• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 9 : Reds v Highlanders

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Nice to see a gind out win with a number of starters unavailabe. Nice progress within the team for the fresh players coming in.

Loved how Paisami is travelling, Vunivalu not exactly showing his value but definitely showing his promise. Great to see.

Scrum was up to task mostly, lineout not at performance levels we have been used to. Thought the solid work through the middle and defending the rucks was workmanlike. Set the platform for sure.

Possession and terrirtory stats were interesting, over the game they are relatively even. First half though was all Red and second all Landers. Reds took their points (or enough of them) and defended solidly when opportunity was with the Landers.

Number of runs (pigs doing hard work) with some interesting highlights: Smith 15 runs (14 m); Daly 10 runs for 14m; Faessler 7 runs for 18 m; Wilson 12 runs for 25m.
Tackles likewise: Bryant 19; Wright 17; Smith 15; Wilson 14.
Tackles also note: Lynagh 11; Paisami 9; and amazing Creighton (on from minute 33) 11

From the stats I think Smith stands out. I'll go with Paismi for MOTM though. Wicked passing, tactical kicks, damaging D, inciteful runs. He is really developing.

Last edited:

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
reasonable game to watch in person, Reds defence was rock solid and Highlanders were garbage, Reds scrums must have forced about 4 scrum penalties in the end?

Crowd was 14k In the end I think was flashed up?

Most disappointing aspect was to see Petaia dislocate his shoulder
On the Stan coverage the crowd seems quiet, and the music really loud (and annoying). How was the crowd noise live?

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Paisami seems like a rocks and diamond type of players… there’s some on this forum who will continue to talk like his a bag full of rocks.

last night was a diamonds game. Start out at 12 - adversity strikes so they move you out to 13. Lot of class!

Marce

John Thornett (49)
I'm watching the replay. A bloody good start by Reds so far:
1000242394.jpg

Reactions: dru

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Paisami has been pretty good this year. I think he was a player who plateaued under Thorn but now seems to be progressing again. His run/pass/kick decisioning has been questionable in the past but was pretty good last night. Defensive reads seemed pretty good too.

With Henry, O’Connor, Flook and now Petaia all on the sideline he’s going to be extremely important going forward.

I never heard - what was the extent of Flook’s injury?

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Possession and terrirtory stats were interesting, over the game they are relatively even. First hald though was all Red and second all Landers. Reds took their points (or enough of them) and defended solidly when opportunity was with the Landers.

We just couldn't exit our own half for 20 minutes in the second half. The dropped kick off and then a couple of crap lineout or penalties meant we gifted the highlanders all the Territory in the world. We need to be better as other teams will punish us.

The backline was a bit disjointed and probably shows the step down in experience when we don't have Tate and or JOC (James O'Connor) guiding the team.

Hopefully James is back next week as we're down to close to our 5th string centre now?

Reactions: dru

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Paisami has been in near career best form all year. He’s copped some flack of late seemingly because he wasn’t creating anything for his team mates.

Well he did this last night. Was fantastic.

Kudos the replacements too. Bryant was great. But thought the scrumhalf combo were excellent too.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
We need to be better as other teams will punish us.

How good is it to be thinking like this after beating a Kiwi team that has not been kept scoreless since 1996! And we haven't beaten since (can't find the stat).

Yep better please.

Right now, I know this season has been up and down, but I'm definitely enjoying the Kiss impact and finding the Reds much more rewarding than I have in ages. Long may it continue.

Red Twist

Allen Oxlade (6)
Paisami seems like a rocks and diamond type of players… there’s some on this forum who will continue to talk like his a bag full of rocks.

last night was a diamonds game. Start out at 12 - adversity strikes so they move you out to 13. Lot of class!
I reckon he's a rock of diamond
Paisami has been pretty good this year. I think he was a player who plateaued under Thorn but now seems to be progressing again. His run/pass/kick decisioning has been questionable in the past but was pretty good last night. Defensive reads seemed pretty good too.

With Henry, O’Connor, Flook and now Petaia all on the sideline he’s going to be extremely important going forward.

I never heard - what was the extent of Flook’s injury?
Paisami was also injured for the most part of last year.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Kudos the replacements too. Bryant was great. But thought the scrumhalf combo were excellent too.

Didn't mention them! Remiss of me.

Kalani was assured though delivery somewhat slow - I'd put it to the Defensive ruckwork (on the edge of slowing inappropriately) but he was accurate, played the game plan, and lightning in his runs. A formidible lynchpin for the team. Incredible that Werchon got just over 20mins - great first cap.

Tom looked to be focused on control or at least being well-considered. He has, I suspect, been more inspiring, but he again played a complete game, kicking form the tee was spot on, and worked up with Paisami as an occasional second fly role - something I haven't really noticed before.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
I'm impressed by the level shown by Reds in the first half. It's always nice to see an Aussie side dominating the Kiwis

Cymru

Allen Oxlade (6)
Jeez, i had to zoom in to figure out what was going on, why’s it so low, players will be tucking the image into their pants?

That’s disappointing for the Brumbies, especially given their Canberra based there’s no shortage of military history inspiration down there.
You realise the Lancaster bomber is G for George, from Australia's most famous RAAF squadron, 460.
460 is based in Canberra and the Lanc is on display at the Australian War Memorial...in Canberra.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Paisami has been in near career best form all year. He’s copped some flack of late seemingly because he wasn’t creating anything for his team mates.

Well he did this last night. Was fantastic.

Reg, I reckon Werchon (despite the haircut) played better than Thomas. Was much faster to the breakdown and seems to be a stronger defender. Would you agree?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Reg, I reckon Werchon (despite the haircut) played better than Thomas. Was much faster to the breakdown and seems to be a stronger defender. Would you agree?

Werchon has pretty quick hands and executed well. The advantage of course being a tiring defence of a team that looked like it lost its way.

Better than Thomas? I thought Thomas was good on the snipe, and tried a few things he didn't need to when the pass wasn't on.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
On the Stan coverage the crowd seems quiet, and the music really loud (and annoying). How was the crowd noise live?
It's a pretty good balance live, at least on the members area I sit where the crowds are denser. Not sure how much of that shows on the broadcast though