• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby - not set pieces

Status
Not open for further replies.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
I've noticed the refs tellng the front rows to line up with the TH's head opposite the shoulders of the opposing LH and hooker's shoulders etc. Saying something like 'head to shoulders'. In 1 game and apologies for no reference it was even expalined 'your head must line up here and your head here'. The ref later blew a penalty (may have been the rebels) at the srum saying 'your lining up head to head'.

This penalty relates to the Benn Robinson style of prop who lines up "head to head" in an effort to disrupt the engagement sequence and gain the upper hand at scrum time. There are other props who do this, but the Cat is a great example.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
I've noticed the refs tellng the front rows to line up with the TH's head opposite the shoulders of the opposing LH and hooker's shoulders etc. Saying something like 'head to shoulders'. In 1 game and apologies for no reference it was even expalined 'your head must line up here and your head here'. The ref later blew a penalty (may have been the rebels) at the srum saying 'your lining up head to head'.
The 'head to head' is about the lining up. 'Head and Shoulders' is all about having your head and shoulders above your hips, if they are below your hips when you hit there is only 1 way to go and it's down.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Highlanders v Bulls - Rd. 13

At half time there is a shot of a dog taking a piss on the field :

Scott Stevenson - “I'm not entirely sure you'd be happy about this if you were the Bulls, or the Highlanders for that matter.”

It's not the first time a dog has made a mess on a rugby field. To quote myself earlier in the thread:

Doggone it
Was just watching a recording of the 3rd test at Athletic Park between the All Blacks and the 1971 British and Irish Lions, one of the great sides in the history of the sport.The interesting part was when the All Blacks were behind 3-13 near the end of the game and trying to get some respectability.

The commentary was as follows:
David Williams: “….. Mains ..Duncan... he tripped over a dog: Joseph has tripped over a dog, believe it or not”
Gary Hermanson: “It's almost Gilbert & Sullivan stuff.”
David Williams: “The dog has disappeared.”

The Clan's 7 jersey is not lucky this year: the excellent John Hardie fractured a toe in Rd.4 and that was the end of his season; James Haskell was suspended for 3 weeks, later extended to 4 when an old misdemeanour was discovered; then Doug Tietjens ruptured knee ligaments and his season was over.

Still in the Highlanders v Bulls game - Enter Tim Boys who has played for the Clan before but is not in the 2012 group of 30 contracted players, nor in their wider training group of 8. He has a good run in the 2nd half:

Stevenson: “Two weeks ago he was mowing John Hardie's lawns; now he's wearing his jersey. There's a comeback.”

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Cheetahs v Sharks - Rd.13 – At 53 mins BdP gets a yellow card for one shoulder charge too many, as wussy as it was. At 57mins the Sharks get a lineout and reserve hooker Burden comes on to throw the ball in and 6. Botes goes temporarily to the bench – or so they think.

Jonathan Kaplan reminds them of the law. If a front rower is in the bin, a temporary front rower can only come on (and a team mate go off) when the first scrum is set. 16. Burden had to go back to the bench and 6. Botes returned. 8. Daniel had to throw the ball into the lineout and it was a shocker: not straight – to Botes.

It would have been OK if it was a permanent replacement: ex winger Burden is quick and as hard as nails; he could have played on the flank when BdP came back, but apparently the Sharks wanted Botes to come back on later.

It would have been interesting if Kaplan had not noticed the temporary swap and Botes had attempted to come back onto the field with BdP when his time was up. Supposing that the off-field officials followed the protocols properly, Burden would have had to stay on and Botes not be allowed back because his original departure would be deemed to be a tactical substitution from which he couldn't return except for “blood”.

Of course, the not straight throw by Daniels meant a scrum would occur and the Burden/Botes temporary switch happened legally.

But wait – there's more.

At 61 mins there is a forward pass and a scrum is needed. BdP runs on from the bin and Burden returns to the bench. Not so fast Bismark – an official has made a mistake: you can't come back until the 63rd minute. He runs back to the bin and Burden returns to the field; so Botes also has to go off for the 3rd time.

This reminds me of something: Der Rosenkavilier?

Or: Much Ado About Nothing,

Da Munch

Chris McKivat (8)
Not sure if this is the place to bring up Motu Matu'u's tackling style but I hope it is!

I think they look like the mungo shoulder charges, with a little more arms, the first one maybe a bit less so with his head replacing his shoulder.

They are bloody dangerous as can be seen by the results on the weekend but are they;
a. legal? ( he wasn't cited www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/super-rugby/6998233/Mums-words-ring-in-Hurricanes-hookers-ears)
b. have a place on the rugby field?

edit: it's been discussed here;
http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/co...-14-super-rugby-2012.10861/page-2#post-363827

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Sharks v Stormers Rd 14

Some Sharks ran the ball together, Matt Pearce said: “A pod of 3 forwards here; does that constitute a tripod?” - Works for me Mattie.

Castres v Montpelier – Top14 Qualifier

Backrower Joe Tekori of Castres got red carded for a high tackle and co-commentator Simon Mannix talked about the severity of the sanction.

He said that as a coach at Racing Metro he attended a referees conference 3 years ago and mention was made of what should be dished out by a referee for a certain illegal act. He heard someone say that it was a yellow card for a Frenchman but a red card for a Pacific Islander.

As a Kiwi he felt that the comment was disgraceful, but added that he had seen that treatment in action. He mused that if Tekori were a Frenchman maybe he would have got a yellow card instead of a red.

