• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby Has Massive Problems !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I'm with you FF (Folau Fainga'a). The irony is that with professionalism the game is developing into a clone of 1960's unlimited tackle rugby league.

I would like defences back an extra five metres and an automatic 5 minute sin bin for penalties by defenders in their own goal line quarter.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Like your style, FF (Folau Fainga'a). You should start with coaching a juniors team, I could see them carving it up with that attitude.

Seriously, the beauty of backrow play delineates rugby. Without breakaways the competition at breakdowns would become a bit naff and rugby would cease to be rugby. What's changed our game the last few years is professionalism: players are now stronger and, especially flankers, considerably faster. The buggers have always been the biggest cheats on the park, it's just that now they do it so quickly, and often.

My solution to the current officiating conundrums is to take a leaf out of soccer's book and have the TJ/ARs be allowed to play a much more active role. Starting with offside: a TJ/AR standing on the offside line should adjudicate all offsides and advise the ref accordingly. Apart from that there's a helluva lot more the two assistants could/should do to improve officiating at all rugby matches.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Good question.

I guess I could say something unhelpfully generic like, "Tear up the book and throw half of it away"... but I wont (although I just did).
Well I'm no genius (sure to be quoted in future posts), but tries need be worth more than two penalty goals (so we'll make tries worth 7). Drop goals back to 2.
Open side flankers need bring references to each and every game, showing they are honest and law abiding lads with the best interests of sportsmanship at the core of their being, and once the officials have had a collective laugh about these clearly forged documents they will ask the scavangers to leave the arena. So the numbering shall move from loose head number 1 up to blindside flanker 6 as it is now - then straight to number 8. The scrum will look a little weird with just one wing forward however the defensive 6 shall be forced to bind on the opposite side meaning the natural screw will counter balance. A plethora of blindside plays may eventuate in the early days of this rule however master coaches such as Henry, Deans, Johnson, etc will find an appropriate counter (or not). The 'Touch, Pause, Engage' thing shall be replaced with READY, STEADY, GO!" This seems to be a minor difference but believe me the kids'll love it and the future of the game lies with the kids. Whenever a player is penalized the restart will be required be undertaken by the offending players opposite number. ie last weekend if Dagg had offended then Ashley Cooper could shoot for goal, kick for touch or tap and run. This will spread the skills right across the park and could one day lead to a tight head winning a World Cup final with an angled toe poke from 45 metres out (the fans love props having a kick).

Ok all this revolutionizing has made me light headed and I need a sandwich and a coffee ... sure to have some more rule changes this afternoon however.

Is smoking crack before every game compulsory or only optional?

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
I get a little fed up with this argument about adjusting the relative worth of tries as against penalties. I understand that you want to provide an incentive for teams to go for tries, but ensuring a free-flowing game of rugby has almost nothing to do with the intent of the side in attack - it relies on the legality of the side in defence.

The entire point of a penalty is that it has a deterrent effect against play that will slow the game down. If you reduce the worth of a penalty then you reduce the deterrent, and teams will be more and more willing to kill the ball, pull in the halfback, use hands in the ruck (and so on) in order to avoid conceding a 7-point try.

Rugby would get more stagnant, not less. If you want a free flowing game, make penalties worth 10. Even though teams would take the penalty option every time, they'd never actually get the chance, because sides would be so careful not to give any away.

(I'm not actually suggesting that we do that - just trying to make the point that increasing the points-value of tries isn't the magic bullet that people seem to think it is.)

F

Finland Fella

what does that matter.

dude, do you even like rugby?

can one of the mods close this stupid thread.

Point being bread man that a largeth audience maketh quality not
And yes I've loved rugby since running on for the St Pats under 10s at fullback back in 74. My wish is for the game to reach its potential.

Why do you want this thread closed ? And if it's so stupid why read it, let alone contribute to it ???
Bread man you confuse me.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
The breakdown (as ever) is an adjudication free for all - just listen to the commentary on these big games - it's a never ending disagreement on referees interpretations. This just can't be good for any code.
That the Welsh could be so man handled by heavy rule booking in a World Cup semi ... come on ... that doesnt make you ask a question or two ...
the point of sport isn't the result, it isn't that everything is played to the letter no matter what ... it needs be about the contest...

The breakdown laws aren't the problem a lot of the time it is the referee's application of the law (or failure to do so - in the case of Bryce Lawrence) that is causing problems. The KISS simple would be good if followed - Tackler release and roll away, player in possession releases the ball, all remaining players enter the ruck through the gate and remain on their feet (able to support their body weight). Penalise early and often - use cards. Basically the referees need to treat the breakdown like the mods on this forum - enforce the laws, give warnings when warranted, yellow card first time posters if necessary to eradicate trolls (in the case of the breakdown for professional fouls when teams have front foot ball).

