• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round Six: Waratahs v Rebels Friday March 29, 7:35 pm SFS

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
^^^ I like the acidic nature of that post - we should all be very fucking angry TBH, particularly those who are burning the candle at both ends running the amateur game (and wondering why we bother).

To your points:

Continued success is important, but it isn't the only foundation on which attendance is built.

To me, a successful metric for a Tahs home game should be about 20k - how many times have they hit that since 2014? The figures of over 25k we were getting in the early 2000s were driven by a combination of Wallabies success, the presence of players like Mat Rogers and Lote Tuqiri, and a leaner competition structure - scarcity created value.

The early 2000s were different to now, I think we can all agree. A generation on, the entertainment factor is what people want, or they'll just go watch another sport or literally anything else on a Friday/Saturday night.

Ultimately, rugby isn't entertaining to watch at this point. Paid professionals dropping a ball cold under zero pressure isn't going to bring the crowds.

I agree with the general nature of your comments about the schools layer; while it serves a purpose for some, more and more it is a handbrake on the Junior Rugby scene, and is increasingly full of NRL talent getting a free education so they can go back to the other sport.

Re: Ireland - success has been good for Ireland, but they took a fucking long time to get there and needed to do exactly what we're talking about: figure out how success works and then prioritise it above everything else. We're going to start with a HP restructure under Horne and Uncle Joe, but it'll need to go a lot further than that to save participation rates and therefore fans.

I find Ireland an interesting case because they have similar conditions to ours ie. other sports are bigger than rugby (soccer, gaelic, hurling) but they understand how to drive high performance. I liken this to Moneyball - we've got no budget but Australia are the old guys at one end of the table talking about "athletes" and "studs" and confidence based on having a girlfriend. Ireland are Jonah Hill "He gets on first".

Insanity can be defined as doing the same thing and expecting a different result.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
So he is not not a a better selection right now. agree

Jack Barrett should absolutely be where he in the Waratahs squad. He's clearly one of the more talented players coming through the under 20s and exactly the sort of player we need coming through the pipeline.

Should he be playing Super Rugby now? Not in an ideal world. He has 7 props ahead of him in the main squad which in usual situations is more than enough.

Professional sport is like this the world over. You have a squad which is based on the here and now as well as developing for the future. Barrett is clearly in that second group as he should be as a 20 year old.

It's irrelevant if there are better props playing Shute Shield. They're not competing for the same spot.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Word from SMH is that Vailani badly injured his knee on Friday and is gone for the season. Porecki doesn't seem to be right yet, I guess the tradie from Shute is now our bench hooker.

We are in diabolical trouble.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Word from SMH is that Vailani badly injured his knee on Friday and is gone for the season. Porecki doesn't seem to be right yet, I guess the tradie from Shute is now our bench hooker.

No, Theo Fourie is back so we're on hookers 3 and 4 instead of 3/4 and 5!

(I assume Fourie was number 3 at the start of the season but Heaven is now 3).

Ref_Ted

Sydney Middleton (9)

1712127191331.png

pnut

Watty Friend (18)
I think given the injuries the team has at the moment and his potential it was a good opportunity to give him a taste. Currently are there better props in Shute, you’d have to say probably more than one. I did watch Waratahs A at Rat Park against the two Shute Shield teams. He more than held his own, but he is a long way from the finished product.
He’d have been destroyed by Thor but so were the others. Hopefully that taste spurs him on, and along with the likely Junior Wallabies games this year, definitely agree that a few games against the old heads in shute shield will benefit him.

Watching the Reds & Brunbies tonight you see just how far off the pace the Tahs are at the moment. They might as well use this year to give some younger or fringe players a run to see if they are worth investing in long term. We need a major overhaul that’s for sure.
See jack lining up 2 nd grade for Randwick hope he has a cracker.

Oldgoldminer

Allen Oxlade (6)
Good to see you’ve come round the corner. I thought you were one of those anonymous heroes that enjoyed trying to tear down successful young men.

Good to see you’ve come round. For a long while I thought you were one of those anonymous online warriors that liked to tear down successful young men.
Thank goodness I was so wrong.