• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby 7s general chat

Marce

Jim Lenehan (48)
They are making the Aussie teams gear (whole team, not just rugby)
Are u sure? I saw a lot of Puma's apparel in recent days
20220726-194154.jpg

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Are u sure? I saw a lot of Puma's apparel in recent days
20220726-194154.jpg

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Yeah, I pretty sure it hasn't started yet but as an user said that Speedo is the official apparel for swimmers, Puma could be the official for Athletics...
They’re not, for the Comm Games its Macron

Last edited:

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
There's a number of Rugby girls playing in the NRLW. Which is fair enough as they have the choice between playing Rugby for nothing or being paid to play in what's a pretty high quality competition. I know which one I'd choose in their shoes.

The aussie girls 7's squad if fully professional, Girls outside the squad that have seeked nrlw contacts

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
The aussie girls 7's squad if fully professional, Girls outside the squad that have seeked nrlw contacts
I think the consensus is the NRLW is the more stable option though and provides more opportunities for players to increase their earning capacity. They also have a clear growth plan over the next couple of years, establishing a professional domestic competition for women is likely more appealing in the long term than one international level touring squad.

I read somewhere the average NRLW player would be earning around $60k in 2022 based on contract value, win bonuses and incentives.

There are definitely some high earners in the Aussie 7s program. I believe Caslick is clocking up around $300k a year at the moment, but I think there would be daylight between her and the others. Whereas in the NRLW each team has two marquee spots where the players are also then employed by the NRL club in some capacity and that salary sits outside the cap.

Long story short, you can see why rugby players are going to NRLW, more opportunities for higher earning contracts. There would be girls in the current 7s squad who would realise they’re better off playing the numbers game and securing a spot in a competition with more available contracts long term.

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
Is that 300k from RA? I'm sure she has a few sponsors that would get the figure up.

I think the elite 7s will do alright with the draw card of the Olympics, Comm games and world travel. The next tier player will go to loig and I fear any talent in the 15s will go as well.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Is that 300k from Rugby Australia? I'm sure she has a few sponsors that would get the figure up.

I think the elite 7s will do alright with the draw card of the Olympics, Comm games and world travel. The next tier player will go to loig and I fear any talent in the 15s will go as well.

$300k across RA and sponsors, not sure what her RA contract value is. Mind you, I had that number quoted to me at a wedding last year by her partner, who was 15 tins deep. But I think it would be pretty accurate.