• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby 7s general chat

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
is this it reg?

I like this set up in it being state based. If I was asked to set up the elite pathway feeding the national teams it would be state based series exactly like this feeding directly into state based selections aligned with Super Rugby squads in a Spring/Summer series that could be promoted and packaged as part of our broader TV deal.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
I like this set up in it being state based. If I was asked to set up the elite pathway feeding the national teams it would be state based series exactly like this feeding directly into state based selections aligned with Super Rugby squads in a Spring/Summer series that could be promoted and packaged as part of our broader TV deal.

now would be the perfect time to do a 6 week block tournament leading into the world series. I personally think we need to more lean towards an nrc type model of 8 teams. If we go down state path it would be almost as un-competitive as super w atm.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
now would be the perfect time to do a 6 week block tournament leading into the world series. I personally think we need to more lean towards an nrc type model of 8 teams. If we go down state path it would be almost as un-competitive as super w atm.

Perhaps. Wouldn't mind the 8 team concept either. Include the Drua.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Southwell named nrlw rookie of the year & led her side to a premiership today. Will prob go to the RLWC. Nrlw is still very part time, there maybe 12 better players playing 7's atm but now is the time to sign her to a full time gig! let her go play in the world cup but get her back for the hsbc full time after that.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Southwell named nrlw rookie of the year & led her side to a premiership today. Will prob go to the RLWC. Nrlw is still very part time, there maybe 12 better players playing 7's atm but now is the time to sign her to a full time gig! let her go play in the world cup but get her back for the hsbc full time after that.

I suspect she'll be signed as one of the Knights marquee players next season. Which means she'll be one of 2 on $100k as a full time Knights player/employee.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
won't they have milie and the fullback as their two full time players I would guess.
Will be interesting to see actually. The cap is set for $350k next season not including the two marquee spots. That needs to accomodate 22/23 other players. There are also 4 new teams entering. So there will be even more competition for talent. Hell of a balancing act for the clubs. But I cannot see Southwell not being offered a full time gig somewhere. Newcastle will have to likely lose one of Boyle, Upton, Southwell or Dib you'd imagine.

I could actually see both Boyle and Upton heading back north of the border seeing as the Cowboys will be entering next season and there's likely to be movement from both Brisbane and the Gold Coast toward them opening up a few spots.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
‘Pretty good’ is an understatement, he was amongst the best on the circuit
I could see O’Donnell making more of a fist of 15s than Toole. Not sure his position before playing 7s, just seems a wider skill set than being really, really fast and elusive. That being said, I hope they both succeed.
and I wouldn’t mind seeing Roche and Paterson have a go at 15s.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
I could see O’Donnell making more of a fist of 15s than Toole. Not sure his position before playing 7s, just seems a wider skill set than being really, really fast and elusive. That being said, I hope they both succeed.

Paterson is at easts & plays Shute shield but you wouldn't pick him ahead of Pietch or MN for a tahs jersey

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
They both played in the game against the Tahs development side. Toole showed some of his special 7s skills and made one scintillating run while his defence was top class - ask KB (Kurtley Beale) about a couple of tackles he put on him.

BO'D on the other hand looked more than a little lost, especially when he moved to 15 late in the game. His handling let him down on a couple of occasions and he didn't get to break the line while on the wing.

I hope they both prosper (obviously). I really rated O'Donnell at 7s but in that one game of 15s, Toole was the better performer.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
He plays on the wing? Shows how they transfer to 15s. He seems bigger in 7s and I thought he’d be a loose forward maybe.

I believe so, tahs have also got Turner who played a couple of games late in the season. Your right though he looks bloody good on the 7's circ. He prob should get Toole's contract. I'm not sure of the dividends from world rugby but winning it may mean we can give an extra contract or 2 next season or even a full squad if we can get a naming right sponsor on the front of the jersey

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Thanks for the input, kind of shows how specialized 7s is these days. I obviously pictured Toole as a winger, but I wasn’t sure where they’d play O’D. Would it be hard for Toole to juggle Super Rugby and the 7s?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Thanks for the input, kind of shows how specialized 7s is these days. I obviously pictured Toole as a winger, but I wasn’t sure where they’d play O’D. Would it be hard for Toole to juggle Super Rugby and the 7s?
Drew, you might not have caught up with the score Rebels 35 def Brumbies 17. Half time 21 - 0.

Three tries scored for the Brumbies; one each to Toole and O'Donnell; the third by Charlie Cale a tall, rangy No 8 and one for the future. Should come to the fore after RWC 23 I reckon. Has pace and great stepping, and looks to be strong at lineout.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Interesting to see Emily Bass, who was part of the Broncos NRLW team this year, turn out for Bond in the Uni 7s over the weekend.