• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby Championship in an Aussie bubble?

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Arg is playing the the South American championship next month and SA Currie Cup starting up soon, half the squad has been playing in Europe for a number of weeks now.

It doesn’t take a month to quarantine from Covid, especially on Aus standards. It’s roughly a 2 week recovery period for mild cases (which thankfully these seem to be the case). The coach will be back on board in a matter of weeks

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Yep I agree KOB ,but I thought you of all people would be against it after your little rant about how it not fair on Wallabies to have to play in NZ:p;)

No that was different because it was the Bledisloe Cup games that were being affected, and it wasn't the strength of the squads that was affected, it was an unlevel playing field with regards to preparation. At least if the RC is in NSW all squads will have the same access to resources and opportunity to prepare. The only difference is that Aus and NZ will play twice before the RC starts, but there's probably no reason SAF and ARG can't organise trial games against each other too. I note that the issue still stands with respect to the first 2 Bledisloes being played in NZ, but pushing them back a week gives the Wallabies 2 weeks to have a proper team preparation. Still very unlevel but probably OK under the circumstances.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
New Zealand to host two Bledisloes prior to this starting (probably October 17 and 24). Hopefully they work out a bubble arrangement so the Wallabies aren't at a huge disadvantage and can just arrive in NZ and commence training as normal.

Jaguardo

Peter Burge (5)
Ok I understand how we think it will work, but buggered if I can see how Argos can have any chance of putting on a competitive team, no rugby etc, must be at least a month away form having their coach back, and we were saying how tough it would of been for Wallabies to have a tough isolation period in NZ. I still think if anything goes ahead will be Aus/NZ/SA. And if we get another outbreak here, that gone too I reckon. Fingers crossed anyway!

Most of the Pumas' forwards (locks and back rowers mainly) are playing in Europe and would be released in mid-October (Petti, Lavanini, Alemanno, Matera, Kremer, Isa). Curiously, those who are testing positive-asymptomatic, and who in two weeks would already be immunized, are the backs that would complete a first choice lineup (Boffelli, Delguy, Carreras, Moroni, Orlando, Cubelli). No one can take away from my mind that there can be an effort to get "clean" in order to circulate more easily.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Not sure what Aussie quarantine is, but surely with players coming from around the world there will be some tests etc(I bloody hope) before they can start training etc.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
And SA have to be given the most credit, they probably risk coming pretty under done and with the most to lose. They lose No 1 ranking will hurt sponsorship $s, but the other side of coin Wallabies have heaps to gain, they knock over ABs or SA they jump up points, but nothing in it for others in standings!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
New Zealand to host two Bledisloes prior to this starting (probably October 17 and 24). Hopefully they work out a bubble arrangement so the Wallabies aren't at a huge disadvantage and can just arrive in NZ and commence training as normal.

Think NZ will only have 3 days before training for team arriving, but Wallabies can be in camp for as long as they want before leaving so shouldn't be problem.

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
Think NZ will only have 3 days before training for team arriving, but Wallabies can be in camp for as long as they want before leaving so shouldn't be problem.

but only in small groups - in Australia the whole team can train together from day 1 provided nobody enters or leaves the 'bubble'

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
but only in small groups - in Australia the whole team can train together from day 1 provided nobody enters or leaves the 'bubble'
Yep I understand it’s in small groups for 2 weeks.

We already have our excuse ready for the first loss boys :)

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
And SA have to be given the most credit, they probably risk coming pretty under done and with the most to lose. They lose No 1 ranking will hurt sponsorship $s, but the other side of coin Wallabies have heaps to gain, they knock over ABs or SA they jump up points, but nothing in it for others in standings!
True - once you reach number 1 why bother playing another game eh.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

Well not according to NZ PM, she reckons teams ok after 3 days if everyone tests ok! Now I realise we all know better than her, but that is what she said!