• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby 7s general chat

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
Being an Olympic, World Series and Comm Games champion means she'll be able to dine out on it forever and good on her. She was outstanding for the Roosters in the NRLW in her limited time.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
That's Lewy Holland! 300K is unders for Char she is the face of the sport for women, she's one of the few players that anyone other that us would know

Yep I agree - Lewis is a great bloke, I think he was maybe quoting unders as well. The context of the conversation wasn't for him to brag about her earnings, we were discussing what his future plans were regarding his own career, and he pretty much said he wasn't sure what he would end up doing, as they'd be able to live off her salary comfortably whilst she's playing and he can help setup their farm etc.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Yep I agree - Lewis is a great bloke, I think he was maybe quoting unders as well. The context of the conversation wasn't for him to brag about her earnings, we were discussing what his future plans were regarding his own career, and he pretty much said he wasn't sure what he would end up doing, as they'd be able to live off her salary comfortably whilst she's playing and he can help setup their farm etc.

They own & run a cattle farm at stanhope, when Lewy finished up at the rebels he went up there to run it full time. He has a few smaller sponsors himself as well. They both have done really well for themselves outside of Rugby.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
They own & run a cattle farm at stanhope, when Lewy finished up at the rebels he went up there to run it full time. He has a few smaller sponsors himself as well. They both have done really well for themselves outside of Rugby.
He has been playing for Sydney Uni this year so I am not sure how often he is at the farm.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The trouble with 7s is there's no way to generate income from it. We host the Sydney 7s annually but how else can we generate income other than sponsorship? World Rugby were looking at some new series more compatible with TV and trying to get broadcast $$$. Whether the players get that money who knows. Perhaps a couple of franchise leagues may be the go (and the NRLW can be identified as a source of players too).

Meanwhile, squads announced.

Australian teams for Rugby World Cup Sevens:
Women

1. Demi Hayes (Co-captain)
2. Charlotte Caslick (Co-captain)
3. Maddison Levi
4. Teagan Levi
5. Madison Higgins-Ashby
6. Sharni Williams
7. Tia Hinds
8. Alysia Lefau-Fakaosilea
9. Dominique Du Toit
10. Faith Nathan
11. Lily Dick
12. Sariah Paki
13. Bienne Terita

Men
1. Henry Hutchison
2. Billy Meakes
3. Corey Toole
4. Dietrich Roache
5. James Turner
6. Henry Paterson
7. Josh Turner
8. Matt Gonzalez
9. Stu Dunbar
10. Nick Malouf (Captain)
11: Maurice Longbottom
12. Nathan Lawson
13. Ben Marr

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
What about Super Rugby 7s (inc. NZ and Drua)? Timing obviously the issue. Would be a great event side by side with the Super Round.

Mens and womens. I actually don't think cohesion is that important in 7s so limited time together wouldn't be that bad.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I think the consensus is the NRLW is the more stable option though and provides more opportunities for players to increase their earning capacity. They also have a clear growth plan over the next couple of years, establishing a professional domestic competition for women is likely more appealing in the long term than one international level touring squad.

I read somewhere the average NRLW player would be earning around $60k in 2022 based on contract value, win bonuses and incentives.

There are definitely some high earners in the Aussie 7s program. I believe Caslick is clocking up around $300k a year at the moment, but I think there would be daylight between her and the others. Whereas in the NRLW each team has two marquee spots where the players are also then employed by the NRL club in some capacity and that salary sits outside the cap.

Long story short, you can see why rugby players are going to NRLW, more opportunities for higher earning contracts. There would be girls in the current 7s squad who would realise they’re better off playing the numbers game and securing a spot in a competition with more available contracts long term.

That's not quite right. The bigger names would be earning close to $60k which includes the two game Women's Origin from next year. While each club will be allowed to contract two marquee players of over $100k a season (which would involve employment opportunities outside of football) outside of the cap. Which will be $350k as of next season for a squad of 24 or so players.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
The trouble with 7s is there's no way to generate income from it. We host the Sydney 7s annually but how else can we generate income other than sponsorship? World Rugby were looking at some new series more compatible with TV and trying to get broadcast $$$. Whether the players get that money who knows. Perhaps a couple of franchise leagues may be the go (and the NRLW can be identified as a source of players too).

