• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby 7s general chat

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Sad to hear that Snoz is taking a break. Whoever takes over has to have an intimate knowledge of Australian rugby and players, a lot of credibility as a former player, and preferably a sound record as a Sevens coach.

SevensPhD

Chris McKivat (8)
Sad to hear that Snoz is taking a break. Whoever takes over has to have an intimate knowledge of Australian rugby and players, a lot of credibility as a former player, and preferably a sound record as a Sevens coach.

I would demand a sound record as a Sevens coach should come first-why hire someone without a proven track record of successful COACHING? He would not be asked to play, so there is no need for credibility as a former player (a lot of top coaches never played at a high level). There is some benefit from playing experience, but not to the degree many put on it.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't know a huge amount about 7s outside of watching IRB Sevens on TV, but it would seem to me that finding an Aussie coach with any experience will be difficult. It's not like there are lots of jobs outside of being the Australian coach.

This is potentially a bit left field, but James Stannard's rugby career is getting towards its end and he has spent a lot of time playing 7s.

I wonder if he'd be a decent potential coach?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
This situation is exactly the reason that we need a properly structured 7's season in Australia. We need to have somewhere for coaches and players to develop their skills. There are enough regular competitions for this to happen.

The ARU has to provide some structure if they want this to be a success.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'd keep him where he is. A gold in the women is worth as much as one in the men. I actually think we have a much better chance in the Women so I wouldn't be changing anything there.

I agree. Let's not fiddle with the team that is currently working really well.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
he needs to be a successful 7's coach and have the right culture.
that is it. he doesnt need to be an australian. there is no "australian style of 7's rugby" 7's is exciting in and of its own right almost regardlesss of game plan! further i would suggest that current form suggests a coach from a much more successful 7s nation should come in!
i would suggest that the former england and kenya coach, mike friday if he is at all available. also the former england and possibly still current fiji coach, ben ryan. i understand there are a lot of issues in fiji and he has not been paid anything yet for his work.
both have been excellent coaches for two countries.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I would prefer a local, or somebody who understands Australian rugby (and rugby loig) because the biggest single challenge IMHO is talent identification.

There is a brilliant Sevens squad running around somewhere in this country. We just have to find it. Without taking anything away from the efforts of the current squad, we do need to strengthen in a few key areas. A couple of biggish, strong, clever, forwards, a play-maker or two (who can kick goals) and another finisher or two.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I would prefer a local, or somebody who understands Australian rugby (and rugby loig) because the biggest single challenge IMHO is talent identification.

don't think that's needed in 7s as we've pretty much shown that Australia doesn't really know 7s. This is one area where someone from outside the system may be of benefit. Perhaps a Ben Gollings? Who's the Fiji coach? He isn't getting paid, he may be an option.

In saying that, Ant Eddy is head of 7s isn't he? I reckon he will put his hand up.

Or David Nucifora.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
don't think that's needed in 7s as we've pretty much shown that Australia doesn't really know 7s. This is one area where someone from outside the system may be of benefit.

I stick to the point that we must have the talent, the challenge is to be able to identify it, and work out ways of bringing it into the Sevens squad. Snoz had the big advantage of having a lot of history in the game, presumably a great network of current and former coaches and others with a knowledge of the players who might be interested.

I do not minimise the point that we are not good at Sevens. That is a given. I doubt that we will turn that around in the near future, whereas a canny coach with a good head for talent might be able to unearth some rough diamonds, and polish them. Yes, a Sevens record is also a given.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I'd keep him where he is. A gold in the women is worth as much as one in the men. I actually think we have a much better chance in the Women so I wouldn't be changing anything there.

Just keep Nucifora as far away from the Women's sevens as possible and you will be OK.

Bloody Fiji have locked Ben Ryan in until after the Olympics.
How about Paul Treu from Safferland? Have the Kenyans got him until the Olympics as well?

SevensPhD

Chris McKivat (8)
Best 7s coach available is Mike Friday, proven Series track record at England and Kenya. Outside of that, you have a few Kiwis like Geoff Alley that have been coaching 7s at a very high level for a long time, but will never take Titch's job. They are outsiders, but I know Mike is very good at scouting and developing 7s talent. I am sure O'Connor's local network would be happy to showcase their talent no matter who the new coach is.

Total agreement that a structured 7s competition is needed (and is in development) to develop both players and future Aussie coaches. But the Olympics are 2 years away, not enough time to blood an unproven, new international coach.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
New Zealand and Fiji, to name two of our strongest opponents, have long established traditions in Sevens. (I remember that the first couple of Hong Kong Sevens tournaments, back in the late seventies, New Zealand did not send a national team, they sent their champion provincial Sevens team!)

We are a long way behind the 8 ball. Or 7 ball, in this case.

Maybe each of the Soup franchises could be funded to establish a Sevens squad, who could play as curtain raisers at local derbies, and maybe try to get invites to play against NZ and/or Fijian rep Sevens sides?

We need a bit of lateral thinking -- at all levels of the game.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
I am sure it will never happen, but i think there should be a 7's tournament amongst new zealand and australian super rugby sides.
each team fields one 7's team and there are a selection of tournaments throughout the year. maybe 5. three in aus and two in NZ
Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, Auckland, Duneden (covered stadium)
That makes ten teams and you probably need 12 (4 in the cup, plate and bowl) so you invite rep sides from the pacific islands and a japan team.
keeps the tournaments in the aus/nz time zones and gets local interest going. i would imagine you could get additional television revenue to cover the cost of the teams from the television networks. plus these tournaments would be two day events, that i'd imagine would be attractive to some if not all of the cities.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
or you grab a samoa and a fiji team
or a hong kong local team (big market) and an Auckland based pacific islander 7's team...or or or, some varietal on that

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
I'm pitching a dark horse: Elia Tuqiri

Elia has been coaching Brisbane Fiji and Newstar 7s teams on the Aussie 'circuit' for more than 4 years or so and both teams have batted above average considering the playing personnel and the limited training time together that the teams usually have. Some of the boys in the Brisbane Fiji team don't play club rugby - only 7s.

In that time teams that he's coached have:
  • beaten the Aussie 7s team (at Noosa in 2011??) then had 5 players from that side who had previously been disregarded by the Aussie 7s system, picked up in the Aussie 7s system (Newstar)
  • Won the Kiama 7s, Brothers 7s and Southside 7s in 2013 (Brisbane Fiji)
  • Won Byron Bay 7s in 2010 (with Brisbane Nadro) & 2011 (Newstar)
In recent times Brisbane Fiji/Nadro has produced Tevita Kuridrani, Junior Rasolea, Samu Kerevi, Joey Lala and Nemani Nadolo (and JJ Taulagi - that's actually a 7s in-joke referring to how many teams he played for that now claim him as their own)
Newstar has produced Lindsay Crook, Pama Fou, Sean McMahon, Steph van der Walt and others.

I think he also played for Aussie 7s, and from watching the teams that he has coached it looks like he understands that 7s is not 15s but with fewer players on the field.