• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby League players who could have/could make the switch

T

TOCC

As far as I know of AFL, the only players who would be 100kg+ would be ruckmen and full forwards. Two positions.

8 AFL players in the All Australians team of 2014 were between 95 and 120kg..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

Train Without a Station

You're right qwerty. But the vast majority are the 190cm and 95kg range like Jobe Watson, Brendon Goddard, Adam Goodes, Josh Gibson, Darren Glass, etc.

Many of these players are half back flankers and on ballers now.

Previously they went for players who were in the 185cm and 80-85kg region. Now they are moving to the 195cm and 90-100kg range as athletic ability is more valued.

These players above are the same build as the 190cm and 100kg league back rowers and centres, the difference is in AFL keeping their weight down is more important, but also easier due to the running load.

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
Folau, Cummins & Quade are three of the most marketable players in Australia, in any sport. And they are hardly being utilised. We have intelligent players and intelligent coaches who could give great insight into the game, but its not being utilised. We have a fucking good highlights reel, thats not being utilised. It's weird
the irony of mentioning a bloke who was involved in a theft? break and entry? who then used RL fear mongering to get union to pay him and play him more with this statement:-
the players aren't all glassing there girlfriends

The truth is rugby union in Australia has to long looked at itself in competition with league instead of just looking at how it can make itself better.

Rugby League imo, makes its best decisions when it is not concerned about what the AFL are doing, but is just making the best decision for the game.

That said back onto your original statement, the only one on your list non rugby following population know anything about is Folau because he is a cash hungry mercenary who has played every sport under the sun for a dollar.

As for cummins and quade go ask someone who doesn't follow union if they know who they are.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I don't watch much commercial television, but I have seen Nick Cummins starring in a commercial- that would not happen unless he had some sort of cult following (he is certainly not an actor!)

joshbristow

Peter Burge (5)
Started this a few years ago as a way to give me something to do while I was in hospital for an ACL reco, back in now for an ankle reco I thought I might as well finish it off!

Lote, still up there for greatest convert of modern times for me.

Song choice was the Costa Lote's himself!

T

TOCC

Watching some of the classic wallaby matches from 2003 makes me realise what a wonderful talent Lote really was and how much his form went off the boil in the later years... It's a shame he will be remembered for his poor form in later years as well as the off-field misdemeanour which saw his contract terminated.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Every year there is much gnashing of teeth when a State Representative or Australian Schoolboy player decides to sign up for the <insert Car Maker> Cup.

The Leather Patches tut tuting gets quite loud when the Fivekick background boys take a spot in the rep teams (moreso for Aust Schoolboys than State reps) if they are committed to Fivekick with no intention of staying in rugby and navigating the Pathway to Gold.

Because there is no money in Colts rugby (at least at most clubs) and there is a perception of unlimited riches in Fivekick both in the Carmakers cup and the NRL itself, each year there are a few high school graduates from primarily Rugby backgrounds that sign up for the Carmakers Cup to fund their studies or apprenticeship. This usually causes the Leather Patches to say that it is evidence of Rugby needs to invest more in the grass roots, especially the gap between School and Pro Rugby. This is usually accompanied by a nod and wink saying "They'll be back" when they don't get a NRL contract after the are too old for the Carmakers Cup.

Can anybody recall anyone who came back from the Dark Side after being in Oz Schools or Oz A, or was a top player for his school, and couldn't get beyond U/20 in league, as opposed to the KHunts of this world who "came back to the light" after being successful in the NRL world?

I can't recall all that many but of late, Keleti Vaingolo, Sam Gerry-Burgess, Usaia O'Sullivan, Rocky Elsom, Alofa Alofa, Duncan Paia'aua spring to mind.

How many actually come back having tasted the temptations of the Dark Side?
I think more go to the Carmakers Cup and never return, than go and come back when NRL don't want them.

T

TOCC

Rodney Davies, Berrick Barnes, Chris Kuridrani,

MungoMan

Sydney Middleton (9)
How many actually come back having tasted the temptations of the Dark Side?
I think more go to the Carmakers Cup and never return, than go and come back when NRL don't want them.

Not Strayan of course, but Nehe Milner-Skudder has most assuredly been visibly playing the XV-a-side code since leaving RL U-20s.

MungoMan

Sydney Middleton (9)
Just stumbled on this thread, I have given this issue a lot of thought in the past and I can't really see any League forwards making a successful switch.

There are of course many, many reasons, other than size / body shape, to question how many league forwards would do well in rugby.

But considering only size / body shape, here are few that would have been worth a look if they had expressed an interest in playing the game somewhere not too long after, say, their 20th birthday.

Storm
Jordan McLean 196 cm 115 kg
Nelson Asofa-Solomona 200 cm 115 kg
Jesse Bromwich 194 cm 114 kg
Tohu Harris 195 cm 112 kg
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs 194 cm 111 kg
Dayne Weston 192 cm 109 kg

Tigers
Jack Buchanan 193 cm 109 kg
Keith Galloway 195 cm 112 kg
Matthew Lodge 193 cm 110 kg
Curtis Sironen 195 cm 104 kg
Aaron Woods 194 cm 109 kg
Martin Taupau 190 cm 112 kg

Raiders
Dane Tilse 200 cm 112 kg
David Shillington 194 cm 112 kg
Rhys Kennedy 197 cm 104 kg
Shannon Boyd 194 cm 122 kg
Mark Nicholls 194 cm 104 kg

Cowboys
Jason Taumalolo 191 cm 114 kg
James Tamou 195 cm 114 kg
Gavin Cooper 197 cm 108 kg
Sam Hoare 194 cm 111 kg

Roosters
Kane Evans 192 cm 110 kg
Aidan Guerra 190 cm 103 kg
Martin Kennedy 190 cm 122 kg
Jared Waerea-Hargreaves 193 cm 116 kg

Panthers
Reagan Campbell-Gillard 195 cm 110 kg
Jeremy Latimore 192 cm 109 kg
Bryce Cartwright 195 cm 106 kg
Jamal Idris 195 cm 120 kg

Bulldogs
Tim Browne 194 cm 112 kg
Sam Kasiano 196 cm 122 kg
David Klemmer 200 cm 120 kg
Tony Williams 192 cm 118 kg

Sharks
Andrew Fifita 194 cm 116 kg
David Fifita 194 cm 120 kg
Junior Roqica 194 cm 105 kg
Sam Tagataese 193 cm 110 kg

Sea Eagles
James Hasson 193 cm 105 kg
Willie Mason 195 cm 119 kg
Feleti Mateo 194 cm 108 kg

Broncos
Mitch Garbutt 191 cm 113 kg
James Gavet 192 cm 108 kg
Corey Oates 192 cm 107 kg

Knights
Sam Mataora 190 cm 114 kg
Tariq Sims 192 cm 107 kg

Dragons
Rulon Nutira 196 cm 112 kg
Rory O'Brien 195 cm 126 kg

Titans
Luke Douglas 190 cm 110 kg
Ryan James 193 cm 112 kg

Rabbitohs

Tim Grant 194 cm 110 kg

T

TOCC

Australian Rugby needs to steal Nelson Asofa-Solomona, 200cm athletically gifted players are all to rare in Australia, he played rugby union all throughout his teenage years as well.

MungoMan

Sydney Middleton (9)
Australian Rugby needs to steal Nelson Asofa-Solomona, 200cm athletically gifted players are all to rare in Australia, he played rugby union all throughout his teenage years as well.

And while hanging around Storm HQ, the ARU Poaching Squad should also stuff Jordan McLean into a large sack and spirit him off to an intensive re-education camp.

There looks to be an effective No.6 lurking within that young man.