• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby schools, their players, and the pathway to Seniors

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I don't usually dip my toe into these turbulent waters, as I have never been part of the rugby schools system, though I know people who are and they strive to do great things. Sometimes they get frustrated, and in listening to their frustrations, I share them.

To help with my understanding, I'm here to ask for a bit of education (in the schools rugby forum - ha!), so I can get a better appreciation of where things lie, and how I can solve a problem I'm having.

I'll also say up front: thanks for your time in reading this. My goal is to try and make the game strong in all areas, and have conversations about the health of the game; there appears to be a belief across the code that "as long as my backyard is neat, the game is fine" and it simply isn't true.

Preface: I'm a former President and current Club Secretary, Life Member, Registrar, Referee, and Player at Renegades Rugby.

I'm also a Board Member for NSW Suburban Rugby, and regularly deal with clubs of all sizes and the hardworking people that run them. We share issues to greater or lesser degrees in the rugby landscape, and I'll focus on our perspective for now.

Renegades Rugby are small club in Kellyville and, in addition to having a couple of cracks at starting a Junior club, we've tried a number of times to recruit Colts for our club (U21 in Subbies). This is critical to the survival of our club; I'm in my 40s and can't keep packing down in the front row, as much as my chiropractor loves it. I see an U21 team as an essential pathway toward feeding our senior grades, and most importantly keeping players in the game.

-------------------

I've got a few contacts in the Junior Rugby scene, and a pattern I noticed in some clubs is they peter out at the U15/U16 level, despite having good numbers below that. When I inquired as to why, the story was generally the same: attrition exists, but kids who go to rugby schools are generally (not always) restricted from playing for their village club after a certain time.

The knock-on effect is that the kids who do NOT go to a rugby school don't have enough left for an Opens (U18) team, and so either go into a joint venture team or simply stop playing. The danger here is we're missing a pool of candidates for senior amateur rugby, purely down to circumstance.

Question 1: is it common for kids in school XVs to be restricted from playing for their club?

-------------------

I know some teachers in schools that have rugby programs. They would like to promote local clubs to kids living in the area who are leaving school, but this is discouraged as it is seen as some form of favouritism or some form of grooming behaviour.

Question 2: is this the experience of anyone here who may be connected to schools?

-------------------

I have had a look at the competitions that have schools based in Sydney. There appears to be multiple competitions with varying size and investment, with a belief that putting them together in some form would just result in thrashings and humiliations etc. At the same time, looking back at the history of a competition like GPS, it appears to be shrinking and the quality varies considerably year to year. Separate schools competitions may soon be a luxury we can't afford.

Question 3: is there any movement toward a combined, graded schools competition in Sydney?

-------------------

This is a quick one but importantly leads onto converting age players to Colts and Senior rugby.

Subbies includes data on registered play numbers, teams, and clubs in its annual report every year.

Question 4: is there any data available on how many teams schools are fielding?

-------------------

School leavers have a lot to think about - the HSC, their ongoing education or vocational pathway. They might not even be living in the same area once they leave school. However, there are going to be those who just want to play rugby and aren't on the professional or premier pathway. Some will go to schools that have contacts at a senior club and get to a Colts program there. What happens to the rest?

I've tried emailing a few schools in the area in order to get a little of their time, and it falls into a hole. The Development Officers at NSW Rugby HQ have offered adviced (including contacts) and it seems every answer to my question is "put in more time" that I don't have for no guarantee of a result.

Question 5: how do I get in contact with people who finish school, love rugby and just want to play rugby outside the bounds of a professional pathway?

If you're someone who is a contact that would be bloody helpful. Hit me up.

Last edited:

RedOrDead

Ted Thorn (20)
Q1) Absolutely.

Q2) Yes.

Q3) Merely talk about it. No movement. Nor will there be movement. From a logistical standpoint it is a nightmare, especially with schools having to send there boarders everywhere. The only way to be able to do it is if we were to have like a 'rugby central' (sort of like Netball Central) with lots of fields, so that the games could be held at a centralised location. This of course doesn't exist. Even then you would need to convince the GPS old heads who are hellbent on tradition. The general consensus over on the CAS/ISA forums is, if possible, it can only be a hugely beneficial.

Q4) The boys in these forums have their ways. I'm sure they can collate that date for you. I for one know that Barker only gets 5 teams in the opens, and are lucky to get 3 teams in all other age groups. Always have at least 2 though.

Q5) You really need to sell culture.

