• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby boots - recommend something for a front rower...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I've had to retire the CCC plastic moulded units I was using for the last two seasons and have today started researching boots. Unfortunately, being the start of cricket season, most of the stores around the place are short of stock, and besides which almost none of them are selling stud boots which cuts down the options around here at least.

So why am I considering studs? Well this year was pretty wet for rugby in Sydney and on a few occasions we got soft grounds where the round sprigs on my mouldies weren't cutting it on a loose top layer of mud. Ordinarly, the grounds are so hard (cricket pitches!) that screw-ins are popping up through your feet all day - so I think its better to have the option of short/long studs on the day. That said, some of the moulded boots (Blades in particular) have pretty chunky tread on them and offer better overall support.

So I'm likely to offer my body up for another season or two at prop and/or hooker and need something with a decent bit of grip, and good comfort factor preferably with some arch support. Most of the grounds we play on are council-owned and generally are hard as a rock within a couple of weeks of season starting.

Somewhere in Sydney to buy decent boots would also be good to know.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I used always wear puma or asic high cut boots. They only come in screw ins. I went straight to the supplier for them.

H

Henners

If you prefer a high cut of boot, for ankle support etc the Canterbury Rampage are quality boots. However if you play a bit looser and want a light comfortable pair the Canterbury Wero stock are a good buy.

Sorry don't know Sydney stores, but I wouldnt think you would have any problem finding those boots, worst comes to worst just go to a Canterbury store for them.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
The one CCC store I visited yesterday doesn't stock boots at all. Some of them are becoming "Canterbury Clothing Store" setups and only have limited playing gear such as boots and mouthguards. I saw the Wero boots and they look alright.

The Chosen

Fred Wood (13)
It is getting more & more difficult to purchase metal studded boots. Obviously most of the players in the Hong Kong Test wore plastic moulded and the resultant spills true evidence of this!
Last year my son wore the Canterbury Rampage and they were good- this year downgraded to his training boot.
At start of this season the only metal studded boots @ Rebel Sport were Gilberts- a boot he has previously liked. Ended up purchasing a pair( with discount) at a local Sportspower franchise where he was fitted correctly. He played School(CAS) Ist XV and majority of fields played on were of a pretty good standard- number of wet days this season and he was of opinion the metal studs are still way to go!

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Are they down on Church Street jinks? Bit of an arse to get to Parramatta but would be worth it to get properly fitted boots...

H

hi-jinks

They are. To be honest I went there for the 1st time recently. It is quite awesome.
If you can - always go for 6 studs at the front - 2 at the back - better traction - even if you go low cut.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
hi-jinks said:
They are. To be honest I went there for the 1st time recently. It is quite awesome.
If you can - always go for 6 studs at the front - 2 at the back - better traction - even if you go low cut.

The more studs you get the better it is when the fields dry out as well. With only four at the front the pressure going through to your foot can be uncomfortable.

I dont rate Gilbert boots. Never tried CCC.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
I've only ever worn studs. And I'm old enough that I remember when only poofy backs wore boots that didn't come up to your ankle. I'm LG Jr. these days, aren't I...? :-\

But I digress...

Get a 6/2 front/back split. And get 21 mm studs. The usual ones are 19, but the extra 2mm do make a difference.

I've never worn a pair of Mizunos that I haven't liked. Had a pair of Koogas before the last Mizunos, and they were lovely, too, but didn't last, I regret to say. The Mizunos are excellent, but do have a tendency with feet like mine (I've size 12 feet) to shrink, as the kangaroo leather doesn't like the damp.

But what I now have are Rugbytechs, and I can honestly say I've never found a better boot. Love 'em, and they're like foot-gloves. PLease God, they'll get a few last hit-outs before the end of the season.

Different boots are cut on different blocks, so try between those three brands. I don't like Canterbury boots, so I'd avoid them, as they're expensive for not much.

One thing that is relevant is that your feet will lock in more. Be careful on dry ground; that's how I popped my knee first day.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
We get very little but dry ground Oirish - in a typical season. This year was atypical of our supposedly Mediterranean climate, with quite a bit of wet weather occuring around the June equinox and reducing many grounds to slop, especially on finals day (to which Scarfy and Lindommer can attest).

I've not seen the Mizunos around much but will look them up.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Thomond78 said:
And get 21 mm studs. The usual ones are 19, but the extra 2mm do make a difference.

On Australian grounds the difference that 2mm will make is to drive the casing of the stud screw through into your foot causing blisters and bruises. Unless its a wet season our grounds are generally pretty hard.

I think you can get 15mm (or thereabouts) studs Nick. Alternatively, see if someone has an old set of 19s that have been worn down a bit. Use 19s for wet games. It would be rare for you to need 21mm unless you tour Ireland. By way of comparison, I am guessing that mouldeds probably have about 14mm studs.

I was rucked on the back by a halfback wearing moulded soles one day. It didnt do any damage and felt a bit like a back massage.

F

formeropenside

Cutter said:
I was rucked on the back by a halfback wearing moulded soles one day. It didnt do any damage and felt a bit like a back massage.

But you cant rule out that might have been just because he was a halfback, and not due to the moulded soles.

I dont know how anyone could pack into a scrum in moulded soles: yes its nice and soft on your feet, but gives next to no grip.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Yeah but you might be accustomed to better quality turf than the concrete we play on in 5th Division former :) Almost every ground for the lower clubs has the barest skerricks of turf and rarely anything with some give in it. Doesn't really matter how long your studs are then.

The CCC boots I've been using were about 15mm Cutter, but all the front grip was angled backwards which made propping reasonably straightforward.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Cutter said:
Thomond78 said:
And get 21 mm studs. The usual ones are 19, but the extra 2mm do make a difference.

On Australian grounds the difference that 2mm will make is to drive the casing of the stud screw through into your foot causing blisters and bruises. Unless its a wet season our grounds are generally pretty hard.

That is a very very good peice of advice. I'd even recommend less than 19 if you can - I used to use 19s as a second rower / flanker in the lower grade subbies, and used to get all sorts of blister problems with them. Wearing two pairs of socks helps, but I still got them.

Admittedly, that was with a Canterbury boot. It did the job, but wasn't the best boot I could recommend.

On the other hand, I do remember drooling in jealousy at the asshole backs who wore either very low mouldeds or sometimes semi-running shoes to training. There is a big difference when doing 4k runs in 19s / 21s vs the mouldeds.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
The Blackheath boys played in the Central West division. Us backs often wore grassports. You risk breaking a toe or two but at least your studs weren't sliding around on the glasstop.

Tony Greig couldn't have got his key into a few of those pitches.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I might get a pair of Grasscats for training and save the studs for game day - after breaking them in over summer of course.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I'd be surprised if you could get away with no studs as a prop. Do you do live scrums?

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Scarfman said:
The Blackheath boys played in the Central West division. Us backs often wore grassports. You risk breaking a toe or two but at least your studs weren't sliding around on the glasstop.

Scarfie, you, a back? :nta: :nta: :nta: Oh my goodness! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Status
Not open for further replies.