• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby Championship in an Aussie bubble?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm not sure what you're arguing here but I guess it's that the matches have to be moved to Aus since it's fairer for both parties right.

Seems pretty simple to me. NZ = hotel isolation. Aus = not required.

No brainer where to play the matches.

Just a FWIW, No Super Rugby, NRL, AFL or A-league player (or support staff) has tested positive for COVID so far. Bubbles work.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Never going to happen! Surely everyone will have to have a few days and then test negative before they train, for christ sake how important does everyone think a Wallaby test is, that NZ should throw out all controls. Noone can tell me that 3 days is to tough, christ how do they handle going to NH, they travel 2 days and then have a couple of days before training. Really a lot of hoohaa over bugger all, they will sort it out. Still sells papers etc, you only have to read any papers or watch news you know everything is blown up. According to news here NSW and QLD at war etc , just everyone calm down.

No one has been pushing for the quarantine to be amended, that only has to happen if NZR is dead set on playing the first Bledisloe on the 10th, instead of the 17th as originally arranged. Play it on the 17th and everything is fine. This is a problem NZR are making for themselves.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Never going to happen! Surely everyone will have to have a few days and then test negative before they train, for christ sake how important does everyone think a Wallaby test is, that NZ should throw out all controls. Noone can tell me that 3 days is to tough, christ how do they handle going to NH, they travel 2 days and then have a couple of days before training. Really a lot of hoohaa over bugger all, they will sort it out. Still sells papers etc, you only have to read any papers or watch news you know everything is blown up. According to news here NSW and QLD at war etc , just everyone calm down.

The only one worked up is ol' 54.

Ideally the WBs dont travel to NZ unless they can train through. Ideally. Alternately do it in Aus where "bubble" restrictions are considered on different terms for sporting teams.

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
And still unacceptable I’d imagine. Train from day 1 or nothing.

I'm not so sure the changes are unacceptable.

Under previous restrictions if the Wallabies left the day after the SRAu final they would have 5 days as a full squad to prepare for the first test (source: The Australian). Clearly unacceptable.

Under the new proposal announced this morning they could train as a full squad after 6 days which would give them 13 or 14 days to train together before the first test on Oct 10. They could do smaller group training after 3 days. This doesn't seem too unreasonable or out of line with previous camp conditions however Dave Rennie and Co will ultimately be the arbiter of this.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Why can't they test negative in Aus beforehand? some trust issues?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yeah odd, train in QLD for two weeks where there's fewer cases than NZ, test negative then still have to quarantine.

Yep well ABs etc have to train when they come to Aus and rightly so, they go right outside bubble when travelling. Don't give me the Qld has fewer cases than NZ it;s a country thing, ABs will be in Wellington and no cases there, but still have to quarantine!
Hell NSW can't came to Qld or WA without quarantine so ................

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
No one has been pushing for the quarantine to be amended, that only has to happen if NZR is dead set on playing the first Bledisloe on the 10th, instead of the 17th as originally arranged. Play it on the 17th and everything is fine. This is a problem NZR are making for themselves.

I agree it should be on 17th, and it will be when BOTH unions want. All the rest is bullshit paper talk.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
The only one worked up is ol' 54.

Ideally the WBs dont travel to NZ unless they can train through. Ideally. Alternately do it in Aus where "bubble" restrictions are considered on different terms for sporting teams.

I wasnt getting worked up, just pointing out to qwerty that it's ridiculous to say look at Europe they still playing, and even anyone who thinks that psorting teams seemingly can't carry the virus.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Yep well ABs etc have to train when they come to Aus and rightly so, they go right outside bubble when travelling. Don't give me the Qld has fewer cases than NZ it;s a country thing, ABs will be in Wellington and no cases there, but still have to quarantine!
Hell NSW can't came to Qld or WA without quarantine so ......
Honestly don't see why the ABs can't test negative before coming to Aus. Obviously, they need to stay in the bubble once they get here just like we would need to over there.

Seems like a pretty simple, practical and low risk solution.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The whole bubble thing is the key. They aren't leaving the bubble on either side.

I don't think there is any plan to allow players to go through a quarantine period and then roam freely through the community on either side of the Tasman. They will stay isolated to avoid any risk of exposure as much as possible because if there is a case within a squad once they're in camp, test matches will get cancelled.

It is not unreasonable that there are different expectations and requirements for what should be required because the desired outcome isn't at all similar to a regular punter arriving from overseas and having to quarantine.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I wasnt getting worked up, just pointing out to qwerty that it's ridiculous to say look at Europe they still playing, and even anyone who thinks that psorting teams seemingly can't carry the virus.

Dan to paraphrase your post - "shrill, shrill, SHRILL!!! (oh, and a call to others to please calm down)".

