• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby TV ratings 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

The thing to remember about Foxtel is that they generate the majority of their revenue through subscriptions and not through advertising. Whilst they may get the chance to show 4? Games exclusive each week they have lost the prime time slot of Saturday night.

Simulcasting games isn't a subscription driver, that's not something they will be able to market. Relying on the HD content is risky with the imminent change to regulations likely to occur which will see FTA able to broadcast their primary channels in HD.

Foxtel paid $500million for the last deal which offered them considerably more, so you have to question whether Foxtel will really be paying that much more then their last deal..

Edit: there is far too much discussion on the NRL TV rights in this forum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
Of course Fox makes its money off subscriptions, but without NRL content how many of its NRL following subscribers will bother staying with them.

To me it seems obvious - Channel 10 need content, so if FOXTEL just offer the four games the NRL would likely just tell them to get fucked and give them to another FTA.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I wonder how much pulling power all the non match broadcast NRL stuff Foxsports has provides?

If they look like they could miss out on the deal would they threaten to cancel all that content that surely is of some benefit to the NRL.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Anyone who thinks Foxtel won't now pay overs for the league coverage, I have some nice marsh land for sale if you are interested.
I'm setting up a bird sanctuary. How much are you asking?
Fox won't pay overs.

T

TOCC

Anyone who thinks Foxtel won't now pay overs for the league coverage, I have some nice marsh land for sale if you are interested.

No one suggesting they won't pay for the rights or be competitive in bidding, just putting some perspective behind the situation as to why Foxtel won't be breaking the budget to secure the rights.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Previously there was an incentive to compete with Channel 9 because they were bidding for specific content and the ability to decide what that content was.

Now there is less content on offer, no ability to impact what that content is in terms of the teams involved and currently no one to bid against them.

Of course someone else (probably Ten) will become interested if the price is right but I find it highly unlikely there will be a huge bidding war driving the price up substantially.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
How important is the NRL to foxtel?

Does foxtel even exist anymore if they don't secure significant NRL rights?

Makes the future of our game interesting.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
How important is the NRL to foxtel?

Does foxtel even exist anymore if they don't secure significant NRL rights?

Makes the future of our game interesting.

Obviously live sport is the best thing on Foxtel because it's the only content you can't easily acquire elsewhere.

I question how many viewers Foxtel are losing to services such as Netflix though. I know plenty of people with Foxtel that have added a service such as Netflix as well but haven't dropped Foxtel. IQ is one of the best things about the service and I think makes people lazy when coming to ditching Foxtel if they have the disposable income.

It would be interesting to know how Foxtel's subscription base would change if they went to having zero NRL content.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
The other part of it is that Foxtel want to buy 15% of ten, so you'd think it would be pretty unlikely that they would cannibalise each other too much.

T

Train Without a Station

I'm sure Foxtel will lose subscribers. But my question is this.

How many would they lose by having no content, that they didn't already lose by losing Monday night football, super Saturday and control over the draw?

T

Train Without a Station

But if I'm the NRL and I can get the same broadcast rights as 5 years ago, this time fully FTA and scheduling not beholden to the networks, isn't this a huge win?

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Fox Sports will get all the games live and they'll pay for it. They would struggle to exist without rugby league. People that can afford it or are really big supporters will still get/keep Foxtel because it means they can watch every game they want to without ads - and in HD if they are willing to pay an extra $10. They might lose a few more casual NRL fans (that don't care about other sports) with the extra live games on FTA, but I doubt it'll be many.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Why would Foxtel buy the right to simulcast matches this year when they haven't previously?

My understanding is that Nine previously purchased exclusive rights. This time they haven't. Though apparently their deal will be reduced (by what amount who knows) if their 4 matches are simulcast.

Fox already simulcast the AFL games that are on FTA. I think it'll be the same with the NRL.

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
I'm sure Foxtel will lose subscribers. But my question is this.

How many would they lose by having no content, that they didn't already lose by losing Monday night football, super Saturday and control over the draw?
They lose Monday, but is Saturday really that badly affected? After all, if they go the simulcast option they'll still get 2 Saturday games, so they could still have their Super Saturday in effect - it would just mean the Channel 9 match would fall somewhere in the mix, and if you're a fox subscriber you're likely to just watch all of it on fox like you would now. Same goes for Sundays.

T

TOCC

They lose Monday, but is Saturday really that badly affected? After all, if they go the simulcast option they'll still get 2 Saturday games, so they could still have their Super Saturday in effect - it would just mean the Channel 9 match would fall somewhere in the mix, and if you're a fox subscriber you're likely to just watch all of it on fox like you would now. Same goes for Sundays.

Yes in my opinion it is that badly affected, Foxtel have lost the exclusivity of Saturday NRL which was a major subscription driver. 'Super Saturday' was a marketing means to capitalise on the holding the exclusive rights of the day.

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
Yes in my opinion it is that badly affected, Foxtel have lost the exclusivity of Saturday NRL which was a major subscription driver. 'Super Saturday' was a marketing means to capitalise on the holding the exclusive rights of the day.

To be honest I follow the NRL and I've never met anyone who says they bought a foxtel subscription because it had "Super Saturday." To be frank it never registered with me at all.

People get it because it has most NRL games and they're all live - that sort of brand footy day marketing shit probably is a big deal at the Fox water cooler, but your average punter couldn't give a stuff and just wants to watch his team.

If Fox gets simulcast and does what it does with the AFL, then that's all people will care about, not whether "Super Saturday" is still crowding the foxtel ads.

T

TOCC

To be honest I follow the NRL and I've never met anyone who says they bought a foxtel subscription because it had "Super Saturday." To be frank it never registered with me at all.

People get it because it has most NRL games and they're all live - that sort of brand footy day marketing shit probably is a big deal at the Fox water cooler, but your average punter couldn't give a stuff and just wants to watch his team.

If Fox gets simulcast and does what it does with the AFL, then that's all people will care about, not whether "Super Saturday" is still crowding the foxtel ads.

So it would seem it's anecdotal evidence over the 'Foxtel water cooler' evidence..

Fine we disagree, I believe that the new channel 9 NRL TV rights will adversely impact on the growth in what Foxtel is willing to pay for the new rights and you don't think it will..

Let's rule 10 this shit and get back to the topic of rugby union TV ratings.

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
So it would seem it's anecdotal evidence over the 'Foxtel water cooler' evidence..

Fine we disagree, I believe that the new channel 9 NRL TV rights will adversely impact on the growth in what Foxtel is willing to pay for the new rights and you don't think it will..

Let's rule 10 this shit and get back to the topic of rugby union TV ratings.

Well it'll be interesting to see what happens either way. One thing I will say though is I wish the ARU had the sort of balls and strategic vision that Smith is showing at the NRL back when it had bargaining power after the RWC.

As for the ratings, how well did the Bledisloe do in the end across both Fox and 10?

Status
Not open for further replies.