• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby Championship in an Aussie bubble?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ "....We were on a press conference today with the Bulls and we asked Duane Vermeulen and he said nobody has even spoken to them about the Rugby Championship just yet. If the players don't even know…they would have to be on a plane on Saturday night to begin quarantine so that seems very unlikely," Nel said."

Rules out journalistic enthusiasm I'd have thought.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Not trying to stir too much but this was all known weeks ago. The dates have been available for ages, why is SARU suddenly worried about player welfare? They knew that they'd only have 4 or 5 games before TRC and let negotiations progress before threatening to pull out at the eleventh hour.

Could last Sunday's game be a factor? Were they relying on Argentina and Aus being easy beats and just having two difficult games against NZ?

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Not trying to stir too much but this was all known weeks ago. The dates have been available for ages, why is SARU suddenly worried about player welfare? They knew that they'd only have 4 or 5 games before TRC and let negotiations progress before threatening to pull out at the eleventh hour.

Could last Sunday's game be a factor? Were they relying on Argentina and Aus being easy beats and just having two difficult games against NZ?

At the time when the dates were known it was not known
1. When squads were able to convene to train (which was weeks later)
2. When contact training would be allowed (even later)
3. If and when the government would allow them to go (announced on 10 October).

SANZAAR knew about this and SA participation was subject to this being resolved.

What is really concerning is the players have no clue what is going. That is on SA Rugby, and not a good look.

Reactions: dru

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

I would seriously doubt that a result like last Sunday's would ever make a difference to SA rugby, from my experience of Saffas and rugby it would more likely make them want to be in more than anything, the ones I have ever had much to do with (and there been a few) love a challenge in rugby, the harder the better.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
I cannot see why the Aussies keep banging on that the boks should take part with an underdone team

At the risk of sounding like a bastard the only inferral I can make is that Aussies don't see losing at rugby as such a big deal these days.

"Losing ain't so bad. Our national team have done a fair bit of it in the last few years. Hardly the end of the world".

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
So you argue that none of the reasons given is any grounds for concern.

I really winder how you would think about it had the shoe been on the other foot..

no not particularly, a whole lot of this situation is the Springboks own doing

*Players in Europe & Japan - This is the result of having a open door selection policy. It helped you greatly during the World Cup, while a pandemic isn't really a foreseeable outcome, its still a result of that decision.

*South Africa knew the dates of the competition, i don't think there's anyone denying that, so why leave it so late for raising these concerns? We have people going "we have no proof the agreed about coming", then where was the noise from SA when the test schedule came out? No "hold on we haven't agreed to that".....Radio silence

*With knowing the dates they also knew how many games/trainings players had to work with, player welfare was never raised at the time, if it were it would have made its way into the media, but it didn't.....which is why people think the excuse is a cop out

*Not wanting to get smashed - Deal with it? Your acting as if NZ and Aus wouldn't help you out and send in their most 2nd string team possible. SA didn't have any problem demolishing some minnow nations during the RWC on their way to victory, possibly being on the receiving end for once in your life isn't the end of the world

*Reports that players haven't even been spoken to yet - If true at absolute best this is gross incompetence and at worst shows they had their own agenda from the start and always planned on coming late/not at all

* Your contractually obligated to come - As I have said previously, while its not like for like, the fact SA was beating its chest about legal action around not following super obligations then turn around and say they may not be coming for tests, pretty hypocritical

Id still have the same position, id be livid if the Wallabies acted like South Africa. Imagine not wanting to play test matches because you don't want to get smashed, jesus Wallabies wouldn't have played half their games over the last decade. I would genuinely be embarrassed if the Wallabies and ARU acted like the Springboks and SARU have been, as I'm sure others here would be, we're critical of our management at the best of times as is

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
no not particularly, a whole lot of this situation is the Springboks own doing

*Players in Europe & Japan - This is the result of having a open door selection policy. It helped you greatly during the World Cup, while a pandemic isn't really a foreseeable outcome, its still a result of that decision.