The referee was in the right to give the red card as it was a shocking tackle - the only point of contention is more haven't been given throughout the tournament.

Rugby is all about the contest and when the stakes are at their highest the fear of losing sometimes takes hold and teams play conservatively. It will be interesting how the All Blacks handle the pressure of playing in a WC final - will they go into their shell or will they continue to attack from everywhere when the opportunity presents itself?

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I get a little fed up with this argument about adjusting the relative worth of tries as against penalties. I understand that you want to provide an incentive for teams to go for tries, but ensuring a free-flowing game of rugby has almost nothing to do with the intent of the side in attack - it relies on the legality of the side in defence.

The entire point of a penalty is that it has a deterrent effect against play that will slow the game down. If you reduce the worth of a penalty then you reduce the deterrent, and teams will be more and more willing to kill the ball, pull in the halfback, use hands in the ruck (and so on) in order to avoid conceding a 7-point try.

Rugby would get more stagnant, not less. If you want a free flowing game, make penalties worth 10. Even though teams would take the penalty option every time, they'd never actually get the chance, because sides would be so careful not to give any away.

(I'm not actually suggesting that we do that - just trying to make the point that increasing the points-value of tries isn't the magic bullet that people seem to think it is.)

I've heard this argument before (not the 10 point penalty one, but the one against having penalties worth less).

There are always going to be penalties in rugby. There is too much going on for there not to be. For example most scrum penalties come from one side not being good enough, not because they are purposefully trying to pull a scrum down. Imagine what would happen to the game plan if penalties were worth even more? Every team would plan 10 man rugby, and focus on trying to win penalties in scrum. There would be zero incentive to run the ball.

I personally think a few things need tweaking, both to help our referees and to increase the likelihood of 15 man rugby. Some suggestions:

1. Either reduce penalties or increase tries. Couple this with automatic yellow cards for every 5 infringements. This should reduce penalties while increasing attacking play.

2. Go back to tackler having to release. This was working last year, but has been forgotten for most of this. The defense is now being favoured more. The tackled player must have a clear and decent opportunity to place/play the ball. Here is a crazy thought - maybe the tackler shouldn't be able to play the ball at all?

3. Simplify where possible - who cares about numbers in lineouts? unless a scrum is an obvious penalty infringement give a short arm (with no reset option)

4. Get the video ref to help out with big decisions. Especially foul play.

F

Finland Fella

Isn't Gagger supposed to be free of dimwit trolls like this?

This is a PR thread if ever I've seen one.

Dimwit troll seems a tad harsh flagman... sure it's your personal perrogative to judge my wit as wantan, half baked or even dim but a troll ??? I'm 'on subject' and also quite tall (have never lived under a drawbridge etc)
And PR for what exactly ????

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Antony, your argument would have some weight if changing tries to 5 points hadn't been such a successful move. The NFL uses a 6 and 1 versus 3 system and it works well. Very different game, obviously, but no team spends their time going up and down hunting field goals. Double the points minimum would do a lot to reduce teams taking the points.

triplet

Allen Oxlade (6)
Some observations - remember that Union really is a players game rather than a spectators game, take the field goal out of the game, penalty goals worth one or three for foul play. The scrum - do we de-power the scrum for the benefit of the spectator ? Front row pack in first then locks then loosies ? And why can't a referee explain to both sides before kick off that a yellow card will be given in the first minute (if necessary) for slowing the ball down or coming in from the side......oh and bring back rucking

F

Finland Fella

Some observations - remember that Union really is a players game rather than a spectators game, take the field goal out of the game, penalty goals worth one or three for foul play. The scrum - do we de-power the scrum for the benefit of the spectator ? Front row pack in first then locks then loosies ? And why can't a referee explain to both sides before kick off that a yellow card will be given in the first minute (if necessary) for slowing the ball down or coming in from the side......oh and bring back rucking

I agree totally on the final point triplet - take the ambiguity out of ruck shenanigns - send em for ten... nice.
As for depowering the scrum, well that would take away a huge part of the game - suddenly you'd have no need for the huge guys with all their mysterious skills, the props would start becoming running forwards, ie. you'd have three number 8s... basically you'd have rugby league style props ... so I reckon this ones going a tad far.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
You definitely don't want to depower the scrum. You just want to remove the power hit that will remove the vast majority of collapses.

A better scrum will still be able to wield a lot of power over a weaker scrum, you just won't have as many scrum resets or penalties.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
You definitely don't want to depower the scrum. You just want to remove the power hit that will remove the vast majority of collapses.

A better scrum will still be able to wield a lot of power over a weaker scrum, you just won't have as many scrum resets or penalties.

Disagree. I know you guys feel aggrieved about the policing of your scrum but for the most part I think scrum resets were a minor issue in this World Cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.