Meanwhile, squads announced.

Australian teams for Rugby World Cup Sevens:
Women

1. Demi Hayes (Co-captain)
2. Charlotte Caslick (Co-captain)
3. Maddison Levi
4. Teagan Levi
5. Madison Higgins-Ashby
6. Sharni Williams
7. Tia Hinds
8. Alysia Lefau-Fakaosilea
9. Dominique Du Toit
10. Faith Nathan
11. Lily Dick
12. Sariah Paki
13. Bienne Terita

Men
1. Henry Hutchison
2. Billy Meakes
3. Corey Toole
4. Dietrich Roache
5. James Turner
6. Henry Paterson
7. Josh Turner
8. Matt Gonzalez
9. Stu Dunbar
10. Nick Malouf (Captain)
11: Maurice Longbottom
12. Nathan Lawson
13. Ben Marr

What about Super Rugby 7s (inc. NZ and Drua)? Timing obviously the issue. Would be a great event side by side with the Super Round.

Mens and womens. I actually don't think cohesion is that important in 7s so limited time together wouldn't be that bad.

Super Rugby 7s wouldn't be a bad idea in my opinion. Could even look to make it an Asia-Pacific focused competition by opening up opportunities for some of our northern neighbours to host teams. As for timing. September-December would be a solid shout.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Jesse Southwell won Gold with our women's team in Birmingham and is currently playing halfback for the Knights. It's not just fringe players.

Shes doesn't have a RA contract (I assume because of her age she would have only been 16 when they got done) & she took the Knights deal for 1 because they changed their own rules for her to play & 2 to play with her sister.

Hopefully we can get her back full time for next years world series

pissedoffihavetoregister

Bill Watson (15)
Shes doesn't have a Rugby Australia contract (I assume because of her age she would have only been 16 when they got done) & she took the Knights deal for 1 because they changed their own rules for her to play & 2 to play with her sister.

Hopefully we can get her back full time for next years world series
Did you see her big sister did her ACL 20mins into the first match of the season? That's very rough luck.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Super Rugby 7s wouldn't be a bad idea in my opinion. Could even look to make it an Asia-Pacific focused competition by opening up opportunities for some of our northern neighbours to host teams. As for timing. September-December would be a solid shout.

Would have to run a tournament each week though. That’s the problem with the 7s format, the broadcast opportunities for a single game aren’t really worthwhile.

Could play a few games before the Super Rugby kickoff, maybe a game at halftime and a few games after

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Would have to run a tournament each week though. That’s the problem with the 7s format, the broadcast opportunities for a single game aren’t really worthwhile.

Could play a few games before the Super Rugby kickoff, maybe a game at halftime and a few games after

That's doable imo. There was an article by Geoff Parkes on The Roar a few years back based around something similar to a 6 week 7s competition. Just from an Australian perspective we could take our 5 franchises plus the Fijiana and look to a couple of Asian national 7s teams to be based here. I'm of the opinion that we should be focusing on this a primarily a womens structure so we could go with just the 8 squads using a progressive 'elimination' format where teams are drawn against one another and depending on results they progressively fall into certain game that would results in teams playing 3 games each round, ranking points. Could be first past the post or even hold a finals round. Whatever.

pissedoffihavetoregister

Bill Watson (15)
With quite a few of the next series of young players going to league it could be a tough time for the top team soon. It takes a while for young players to get enough experience to come good. Hopefully, there are a heap more levi sisters lining up. Someone should tell their mum!

Last edited:

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
With quite a few of the next series of young players going to league it could be a tough time for the top team soon. It takes a while for young players to get enough experience to come good. Hopefully, there are a heap more levi sisters lining up. Someone should tell their mum!

Sharni Williams is at the other end of her & other than Char everyone is still so young. The Levi's came back to 7's because its full time & aflw is still only 6 months. Thats our carrot

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
I think the top level talent will be alright as there is a career on offer and there is a direct path to 7s that doesn't have to go through 15s. There will definitely be eyes on it though as more NRLW Clubs are brought in. Just look at how good Emma Tonegato has been for the Dragons and NSW Women's. Good chance she'll be the Australian Fullback come the RLWC