The issue here is pretty simple. Right now Australia offers better conditions for visiting teams than NZ. As with anything to do with he virus things can change quickly and the more time available is opportunity for even better conditions.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
NZR really haven't been covering themselves in glory through this process:

When the tournament was set to be played in New Zealand, the Herald was told NZR was reluctant to condense the schedule in order to have the final fixtures played on December 5.
But with the All Blacks now the team that will have to undergo a two-week quarantine before they can see their families for Christmas, NZR is happy to have the schedule condensed.
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...loe-scheduling-stand-off-20200914-p55vkl.html

No wonder everyone else is tired of their shit

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Is there any reason why we can't start TRC a week or two earlier, then just shift these two games in NZ to the end? That way both teams have to do their 2 week quarantine in the same conditions?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Is there any reason why we can't start TRC a week or two earlier, then just shift these two games in NZ to the end? That way both teams have to do their 2 week quarantine in the same conditions?
Yes - SA can barely make the window with their European players as it is (I suspect they will just send an SA only squad if they go ahead at all). Probably applies to Argentinian players and any locks we bring back from France.

The international window for mandatory release doesn't start until 7 November or something like that.

Try-ranosaurus Rex

Darby Loudon (17)

The Rugby Championships is scheduled for the international window defined by World Rugby.

I strongly suspect the Argies and Saffas would tell us to go f&*k ourselves if we tried to push TRC earlier.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
If the test is played in NZ, the Wallabies will have exactly the same prep time as ABs, if they leave next Wednesday!
Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern announced on Tuesday the Wallabies would be able to start training three days after arrival and commence full squad sessions after six days. That, reckoned Foster, would give them a 13-day preparation period leading into the first test, which was the exact period he would have.
He was basing that on the Wallabies leaving Australia next Wednesday, which would allow them some time to rest and assess following Saturday’s Super Rugby Australia final.
“I expect them to hop on a plane and come and play us that weekend (of October 10-11),” said the All Blacks coach.
“They’ll have nine full days of training in isolation, then another four full days out which effectively gives them 13 full days. That equates to the All Blacks’ preparation time of a three-day camp, a four-day camp and then a six-day test week.
“[That] has given us a situation that both teams have sufficient, adequate and equal time to prepare and I can’t wait for them to come over.”
MARC HINTON • SENIOR SPORTS WRITER

Foster said after some back and forth, with new Wallabies coach Dave Rennie threatening to play just a single Bledisloe in New Zealand, it was important not to get personal around a moving feast with “everyone fighting for their corner”.
“We’ve got two sides of the Tasman just trying to deal with all the variables of quarantining and what it looks like, and a whole lot of stuff we don’t know,” he said.
“We’re planning on a nine-week stint in Australia now. But if we move the [second] Bledisloe back to [October 24], they want us to then embark on a Sunday with 46 players, without sufficient time to assess medically or give any player welfare family time.
“We want a bit of time after the second Bledisloe. They’ve asked for more time after their Super Rugby final on [Saturday]. So now they’ve got 2-3 clear days to make those assessments, and they have adequate preparation time that is equal to ours.”
Both Foster and NZ Rugby chief executive Mark Robinson said the scheduling of both home Bledisloe tests was flexible. The first could be shifted to a Sunday to allow a longer lead-in and the second could also be moved away from a clash with Election Day, if that was deemed appropriate.
“There are a lot of things we’re trying to do to make it work for them. What we’ve all got is a responsibility to honour the legacy of a Bledisloe series,” added Foster.
And though the new All Blacks head coach was not keen to play the “what if” game around the Rugby Championship host decision, and the Government’s belated concessions at the border, he did take one swipe at the Aussies around reports they will host one of their clashes against the All Blacks in Brisbane.

“We’ve missed out on the Championship based on a proposal around basing it entirely in Sydney; then the next day we read we’re going play a game in Brisbane. There have been a lot of things said and late changes that have caused a lot of adaption.”
Seems there's 2 sides to every story

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Dan to paraphrase your post - "shrill, shrill, SHRILL!!! (oh, and a call to others to please calm down)".

The issue here is pretty simple. Right now Australia offers better conditions for visiting teams than NZ. As with anything to do with he virus things can change quickly and the more time available is opportunity for even better conditions.

Ok dru, I understand , you don't like me mate, I cool with that, but I stand by what I posted!
See I don't paraphrase just put reply to what people say, but as I say that's your way of doing things.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
The Rugby Championships is scheduled for the international window defined by World Rugby.

I strongly suspect the Argies and Saffas would tell us to go f&*k ourselves if we tried to push TRC earlier.

And rightfully so, RC has lost enough integrity with how it's been done, we shouldn't make it harder for SA and Pumas than it already is.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Ok dru, I understand , you don't like me mate, I cool with that, but I stand by what I posted!
See I don't paraphrase just put reply to what people say, but as I say that's your way of doing things.

Mate it isn't a like/don't like thing. Think you'd be great to have a beer with. Doesn't mean your posts don't grate.

Anyway, NZ PM to Aus PM, apparently, how weird is virus times. But she has not changed any of the issues already discussed. So either 3 days not training, then training in undersized groups - either it works for Rennie or it doesn't.