusaders looked lost.

As a grieving Saders fan, I’m always frustrated with the old boys network that hold the reins here. They cite that Penney, convincingly winning 4 successive ITM titles with Canterbury makes him a good coach.
Back then he’d inherited a winning and stable team with an all AB front row backed up by Whitelock, Thorn,McCaw, Read and an equally impressive backline.
Any coach could have succeeded with that roster!
Crusaders have had amazing rosters filled with individual talents who have now left so question is Razor an amazing coach? Or has he been propped up by these talents that have moved overseas and no longer available for AB selection

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Crusaders have had amazing rosters filled with individual talents who have now left so question is Razor an amazing coach? Or has he been propped up by these talents that have moved overseas and no longer available for AB selection
Head coaches are actively involved in building rosters, player management and retention etc. The fact that Razor was able to hold onto so many of those players for so long speaks well to the culture he helped create.