• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby Stadiums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
The SFS was big enough for all but the Super rugby final this year. Can't see much of an incentive to take the tahs games to ANZ even if this unlikely redevelopment does go ahead, unless of course they get a better financial deal.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The SFS was big enough for all but the Super rugby final this year. Can't see much of an incentive to take the tahs games to ANZ even if this unlikely redevelopment does go ahead, unless of course they get a better financial deal.

As TOCC said the big inducement will be cash. The 2nd will be, if those plans come to fruition, a better viewing experience.

Melbourne Terrace

Darby Loudon (17)
As TOCC said the big inducement will be cash. The 2nd will be, if those plans come to fruition, a better viewing experience.
It'll still be an inferior match day experience to the SFS. The view won't be as good and the bars are still not going to be anything on the ones in East Sydney.

Leave homebush for wallabies games.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
SFS has better atmosphere, but as it stands it can't handle anything over 30k. Parking, food, beer all inadequate, and the tight precinct means that getting in and out, and then getting a feed or a drink or a taxi can take ages.

ANZ has it's place- games that appeal to crowds of 50k plus. It has it's issues, but for big crowds it can't be beaten- the atmosphere at the Lions game was simply electric, as it is for Origin. I'm not sure the development will help with the problems, which have been well canvassed here.

Might be movement on this issue very soon though, and it may not fall the way some think it will.......

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The two major failings of ANZ aren't addressed in the proposed makeover: the sides are too shallow and/or too far away from the game, and the proposed entertainment precinct isn't a patch on pubs around Moore Park. IF these new bars, etc., end up anything like the soulless swillhouse underneath Novotel it'd be an incentive not to hang around. The vast majority of spectators are on the sides, not the ends.

The Tahs'd be mad to be seduced into moving any more matches to Homebush. Even though it's ultra-convenient for me to get there from the beautiful Blue Mountains I wouldn't support a permanent move.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
The fitness club thing will target the local workforce that is based there throughout the day, and the weekend "precinters" that are just across the river or come down for the day to ride bikes etc. There is a reasonable amount of population within cooee, and no shortage of underused facilities.

BUT I would not favour it as the Tahs' permanent base for the reasons listed.

I'd rather see the money put into fixing up Alllianz's service channels and facilities in general. While its a royal fucking pain to get there, the ground is still better for rugby.

^^^ The 2000 NZL vs AUS game at Stadium Australia had 124000 Pfitzys of Atmosphere.

2014 Super Rugby GF registered <70000 Pfitzys of Atmosphere.

I was at both, and I was younger then. That accounts for the difference.

And it was 73,455 Pfitzys at the latter because I lost my voice part way through.

Travelling there is not that big a deal from the East - bus / train combo works well (I'll ignore in advance any blathering from @Pfitzy about the problems with people living elsewhere in Sydney from him :p).
I look forward to it, if it happens.

Leave your prejudices at the door please. I have risen above it as I have so many things.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Worth noting that today, the Sydney Swans have announced their new agreement that from 2017, ALL of their home games will be played at the SCG.

It's a 30 YEAR agreement.

Check out @sydneyswans's Tweet:

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
It'll still be an inferior match day experience to the SFS. The view won't be as good and the bars are still not going to be anything on the ones in East Sydney.

Leave homebush for wallabies games.
Many of the innovations on the Homebush video look interesting.
Most of them require little capital investment.
Changes to the precinct,additional services in the concourse are all good initiatives and are little more than cosmetic.
I look forward to seeing these changes regardless of any possible major changes.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Worth noting that today, the Sydney Swans have announced their new agreement that from 2017, ALL of their home games will be played at the SCG.

It's a 30 YEAR agreement.

Check out @sydneyswans's Tweet:

Surely this impacts any ANZ development? Or GWS new home ground?

S120

Chris McKivat (8)
Surely this impacts any ANZ development? Or GWS new home ground?

GWS won't move to Homebush. They barely fill half of their current ground, they would look heinously bad if they played their homes games at ANZ.

I doubt AFL will be at ANZ for a while now. Unless GWS suddenly becomes a powerhouse with a monster following (like that of the Wanderers, for example), we've probably seen the last of AFL at that ground for a long time.

It will focus ANZ on redeveloping their premises on being an exclusively rectangular ground I think. NRL and rugby will be the main stakeholders to deal with. Football too I suppose. It could put a financial dent in their hopes of redevelopment though I guess.

T

TOCC

Sydney needs a large rectangular stadium in a central location which is easily accessible by PT and close to entertainment amenities.

If money weren't an object i think the development above the train tracks and holding yards at Central Station would be ideal, it wouldn't be the first stadium built on such land.

421638-130712-central.jpg

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Love that design. Hugely troublesome to build over rail yards - the good burghers of Melbourne have been mulling over the Flinders Street for decades.

I can't really contribute to the Sydney side of things, but from a Melbourne perspective you're stuffed without public transport. Waverley Park in Melbourne's east was an AFL ground when I was growing up. Pretty big, with a capacity of almost 80,000 but no easy train access. Frigging nightmare to get to and from. Horrible.

Now we're blessed.

The MCG is an easy stroll from Federation Square, is flanked by two tram lines and two train stations.

Etihad (nee Colonial) Stadium is smack bang on Southern Cross (nee Spencer St) Station and has tram lines on both sides.

AAMI Park has a tram on its doorstep and a station across the road.

Transplant them in the suburbs and take away convenient access and they'd all be headaches. You can't polish a turd.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Love that design. Hugely troublesome to build over rail yards - the good burghers of Melbourne have been mulling over the Flinders Street railyards for decades.

I can't really contribute to the Sydney side of things, but from a Melbourne perspective you're stuffed without public transport. Waverley Park in Melbourne's east was an AFL ground when I was growing up. Pretty big, with a capacity of almost 80,000 but no easy train access. Frigging nightmare to get to and from. Horrible.

Now we're blessed.

The MCG is an easy stroll from Federation Square, is flanked by two tram lines and two train stations.

Etihad (nee Colonial) Stadium is smack bang on Southern Cross (nee Spencer St) Station and has tram lines on both sides.

AAMI Park has a tram on its doorstep and a station across the road.

Transplant them in the suburbs and take away convenient access and they'd all be suburban headaches. You can't polish a turd.

Excellent summary, and Yes you kill us for sporting facilities.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
That Swans deal is a huge win for the SCG. If the Tahs can maintain their success, we might get a similar deal. Surely then the SCG trust could command some money to upgrade parking and amenities around Moore Park.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Have not been to ANZ for Rugby but think it would be too big for Super Rugby except for finals. Problem is so much money is invested into sites used for Olympics that then go to waste that the Government will try there best to save the stadium.

Will be interesting to see how many attend on Anzac day, hoping it will be my first match at ANZ.

The key to Melbourne stadiums is not only are they accessible by transport, you also have the option of a nice walk along the Yarra River to the stadium.

Status
Not open for further replies.