*South Africa knew the dates of the competition, i don't think there's anyone denying that, so why leave it so late for raising these concerns? We have people going "we have no proof the agreed about coming", then where was the noise from SA when the test schedule came out? No "hold on we haven't agreed to that"...Radio silence

*With knowing the dates they also knew how many games/trainings players had to work with, player welfare was never raised at the time, if it were it would have made its way into the media, but it didn't...which is why people think the excuse is a cop out

*Not wanting to get smashed - Deal with it? Your acting as if NZ and Aus wouldn't help you out and send in their most 2nd string team possible. SA didn't have any problem demolishing some minnow nations during the RWC on their way to victory, possibly being on the receiving end for once in your life isn't the end of the world

*Reports that players haven't even been spoken to yet - If true at absolute best this is gross incompetence and at worst shows they had their own agenda from the start and always planned on coming late/not at all

* Your contractually obligated to come - As I have said previously, while its not like for like, the fact SA was beating its chest about legal action around not following super obligations then turn around and say they may not be coming for tests, pretty hypocritical

Id still have the same position, id be livid if the Wallabies acted like South Africa. Imagine not wanting to play test matches because you don't want to get smashed, jesus Wallabies wouldn't have played half their games over the last decade. I would genuinely be embarrassed if the Wallabies and ARU acted like the Springboks and SARU have been, as I'm sure others here would be, we're critical of our management at the best of times as is

I have repeatedly explained the issue with dates, what was agreed with SANZAAR, etc. You obviously chose to not read the thread or don't care about the facts. SA agreed, SANZAAR knew the issues. Scroll up.

As for not wanting to get smashed? We did plenty of that before Rassie. We don't really want more, thanks very much. There is absolutely NO WAY IN HELL that he ABs and their supporters will accept that. NEVER. Why should we now? To suggest it is the same thing as running over Namiba is just plain silly.

Gross incompetence is something SA rugby supporters are used to. there we can agree,

Having so many players overseas has something to do with economics. Either accomodate them or you will lose them for good. The AU and NZ economies do not create this unfortunate reality. That really is no longer a discussion worth having.

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
As for not wanting to get smashed? We did plenty of that before Rassie. We don't really want more, thanks very much. There is absolutely NO WAY IN HELL that he ABs and their supporters will accept that. NEVER. Why should we now? To suggest it is the same thing as running over Namiba is just plain silly.

Bullshit - the AB's would never say no to playing the Boks because they were worried about getting smashed.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Bullshit - the AB's would never say no to playing the Boks because they were worried about getting smashed.

Really?

If they were down to play a B team for reasons outside their control with minimal game time, nominal training possible and the Boks firing up after a couple of successful hard hitting tests?

I admire your confidence on this matter.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I cannot see why the Aussies keep banging on that the boks should take part with an underdone team

At the risk of sounding like a bastard the only inferral I can make is that Aussies don't see losing at rugby as such a big deal these days.

"Losing ain't so bad. Our national team have done a fair bit of it in the last few years. Hardly the end of the world".

By the same token - not participating in something because you might lose is silly too.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Really?

If they were down to play a B team for reasons outside their control with minimal game time, nominal training possible and the Boks firing up after a couple of successful hard hitting tests?

I admire your confidence on this matter.

Bang on dru, I would be pissed if NZR did it, as would most if RA did the same thing.

Reactions: dru

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
I have repeatedly explained the issue with dates, what was agreed with SANZAAR, etc. You obviously chose to not read the thread or don't care about the facts. SA agreed, SANZAAR knew the issues. Scroll up.

Gross incompetence is something SA rugby supporters are used to. there we can agree,

Having so many players overseas has something to do with economics. Either accomodate them or you will lose them for good. The AU and NZ economies do not create this unfortunate reality. That really is no longer a discussion worth having.

Yes we get it, you only knew on October 10th that you can travel, that doesn't mean you start trying to plan things on October 10th. There was a decent chance you would be available to play otherwise they would have pulled the pin months ago in July when all this was getting sorted out and we could've invited fiji or japan to the table, you guys didn't opt out. That means you plan as if you're going to leave the country at some stage, not wait until you have confirmation before you think about getting old mate Duane on the phone and seeing if he wants to get on a plane and leave for 2 months

Literally the shittest attitude ever, what if every nation had that attitude? half the nations in world rugby wouldn't exist. NZ would never be so disrespectful to the game of rugby, they'd turn up rain hail or shine and give it their best crack possible.

Why is it silly to compare it to SA pumping Namibia? They go to a world cup and get trounced in ever game they play, but people respect them, cause they give it a red hot go.

So you're saying that there's too many SA players who don't value the Springboks jersey enough to warrant getting paid a great salary in SA as opposed to a really great one overseas?

And what are you talking about, of course AUS and NZ have this problem AUS doesn't have it to the same scale as SA but we don't have near the participation numbers you do, nor is there anyway to measure the large impact League has in the country. It's simple you have an open door selection policy and you reaped the rewards at the rugby world cup, best of luck to you, this is the adverse side of that, cop it and get on with the job