• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby Championship in an Aussie bubble?

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
Now THAT would be truly bizarre.

I assume the SARU are a shareholder of the company - the company gets paid so they get their share.

Morally they should say sorry for the mucking around guys, feel free to split our share among yourselves.

I get the feeling they will be joining the 6 nations soon so aren't too worried about long term relationships so will take the cash.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Bitter what?

Yes, I am rather bitter.

If the recent quotes attributed to Duane Vermeulen are correct, and the players had not even been contacted about the RC, it suggests that RSA never had any intention of coming. I guess they were hoping their government would have announced that they can't travel and they could pull out of the tour with some honour.

FWIW, if the slipper were on the other foot, I would want Australia to participate. I'd rather watch us play and lose than not be there at all. But then, I am a Rebels' member so..... pretty used to that :p

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Can the three participating unions not negotiate the broadcasting deals for the competition and split the money amongst themselves (i.e. negotiate outside of the SANZAAR setup)?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Can the three participating unions not negotiate the broadcasting deals for the competition and split the money amongst themselves (i.e. negotiate outside of the SANZAAR setup)?
Cancel the 'Rugby Championship' and have some other shit that's the same thing but called something else.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Speculation:

COVID seems on a pretty poor trajectory in both RSA and Britain. Australia and NZ have shown flexibility introducing sportsmen from covid areas into “the bubble”. RSA govt is something of a lottery and the path for accepting BIL tourists is not clear. Could easily be a preference for BIL 2021 to be scheduled anywhere but RSA. SARU has blazed a trail on how to treat the “contract” conditions that apply.

OK speculation more “wild” than “idle”. At the same time SARU reputation may not be without its consequences.

Jaguardo

Peter Burge (5)
Tri-Nations Match Schedule

October 31: Australia v New Zealand (ANZ Stadium, Sydney)
November 7: Australia v New Zealand (Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane)
November 14: New Zealand v Argentina (Bankwest Stadium, Sydney)
November 21: Argentina v Australia (McDonald Jones Stadium, Newcastle)
November 28: Argentina v New Zealand (McDonald Jones Stadium, Newcastle)
December 5: Australia v Argentina (Bankwest Stadium, Sydney)

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Super SA will have no Springboks in it at this rate. Every good player will be in the UK + France as SARU will be broke. Where is their money coming from?

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Cancel the 'Rugby Championship' and have some other shit that's the same thing but called something else.

For extra giggles call it the 'Totally Not The Rugby Championship', 'The Not Rugby Championship', or some such.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Yes, I am rather bitter.

If the recent quotes attributed to Duane Vermeulen are correct, and the players had not even been contacted about the RC, it suggests that RSA never had any intention of coming. I guess they were hoping their government would have announced that they can't travel and they could pull out of the tour with some honour.

FWIW, if the slipper were on the other foot, I would want Australia to participate. I'd rather watch us play and lose than not be there at all. But then, I am a Rebels' member so... pretty used to that :p

I agree. I think they owed it to the partnership to come and they could have made it work.They young guys would have been chomping at the bit.

I hope we learn exactly who was responsible for this decision.

SARU is a cesspool. Has always been.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
SARU is a cesspool. Has always been.

Definitely used to be but I thought they were doing well this last couple of years. Right now I can’t get passed the treatment of Free State. From there things just get worse.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I can't believe they're not pulling out all stops to bring in a 4th team. Argentina, already the weakest team, are going to be more undercooked than the Springboks would have been, and there's a fair chance they get smashed 4 weeks in a row to close out the tournament.

An ANZAC Barbarians team should have been possible to pull together and could have been competitive. Not to mention it would have ensured 2 games per week.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Definitely used to be but I thought they were doing well this last couple of years. Right now I can’t get passed the treatment of Free State. From there things just get worse.

Yes the way the Cheetahs are being treated is terrible.

If you think the ARU is a crony love fest, SARU is worse. It's corrupt.

Reactions: dru

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
Apparently in the past 24 hours NZR and RA had agreed to push back the Springboks matches to allow them to play 500 minutes of match time prior to the RC, but the SARU still refused to travel.

Also the SARU is boasting that next year's Lions tour will more than make up for the loss of revenue in 2020.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-unio ... 565pt.html

This is an act of deliberate sabotage. Reports are the relationship between NZR, RA and the SARU is now destroyed.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I read somewhere that they get a reduced share if they did not pitch and the same was valid for everyone.
I'll see if I can find it

Haha fuck no, they should get nothing, especially the way it has been handled. They should get nothing

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Apparently in the past 24 hours NZR and RA had agreed to push back the Springboks matches to allow them to play 500 minutes of match time prior to the RC, but the SARU still refused to travel.

Also the SARU is boasting that next year's Lions tour will more than make up for the loss of revenue in 2020.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-unio . 565pt.html

This is an act of deliberate sabotage. Reports are the relationship between NZR, RA and the SARU is now destroyed.

Hopefully it pushes NZRU and RA closer together. A TT comp and a rugby championship with more local countries seems the way forward.

Bit of pain, but in the long run could be very good.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I can't believe they're not pulling out all stops to bring in a 4th team. Argentina, already the weakest team, are going to be more undercooked than the Springboks would have been, and there's a fair chance they get smashed 4 weeks in a row to close out the tournament.

An ANZAC Barbarians team should have been possible to pull together and could have been competitive. Not to mention it would have ensured 2 games per week.

A couple of articles have said that ANZAC & Aus B options were both rejected by the broadcasters.