• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby Recruitment Websites

Status
Not open for further replies.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
So, I don't know if you guys have seen them but there are a few rugger recruitment websites floating around the web that are aimed at players that are talented, but not to professional standard. Probably a level many of you blokes belonged to.

I personally would love to spend a year playing rugby abroad but I would feel egotistical and like I'm overselling myself If I actually used one of these websites.

I'm interested to hear though, what are your opinion on these websites? Would you ever use one? Has your club ever used one?

Example: http://www.rugbycentral.com

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Mate, if you're keen, just do it. I had the opportunity to play rugby in Canada and the UK and it is one of my (many) regrets that I didn't take those chances when they came up. You can always come back to your life at home...

I bet you'd find that there are a lot of blokes at your club who have some contacts overseas. I know at my old club here in Wagga, we have contacts in Denver, Calgary and Whitchurch (UK), I'm sure there would be blokes who know blokes at yours too. If not, give these a try, I reckon you'll run into someone from your neck of the woods.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
A couple of young guys from the Grafton Redmen spent last season in Canada somewhere. Their story described an incredibly positive experience.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Get on a plane and go. I went and played in Ireland after my first year at Uni and had a great time. Ended up playing with Neil Francis, former Ireland international, and it is one of the best experiences in my life. I regret not doing it again. I dragged my family to Canada a few years ago to coach a team and that was enjoyable too.

If you are keen just pick a destination and look at their rugby comp, find a club you like the look of and email them. I work at a club in Brisbane and we get emails from people all the time. If you are willing to be self sufficient they will appreciate it all the more but many clubs will help with accommodation and work, if you have the right visa.

http://www.insiderunning.com/ I have dealt with these guys in the past and they are quite professional in their approach.

If you want to go to Vancouver I can give you some contacts.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Thanks for all the feedback guys, specially the blokes that PM'd me.

See my major issue with using these sites is I've never played a particularly high level so I don't know how I'd really sell myself to these guys. For those interested, at this stage I'm most interested in playing in Italy (I should have an Italian passport by then) but really really anywhere in UK or even North America would be awesome.

This is all in the very distant future though (probably 2013 because I want to finish my degree) but if anyone knows anything or anyone in the Italian rugger scene please let me know!

Cheers.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
I knew a guy who could have got you wherever you wanted to go in Italy, unfortunately he quit his job just the other day. Bunga!... er, Bugger!

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Thanks for all the feedback guys, specially the blokes that PM'd me.

See my major issue with using these sites is I've never played a particularly high level so I don't know how I'd really sell myself to these guys. For those interested, at this stage I'm most interested in playing in Italy (I should have an Italian passport by then) but really really anywhere in UK or even North America would be awesome.

This is all in the very distant future though (probably 2013 because I want to finish my degree) but if anyone knows anything or anyone in the Italian rugger scene please let me know!

Cheers.

Actually I'm in almost exactly the same position as you, enforcer. I'd only really given it half-serious thought as I haven't played at a very high level either. Are you looking at living in Italy long-term? All I know is up north is where ther rugby is and Trieste where my mum's family is from is a relatively strong area. No connections though.

T

Tahboy

Insiderunning are by far the best to deal with. They deal with low level clubs to full proffessional.
They have been around for a few years and run a proffessional bussiness

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I got a nephew playing for Guernsey Island in English comp, just went over there a month back and loving it. Also out of a team I coached a few years back at home about 6 of them ended up playing in England etc on a semi pro basis, all have loved it and never heard one regret it. One of the qreat advantages of playing this great game of ours for young fellas is opportunity to travel and play around world so go for it. If you have not played to a good standard, be honest and if websites are (and to) tending to look for better players, look at where you want to go and write to clubs yourself, don't expect to get paid unless you can actually make a difference to a teams winning chances though, so be honest with clubs.

T

trytime Rugby

Hi Enforcer,

Apologies firstly as I have just joined this forum but I thought I may be able to provide you some insight that may help.

I run a site very similar to what you are referring to where we help place players at a secondary type level to clubs around the world. You would be amazed how many clubs are looking for players at this level and how well you can be looked after. The background behind me starting this business was that I was a decent player myself but never outstanding and after being approached to play in Ireland, Australia and HK I thought I would use some of the knowledge, contacts and experience to help other players achieve the same thing.

There are a number of sites and I would suggest you have a look through a few of them but just be aware that there is always a huge chance clubs may not live up to what they promise or you can be mislead in other ways. Sites like ourselves work only with contacts we know and trust and have insurance and contracts to ensure the risk of disappointment is a lot lower.

If you are interested have a look at
http://www.trytimerugby.com

Dont be afraid to get in touch if you have any questions.

V

val_b

do what your heart says.. just be careful in choosing who to trust.. and don't expect too much.

anaveragewombat

Frank Row (1)
Sorry to rekindle an old thread, but I'm new and I'm really not sure if i can post/am allowed to.
Anyway I'm just after some more information on someone who has gone through the recruitment process. Where did you go? Was it difficult? What benefits did you get? Just tell me everything!! Cant seem to find much anywhere, although I'm well aware of all of the recruitment websites, just wanted some experience from a primary source.

Cheers

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Do it. I was offered an opportunity to play in Ireland and a trial in England (for what would be Championship level now) when I was 18 but chose to focus on my education. I regret not taking the opportunities.

anaveragewombat

Frank Row (1)
Yeah, had a good opportunity at the beginning of this year which i pulled out of after deciding to spend more time on uni, regret it. Have to make some opportunities for myself now so ill talk to a few people and give it a crack. Cheers mate, still would love to hear someones personal experience.

saulityvi

Syd Malcolm (24)
I had a chance in 2013 to go and play in the UK, but injuries struck that dream down. Didn't really even consider about not going back then and would still go if I get my body right&a new chance.

I got the contacts through expats living in Finland, the then National team head coach and and RE educator teaching a course here in Finland.

My club hasn't done it, but some here get a player or two through Rah Rah rugby and those lads have been enjoing it very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.