• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby Championship 2012: Our Backline

Status
Not open for further replies.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Correction, if I had all players fit and firing Turner would miss out in a 30 man squad...

SH: Genia, White
FH: Cooper, Lealiifano, Barnes
C: McCabe, Horne, Tapuai
W/FB: Ioane, Beale, Mitchell, Tomane, JOC (James O'Connor), AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

Your man love for Tomane and McCabe are a little over the top. I can't see how Tomane offers more than either JOC (James O'Connor) or AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper).

Proud Pig

Ted Thorn (20)
His faults are that he finds it difficult to find the try-line and he lacks the skill to beat a man 1v1. Everything else in his game is very solid, but a winger needs to be able to score tries. He does not.
I don't agree with that at all. He is probably the quickest player in the country when fully fit and firing.
The problem is playing for the Waratahs invokes a risk adverse style rather than a free flowing structure where he can show his true value.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
For those that say JOC (James O'Connor) is too small for 12.

Our greatest 12 ever was only 1 inch taller (apparently 6 foot, but I reckon he is a touch under) and 4 kgs heavier.

If JOC (James O'Connor) puts on 2 kgs of muscle - is he then ok to play 12?

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)

Our greatest 12 ever was only 1 inch taller (apparently 6 foot, but I reckon he is a touch under) and 4 kgs heavier.

Measurements should have nothing to do with it, people just get so hung up on numbers these days.

Reactions: DPK

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

When JOC (James O'Connor) Shows he can successfully shutdown Nonu or SBW then he can have the 12 jersey whenever he wants. Atm our best players to do this is only Barnes and McCabe.

I don't agree with that at all. He is probably the quickest player in the country when fully fit and firing.
The problem is playing for the Waratahs invokes a risk adverse style rather than a free flowing structure where he can show his true value.

He is quick but I have not once witnessed him use his speed. You can't fully blame the Tahs as he has had many Test opportunities already and unfotunately has not shown any great attacking ability. He is solid but he is no attacker.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
When JOC (James O'Connor) Shows he can successfully shutdown Nonu or SBW then he can have the 12 jersey whenever he wants. Atm our best players to do this is only Barnes and McCabe.

I think the only way we can truly find out if JOC (James O'Connor) can defend at 12 at the Test level* is by playing him there for a few games.

*I don't think you can apply a lot of the defensive statistics from Super Rugby to the Test level.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Your man love for Tomane and McCabe are a little over the top. I can't see how Tomane offers more than either JOC (James O'Connor) or AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper).

Um, I think you might've misread that.......

Those weren't rankings.......

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I feel that tomorrow will be a big day for this backline in terms of the TRC (can we use this as an abbreviation for The Rugby Championship. I am getting sick of typing it).

They haven't blown Wales off the park in this series but I think they've been really solid. I think it's fair to say that aside from Vuna, every player has played well.

If they have another good game and we win tomorrow, they will make it really difficult for players like Cooper and JOC (James O'Connor) to jump straight back in to the starting side.

I am not sure when Tapuai is expected back from injury, but with McCabe and Horne performing well and Barnes, JOC (James O'Connor), Fainga'a and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) all potential midfield players, I will be very surprised if he plays test rugby this year.

The same goes for Mitchell. If Beale stays healthy at 15 and Ioane has a complete mortgage on 11, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), JOC (James O'Connor) and possibly Tomane will be all competing for the 14 jersey and will be well ahead of Mitchell.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I think the only way we can truly find out if JOC (James O'Connor) can defend at 12 at the Test level* is by playing him there for a few games.

*I don't think you can apply a lot of the defensive statistics from Super Rugby to the Test level.

You are probably right, he deserves a few games to see how he goes and I truely hope he does well as he'd be the perfect attacking weopon at 12. However I do keep thinking about the Brumbies Vs Rebels game with McCabe V JOC (James O'Connor) at 12. McCabe dominated that game with his crash-balling and direct play. JOC (James O'Connor) struggled to contain him. Im not saying McCabe is a better option but SBW and/or Nonu at test level would be even harder to contain then McCabe at Super level. So I'd struggle to see how JOC (James O'Connor) would be defensively successful at 12 for the Wallabies.

I would have loved to see how he goes vs Wales. but unfortunately that moment has passed and I would rather not trial him against the ABs (our strongest opposition).

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
You are probably right, he deserves a few games to see how he goes and I truely hope he does well as he'd be the perfect attacking weopon at 12. However I do keep thinking about the Brumbies Vs Rebels game with McCabe V JOC (James O'Connor) at 12. McCabe dominated that game with his crash-balling and direct play. JOC (James O'Connor) struggled to contain him. Im not saying McCabe is a better option but SBW and/or Nonu at test level would be even harder to contain then McCabe at Super level. So I'd struggle to see how JOC (James O'Connor) would be defensively successful at 12 for the Wallabies.

I would have loved to see how he goes vs Wales. but unfortunately that moment has passed and I would rather not trial him against the ABs (our strongest opposition).

Tom Carter smacked him about as well ...

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
I like
9 Genia
10 Barnes (no reason to unseat him after his exceptional play)
11 Ioane
12 McCabe
13 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14 JOC (James O'Connor) if available otherwise Tomane or Mitchell
15 Beale

20 White
21 Horne, Faainga, Tapuai or Inman (a great hard yards centre)
22 Mitchell/Tomane

kiwi_rugby_fan

Frank Nicholson (4)
For myself JOC (James O'Connor) is someone you play for 80, he ignites games. I'd try him at 13 because while he doesn't have the size for dominant tackling in the 12 channel that is a factor in the modern game, in open space he's a superb tackler.

Add the playmaking ability one out from our 10 and our attack is boosted. We lose some midfield defensive edge but not much.

Cooper at 10 because his long pass and read of the game is superb. The only player who can bring us what Cooper does is Beale, but why move the best fullback in rugby to 10?

Beale is good I grant you, but by no means the best 15 in the game

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Does anyone else feel Ioane is the modern day Campese ? The guy can be absolutely brilliant and inimitable in attack. But then turns arounds and makes some of the most elementary schoolboy errors with handling and ball security.
I'm still waiting for him to learn to catch, pass, and kick to round out his phenomenal talent with ball running and footwork.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
The James Hook kick through. But in general, no other Wallaby seems to be so hot and cold.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Barring injury, I think JOC (James O'Connor) might make the bench, but the backline will remain the same for the first TRC test.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Barring injury, I think JOC (James O'Connor) might make the bench, but the backline will remain the same for the first TRC test.

I think you're right about that, but I'd give JOC (James O'Connor) good odds of knocking off AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) for the 14 jersey after a game or two.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I think you're right about that, but I'd give JOC (James O'Connor) good odds of knocking off AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) for the 14 jersey after a game or two.

Id bet money that JOC (James O'Connor) will start over AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) on the wing.

Status
Not open for further replies.