Sword of Justice

Vay Wilson (31)
For Qld's GPS I was once (many years ago) punished for not showing up to a fourths rugby match and reminded that I had signed a commitment to the school when I was 12. Still makes me smile.

Marce

Jim Lenehan (48)
Where can I find a map of rugby schools in Australia? Or maybe just in NSW. I have a cousin living in GWS who always say that there a few options there to play rugby for kids and thousands of options to play League, almost free or cheaper.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Q1. Yes. Whilst I don't think there is anything explicitly written or told to boys it is expected that your focus is on your School footy and availability for that. If you were to get hurt playing Club, you can bet unless you're a superstar your name is on the shit list. This is why I think less is made of the State Champs from u13+ as a lot of boys especially who may be in the Gordon, Norths, Manly Rep teams are playing A/B Rugby at school. It is also a big ask of the boys and parents in regard to training volume and scheduling and when sport is compulsory at a number of schools the decision is almost made for you. This is obviously not how it works with everyone and the boys that play League often have a reason for this outside of the love for the game.

Q.2. Hard question that you may get a different answer depending on who you ask but I don't the GPS is dropping in standard even though there are technically less 1st XVs in the 1st XV competition. The parody in play over the last couple of years has been great and going to 2 rounds may make this better whilst isolating themselves with potentially less trials. If you look between 2000 and 2010 besides a ridiculous team sheet for Kings in 2002 Joeys dominated the 1st half of the decade then Riverview the 2nd half, with each of them probably being the 2nd best team during the others rein.

Q.3. Yes, broadly but no plan and I don't think any legitimate desire. Seeing the GPS move to 2 rounds shows it is not on the radar currently. The GPS has also made an effort to include Sydney Grammar, Sydney Boys High and Armidale in the third XV comp to make sure they can play for a GPS trophy each year. Part of me worries that an amalgamation may mean a school like Armidale has less interest in shipping their boys off to Sydney all the time if it is to play in a Div 3 NSW school match at Rat Park v St Augustine's when they have no historic ties to these schools which is a big deal. (I mean nothing offensive to Auggies, just picked an example). Do I think it probably is a good idea in the long run (10-20 years) yes, as I see all contact sport becoming more and more niche and as much as it hurts me to say I can see a time where even the biggest schools may only pick trophy competition teams and the days of 8th XVs may be done. Another huge factor in this is the school support levels. I would hate to have to construct these divisions. Do you do it off 1st XV or number of teams in a school? Does a school go in a division or do specific age groups? All these may ruin the spectacle that is a Saturday at 3:15 with the boys from the 15Cs knowing they go to watch the 1st XV against the same school at the same ground. (I know there are a mix of fixtures each week, but the majority are against the school on the draw)

Q.4. Yes, this information can often be found on school newsletters or yearly reports and websites. I'm sure most school would tell you if you sent them an email. This isn't hidden information as it's in the open each year by Round 1.

Q.5. Now this is a conundrum. It is quite common that a lot of boys when they play their last schoolboy match is the last Rugby game they ever play. This includes 1st XV & 2nd XV teams which should be prime for Club footy at any level. I'd suggest reaching out to the school as simple as it is. Some may not respond but others will be more receptive. An in can be telling blokes at your club to go and do some coaching at the school. They pay a decent rate, and you can build a rapport with them. You only need 1 or 2 to come down then bring a couple mates each and suddenly you change a club. The next best idea would be to get in the ear of 2nd & 3rd Grade Premier Club players and tell them to stop paying $500 for shorts and 1st Grade match payments and come have some fun.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Where can I find a map of rugby schools in Australia? Or maybe just in NSW. I have a cousin living in GWS who always say that there a few options there to play rugby for kids and thousands of options to play League, almost free or cheaper.
Honestly mate, feel free to make it.

Otherwise go to
aagps.nsw.edu.au
cas.nsw.edu.au
isa.nsw.edu.au
Look up the schools listed on their site and them some googling.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Don't forget to look up the CHS rugby competitions in your area.

There are some Catholic schools not in the above three groups that play rugby but they're not easy to identify. Maybe trawl through past years' rep teams to note what schools players came from.

Last edited:

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Cheers for the responses so far. Informative!

Q1. Yes. Whilst I don't think there is anything explicitly written or told to boys it is expected that your focus is on your School footy and availability for that. If you were to get hurt playing Club, you can bet unless you're a superstar your name is on the shit list.

On this: when does the school season run? Is there enough room to fit it in around club if SJRU and Schools could do it? I assume GPS going to 2 rounds is a response to having less participants than years gone by.

