• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby 7s general chat

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Conveniently happens after Tom Taylor leads Toulon to a 46-17 away win in the Top 14. Don't think Mourad wanted him.

T

TOCC

Right.., Drew Mitchell didn't play in that match either, and Habana has also been released by Toulon to play in the Vegas Sevens.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
That's going to put a few noses out of joint in the squad.
Can't see them being allowed to vote him off the island a second time!

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Now that the 7's boys have played several tournaments and the half way point of the HSBC circuit is approaching, I think a speculative exercise is in order.

The question is this, given what you have seen so far of the HSBC circuit and Super Rugby I want you to pick a team (7+4 or whatever the bench is) that
a) What you would put on the park if the Gold Medal game was to be played tomorrow, considering who is in best form at this moment (consider injuries)
b) you would pick if you could choose anyone you wanted (current or former 7's players, Super Rugby or wallabies) in their hypothetical best 7's form.

I'll start

a)
1. Myers,
2. Jenkins (c)
3. Killingworth
4. Fa'alalavau
5. Clark
6. Holland
7. Hutchinson

8. Stannard
9. Jeloudev
10. Foley (Con)
11. Cusack
12. Kingston

b)
1. Sean McMahon
2. Jenkins
3. Myers
4. Fa'alalavau
5. Clark
6. Holland
7. Pama Fou

8. Stannard
9. Shannon Walker or Henry Speight
10. Jesse Parahi
12. Hutchinson

Notice no Quade. He's been poor to average so far and while his long pass can be such an asset in 7's, his footwork and speed is no longer so dazzling (just pretty decent) that it all makes up for his very poor technique around the tackle, get up and contest the ball which is so vital in 7's. Others I would have thought about including in a hypothetical world b) would be Bernard Foley and maybe Liam Gill.

Have a crack

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I've heard of him before as a guy American rugby fans hoped would come back to the sport when his NFL career was over. But he's been in the NFL for a while now and just signed a new 2 year contract. So for him to be able to do this is great, and whether he makes it or not it'll be good publicity.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Huge difference agreed, but a professional athlete with resources and time to burn shouldn't have an issue.

I think the mind change will be tougher

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
a)
1. Myers,
2. Jenkins (c)
3. Killingworth
4. Fa'alalavau
5. Clark
6. Holland
7. Hutchison

8. Stannard
9. Jeloudev
10. Foley (Con)
11. Cusack
12. Kingston

This has got to be really close to the final squad.

Pama Fou will have a chance to break into the squad if he proves his fitness in time. His challenge is made tougher by the fact that the rest of the squad is playing well. He was arguably our best player before he got injured though.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Huge difference in aerobic fitness requirements between NFL and 15s, let alone 7s.

It's going to be a huge challenge for him. There's been talk of this being a possibility for some time but its taken longer than either party would likely have wanted to eventuate. I doubt we'll see until at least Singapore but probably London and Paris. Fortunately for him he has the resources to dedicate himself to training at the OTC in Chula Vista in that time frame.

With that in mind it will be great to see Ebner back in Rugby regardless of its fleeting nature. He was one of the games best young players in regards to the US before he joined the NFL.

T

TOCC

Frank Winterstein has signed with the Australian 7's team.. Former NRL and Top League player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
but you'd think he will play Hong Kong? Along with Quade and Cummins? Or perhaps just watch and then play the remaining tournaments?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
but you'd think he will play Hong Kong? Along with Quade and Cummins? Or perhaps just watch and then play the remaining tournaments?

You'd have to think he plays at least one of HK and Singapore otherwise what's the point?

I thought Quade was potentially in for one of France/UK but not either of HK or Singapore.

Cummins will presumably play HK and Singapore.

Barring resting a couple of key certainties for the squad you'd think that France and UK will be closer to our final squad and really won't include any also-rans who have no chance of going to the Olympics.

I wonder what the plans are between the 7s series finishing in May and the Olympics in August? You'd think they'd want to play some practice games outside of just intra-squad fixtures to keep their match fitness and combinations rather than just training.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Frank Winterstein has signed with the Australian 7's team.. Former NRL and Top League player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hopefully on a highly incentivised contract. Pretty happy with what we currently have.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I really doubt we'll see Cummins. I can't see him offering anything.
Yeah, his trick is that he's fearless. He's great running straight at a defender because he'll try and run through them which can be intimidating. Like he did to Charlie Sharples in the 2014 Twickenham test. But I'm not sure if he still has excess pace from what we saw at the Force in 2015.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Cummins will be given a crack as a forward.

A lot will depend on how physical and skilful he can be in contact and at the breakdown.