Castres won the match but because the card was red, Tekori will miss the semi-final versus Toulouse on the weekend.

Harlequins v Leicester – Aviva Premiership Final.

Quins stuff up a lineout and Leicester 3. Dan Coles swoops and passes to ex-Junior Tah 6. Steve Mafi about 25 metres out and he runs in unopposed to score. Ben Kay said “.... and then the legs just open up: time for a little celebration.”

Steady on Ben: it wasn't a Friendly.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Backrower Joe Tekori of Castres got red carded for a high tackle and co-commentator Simon Mannix talked about the severity of the sanction.

He said that as a coach at Racing Metro he attended a referees conference 3 years ago and mention was made of what should be dished out by a referee for a certain illegal act. He heard someone say that it was a yellow card for a Frenchman but a red card for a Pacific Islander.

As a Kiwi he felt that the comment was disgraceful, but added that he had seen that treatment in action. He mused that if Tekori were a Frenchman maybe he would have got a yellow card instead of a red.

Castres won the match but because the card was red, Tekori will miss the semi-final versus Toulouse on the weekend.

Yep.....I think there is definitely a bit of willingness to ping PI's for hard tackles. Look at Paul Williams send-off in their first RWC match last year - great tackle and he gets a yellow card.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Yep.....I think there is definitely a bit of willingness to ping PI's for hard tackles. Look at Paul Williams send-off in their first RWC match last year - great tackle and he gets a yellow card.

Sam Warburton?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Bullrush

Athough the referee in the RWC game you mentioned was French (Romain Poite) Mannix was just talking about the referees in France domestic rugby.

I thought it was a bad call - though, DPK, I agreed with the one by Rolland ( who is half French) on Warburton, even knowing that it is not a majority opinion.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I think everyone agreed that it (the Warburton tackle) was a bad tackle, Lee, but it was the severity of the punishment that garnered the most discussion.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Rebels v Brumbies

After Keith Brown has pinged the Rebels a few times for not rolling away Brendan Cannon says: “You've got to applaud his consistency, but you wonder whether or not he's been consistent on the Rebels and not consistent on the Brumbies. There's been some dubious calls that the Brumbies have managed to get the rub of the green their way. ”

That description was a bit dubious too Canno.

South Africa v Ireland IRB Under 20s. About 10 minutes after oranges the Baby Boks have a lineout 5 metres out from the Ireland goal line. After they fluffed it commentator Matt Pearce queried the lineout strategy:

Talk about a variation: two backline players in the lineout but with absolutely no one jumping for the ball.”

It fooled the Ireland lads though: they never expected it and knocked the ball forward

New Zealand v Ireland [Christchurch] There's a TV shot of Ireland coach Declan Kidney pressing his lapel mike to talk to trainers. Must have been a big secret: he put a notebook in front of his mouth so nobody could lip read him. Was it necessary? Surely not: they couldn't lip read Deccie's accent, could they?

Wallabies v Wales [Sydney] Congratulations to Cliffy Palu for his high“definitely” count (four times) in his interview after the game and for his answer to how he was feeling after playing for 80 minutes: “There was 20 to go and I started saying 'this is overtime for me; so I'll get double pay'.”

It's not in the budget Cliffy. Definitely.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Wallabies v Wales [Sydney] Congratulations to Cliffy Palu for his high“definitely” count (four times) in his interview after the game and for his answer to how he was feeling after playing for 80 minutes: “There was 20 to go and I started saying 'this is overtime for me; so I'll get double pay'.”

It's not in the budget Cliffy. Definitely.

Hahahhahaha. Very funny quote from Palu. It's even funnier that being a Waratah he might have been serious.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Bullrush

Athough the referee in the RWC game you mentioned was French (Romain Poite) Mannix was just talking about the referees in France domestic rugby.

I thought it was a bad call - though, DPK, I agreed with the one by Rolland ( who is half French) on Warburton, even knowing that it is not a majority opinion.

Sorry, I know I'm coming back to this quite late but I think that there is almost a global willingness to ping PIs for hard tackles as 'dangerous'. We make this bed ourselves to an extent as we probably do have a higher number of high tackles but some of the calls are just ridiculous. You feel like some calls are made simply beacuse the tackle was just too hard.

But anyway....carry on :)

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Crusaders v Hurricanes

On the commentary:

"I think we can let you into a little secret here about referee Byrce Lawrence. It's a free for all, you'll be able to get away with anything for the next few minutes as he's forgotten his cards."

This was about 5 minutes into the 2nd half and Lawrence forgot to bring his cards out for the 2nd half and asked one of his assistants to get them for him. The commentary team overhead his asking for them on the ref mike.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Wonder why he would need to take them out of his pocket at half time? And where did he leave them to start with? :)

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
This was about 5 minutes into the 2nd half and Lawrence forgot to bring his cards out for the 2nd half and asked one of his assistants to get them for him. The commentary team overhead his asking for them on the ref mike.
How does Bryce Lawrence get appointed to games. Everyone makes mistakes, but this guy is just hopeless! I agree with Nusadan - what reason could there possibly be to take to cards out at half time?

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
How does Bryce Lawrence get appointed to games. Everyone makes mistakes, but this guy is just hopeless! I agree with Nusadan - what reason could there possibly be to take to cards out at half time?

The scarier scenario is that he didn't have his cards in the first half either and only noticed 5 minutes into the 2nd half. Unless he changed his shorts at half time I don't know why he'd take them out at half time.

Status
Not open for further replies.