• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby Championship in an Aussie bubble?

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Plus unused Wallabies squadies, plus Naisarani, Kuridrani and Stewart according to the Aus.
Edit: the SMH article says that is another match which will happen later, but the Aus says it is this weekend. Watch this space I guess

Christ is that the only build up Pumas are having before test series? The poor buggers!

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)

I really hope that some loophole can be found to prevent SA Rugby from getting any payment out of this. I assume the collective bargaining agreement was put in place to cover the event that one of the partners was unable to participate due to matters out of their control. This was the SARU pulling out because they decided it wasn't in their best interests, even after the other members had bent over backwards to accommodate them. Fuck 'em, give them nothing.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I wouldn't put it past SARU to have negotiated that Covid clause 'due to the uncertainty', and then pulled out having no intention of ever turning up in the first place.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I wouldn't put it past SARU to have negotiated that Covid clause 'due to the uncertainty', and then pulled out having no intention of ever turning up in the first place.

I know you guys just love bashing SA for any reason you can find but I do not believe this is the case, having read a lot about what players, ex players and journos have to say.

In Jean de Viller's latest podcast he, Schalk Burger and Handre Pollard speak about ti and from what they are saying the believe the players are just too far off the mark. Pollard felt that the step up would be way too big. Kolisi has come out and said it. I think what has happened is extremely simple. SARU negotiated hoping things would be able to start a month or more earlier in SA but it did not. They negotiated that clause with their worst case in mind. It is called good negotiation.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I know you guys just love bashing SA for any reason you can find but I do not believe this is the case, having read a lot about what players, ex players and journos have to say.

In Jean de Viller's latest podcast he, Schalk Burger and Handre Pollard speak about ti and from what they are saying the believe the players are just too far off the mark. Pollard felt that the step up would be way too big. Kolisi has come out and said it. I think what has happened is extremely simple. SARU negotiated hoping things would be able to start a month or more earlier in SA but it did not. They negotiated that clause with their worst case in mind. It is called good negotiation.

Weird they didn't prepare for any other case as well then, as Vermeulen says he wasn't even contacted about potentially flying out in a few days time. It is good negotiation but done in bad faith.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
It is what the agreement is for and if not for COVID they'd be here. Still leaves a bad taste in your mouth because they haven't been upfront or respectful.

Should be a clause in the K that says "will get full payout if can't attend because of COVID-19 and has exhausted all avenues".

Where? When negotiations happened they were hoping that they would be ready. MONTHS AGO. They had no idea of a timeline. It was made clear. Then the government said fuck you, no training. Then the government said you can train, but no contact. Then they waited and waited and waited for clearance to leave. How were they supposed to foresee that months ago.

I am going to believe the current players, ex players, team doctors and most importantly, the coaches who had the final say. The Stormers played their second game of the season on Saturday. If that is the level of rugby that would have been served up in 2 weeks in a Bok jersey I am EXTREMELY relived that they are not here. They made the right decision.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Weird they didn't prepare for any other case as well then, as Vermeulen says he wasn't even contacted about potentially flying out in a few days time. It is good negotiation but done in bad faith.

Read my follow on post. You are being completely ignorant to the facts.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)

It certainly would have made the decision not to come a lot easier.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Read my follow on post. You are being completely ignorant to the facts.

You're misinterpreting me. I'm sure it's the right decision but one they clearly made (or should've known about) weeks and weeks ago. Instead they pull out at the last minute leaving their partners high and dry at the final minute and will still get compensation - which is disrespectful.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
If Argentina can make it happen SA could of made it happen if the want was there.

One of the reasons given was unable to get players from around the world, pretty sure Arg got release from every player they wanted in largely the same countries.

RA are rumored to not be wanting to pursue action because they need SA buy in for upcoming WC bid.

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)

Exactly, pricks never intended on coming, nothing more than an elaborate cash grab

If they had there would’ve been dialogue between management and players about leaving the country, even if it’s just “stand by and be ready to go when we say”

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Exactly, pricks never intended on coming, nothing more than an elaborate cash grab

If they had there would’ve been dialogue between management and players about leaving the country, even if it’s just “stand by and be ready to go when we say”

I'll go by what the players and coaches in SA are saying. You are entitled to ignore the facts but I suspect you have a chip on your shoulder about South Africans. Certainly seems that way. Pretty agro.