• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby Sevens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I've come across an interesting report that analyses the recent Darwin Oceania 7's tournament. It basically looks at how tries were scored (simple outrunning the opposition or from a chip kick etc) and from where on the field the phase leading to the try started.

It makes for interesting reading.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I've come across an interesting report that analyses the recent Darwin Oceania 7's tournament. It basically looks at how tries were scored (simple outrunning the opposition or from a chip kick etc) and from where on the field the phase leading to the try started.

It makes for interesting reading.

Where did you get your hands on it and any chance you could put some of the info on here?

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The analysis of the Darwin 7's tournament showed the following for the Australian team:

Scored a try on average every 1.6 mins
Conceded a try on average every 9.2 mins
Scored the majority of tries from a breakdown phase
Conceded the fewest tries from set piece (lineout/scrum)
Conceded the fewest tries down their left side
Relied on evasive skills and overlaps to score tries, rarely used kick and chase to score

BeastieBoy

Herbert Moran (7)
Why don't we import some league players and start winning the thing again. Why are we content with losing. We have the talent in his country. Especially when our 15 side has been on such a losing streak against the ABs. Let's get back a winning culture.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Why don't we import some league players and start winning the thing again. Why are we content with losing. We have the talent in his country. Especially when our 15 side has been on such a losing streak against the ABs. Let's get back a winning culture.

I don't think it's so much that. It's where it's prioritised for us.

There's a handful of guys dedicated to playing 7s in NZ who play only 7s and ITM Cup. They are simply not trying to be Super rugby players (with exceptions like Frank Halia)

Every single Aus 7s player has an eye on playing Super rugby and it's just a means to an end. It's not their fault, it's how we've set the system up and I don't necessarily think it's the wrong thing to do.

As far as getting leaguie from the NSW and Qld Cup to switch over? I think it'd be an excellent idea and we should etch out at least 3 spots for them at a time. It's the perfect conversion program.

Status
Not open for further replies.