With NRL on our doorstep I've been able to observe the rep program close up - from U17 through to U19 they play rep footy in the club pre-season. Kids are selected from the year before to go into Eels, Bears, Raiders etc. and then play a competition from there. Right now they're about halfway through the rep program and will finish in early April, just in time for kids to go back to club footy and play a full season.

It is tough but it produces battle-hardened kids ready for professional life in a lot of ways, and sorts the wheat from the chaff.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Don't forget to look up the CHS rugby competitions in your area.

There are some Catholic schools not in the above three groups that play rugby but they're not easy to identify. Maybe trawl through past years' rep teams to note what schools players came from.

Good man. Now which rep teams are we talking about?

RedOrDead

Ted Thorn (20)

CHS rep teams. Picked from the CHS schools. Past teams will be on the CHS website.

You can do the same with GPS, CAS and ISA schools but they all play rugby, just to varying degrees.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
CHS rep teams. Picked from the CHS schools. Past teams will be on the CHS website.

You can do the same with GPS, CAS and ISA schools but they all play rugby, just to varying degrees.

Found the archives - looks like mainly Seven Hills Sports High and a couple of others in the area.

I imagine there are some kids who end up at a high school without a rugby program. Is there a pathway for them to get selected?

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Mmm. Give me some time and I'll come back to you. IIRC there was also a team from minor Anglican schools in NSW at the last few (pre-COVID) junior state championships. The Sydney Anglican Schools Corporation has quite a few low fee schools in western Sydney, surely fertile ground for a few rugby reams.

Last edited:

Lammy

Allen Oxlade (6)
I am in Brisbane and there has been some success in a lightnings colts program for U18s. There are similar issues up here with GPS and possibly also AIC schools.prohibiting boys from playing for club particularly 1sts and 2nds. Another complicating factor is that AIC rugby is term 2 and GPS is term 3. So in the last few years the BJRU has run lightning Colts. Both U17s and U18s are eligible to play. The comp is run in term 1 and is a shorter season. Each week all.gamrs are played at the one venue and this venue changes from week to week. The first couple of weeks they play 2 shorter games throughout the day. This year there are sufficient teams to run two pools which will then face off against each other for a final. Each year there have been more and more teams with some clubs here fielding 2 teams. Clubs or schools.cam enter a team and some AIC schools.have used it as a preseason hitout or to help select their final team for the school comp. The adjustments to try and work around the issues seem to be paying dividends

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I am in Brisbane and there has been some success in a lightnings colts program for U18s

Interesting stuff and I'm not surprised BJRU have this sort of initiative - things in Brisbane just seem better aligned than Sydney in general.

Am I right in my assumption that QLD schools still finish at age 17? That would change the dynamic a little for an U18 comp in club land.

Too little too late

Frank Row (1)
Cheers for the responses so far. Informative!

On this: when does the school season run? Is there enough room to fit it in around club if SJRU and Schools could do it? I assume GPS going to 2 rounds is a response to having less participants than years gone by.

With NRL on our doorstep I've been able to observe the rep program close up - from U17 through to U19 they play rep footy in the club pre-season. Kids are selected from the year before to go into Eels, Bears, Raiders etc. and then play a competition from there. Right now they're about halfway through the rep program and will finish in early April, just in time for kids to go back to club footy and play a full season.

It is tough but it produces battle-hardened kids ready for professional life in a lot of ways, and sorts the wheat from the chaff.
Hi,
From my personal perspective (my son’s), it isn’t prohibited rather it becomes too difficult to play two games at a high level on a Saturday and Sunday.
He sees the games for school as an important part of being part of the school but is very excited to play for his local club post school.
The key I see is having the kids being part of the club as juniors and having them being part of the club (either Subbies or Grade) before school grabs them and then giving them a place to go to after school.
If local clubs look at making sure the kids know they have a place to be in their 20’s rather than trying to win competitions in their younger teens it will build the pool of the players available.

Dabu

Allen Oxlade (6)
Interesting stuff and I'm not surprised BJRU have this sort of initiative - things in Brisbane just seem better aligned than Sydney in general.

Am I right in my assumption that QLD schools still finish at age 17? That would change the dynamic a little for an U18 comp in club land.
Half the cohort finish at 18. School year based on the financial year calendar.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Mmm. Give me some time and I'll come back to you. IIRC there was also a team from minor Anglican schools in NSW at the last few (pre-COVID) junior state championships. The Sydney Anglican Schools Corporation has quite a few low fee schools in western Sydney, surely fertile ground for a few rogby reams.

You're a scholar and a gentleman.