• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby TV ratings 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
It's interesting how similar both codes are when you compare the current seasons just on Australia payTV.

If we include kiwi games but exclude Saffas, so far
20 games, averaging 68K with 4 over 100K

A-League this season
94 games, averaging 68K with 10 over 100K

They have 4 games rating higher than any Super Rugby game (Rebs v Tahs 122k) so far this season (and Sydney v Western Sydney way out in front on 188k)

Having a game on SBS on Friday nights does hit their payTV ratings on that night, but the SBS game is averaging 125k

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Highlanders v hurricanes 41k
Rebels v Lions 24k

Friday night ratings just getting worse. Can't remember a lower rating Australian game.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Highlanders v hurricanes 41k
Rebels v Lions 24k

Friday night ratings just getting worse. Can't remember a lower rating Australian game.

It was good rugby, deserved a lot better audience.

Depressing to say the least, but it sadly adds weight to some of my dire warnings about the situation we are in.

Brett Gosper, the CEO of the IRB was quoted in an interview I read this week, saying something to the effect that "rugby is in good health everywhere in the world". He is an Australian, of course. The ARU should be sending him weekly reports on selected metrics: attendances and ratings in particular.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Wamberal at least 85% of your posts consist of dire warnings in some form or another.

It was the Rebels vs Lions. On a night where Australia was batting in an absorbing World Cup QF. And Manly was playing the Bulldogs. And the Broncos were playing the Cowboys. And the NAB Cup was being played. But mainly the cricket.

I think that number is not surprising at all. If it was two years ago it would have been half that.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
27k at the Allianz Stadium for a round game is really good. Few years ago would have been impossible.
Unfortunately, it's swings and roundabouts

Best crowd since 2011, but worst rating for a while (ever?). That's the Sunday afternoon tradeoff.

Last few years have gone
2011 - 138k
2012 - 113k
2013 -126k
2014 - 99k
2015 - 77k

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
My theory is that there is simply too much sport on at the moment - it is ridiculous. All codes are down apparently and Fox sports are canibalising the codes at present.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
My theory is that there is simply too much sport on at the moment - it is ridiculous. All codes are down apparently and Fox sports are canibalising the codes at present.
Think you are right.
In the A-league:
3pm Sunday - Mariners vs Glory had 37k on Fox
5pm Sunday - Roar vs Wellington 51k on Fox

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
27k at the Allianz Stadium for a round game is really good. Few years ago would have been impossible.

Yes, and a larger 27,000 you would not find. Capacity of the SFS is 43K or so? Not sure where they would have found room for 16K more people on Sunday - if it had been an NRL match, reported crowd would have been 35K or so. Tahs need to use their counting system.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Yes, and a larger 27,000 you would not find. Capacity of the SFS is 43K or so? Not sure where they would have found room for 16K more people on Sunday - if it had been an NRL match, reported crowd would have been 35K or so. Tahs need to use their counting system.

What are u talking about??

How has been the attendances in recent years for Tahs games? I don't remember many games which crowd have exceeded 30k. In addition to the semifinal and final of last year. How many Tahs games exceeded 30k?

If you want a Tahs game round with the same attendance than the SOO you're wrong.

I was surprised by the crowd that were at the Allianz Stadium. At the same time Rabbitohs was playing against West Tigers in Homebush with an attendance of 23k. According Allianz Stadium facebook account 2 hours ago the Roosters defeated to the Panthers with an attendance of 10k

27k for Tahs vs Brumbies is really good for me.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Think you've missed his point, MHCS. He isn't bagging the crowd, instead he's saying we should pump up the numbers like the NRL do.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Wamberal at least 85% of your posts consist of dire warnings in some form or another.

Sooner or later, the prophecy will come true. Like that broken clock on the wall!

Think you've missed his point, MHCS. He isn't bagging the crowd, instead he's saying we should pump up the numbers like the NRL do.

Indeed - this from Monday night's game. I hear it was about 10,000. Must be fucking awful there with only that many.

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
that said I agree, re the amount of sport being on, increasing the competition decreasing the eye balls to go around.

That said this is a good thing from a consumers point of view.

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
from what I saw it looked like a good game of footy.

Nobody going to a mnf game thinks there is going to be a big crowd yet they go anyways to enjoy themselves.

If you are going to the game to enjoy the "lots of people singing and dancing crowd atmosphere" then perhaps you should start following the wanderers and not rugby union in general.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
from what I saw it looked like a good game of footy.

Well, its league, so what constitutes a "good game of footy" is open to interpretation. If you enjoy it, well done you.

I want atmosphere as part of my good game of footy, and you're going to have trouble generating it with 10k mostly on one side of the ground. Its entertainment.

Besides the fact that most of the atmos at a league game appears to be low abuse, swearing, and general boganity, I'll pass.

If the NRL was shown in black and white, you'd have trouble recognising any of the teams, to be perfectly honest. The word "homogeneous" springs to mind.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Further: I realise not many people are going to get to a Monday night game, particularly if its the NRL. Logistically - particularly with kids - its a big ask.

But the age old fight between bums on seats and eyes on screens is one the NRL hasn't addressed yet. Its so busy shitting blood over what its next TV deal will be, and how its salary cap is going to work in a world where a French billionaire could buy a whole club just for a laugh.

I see a future where all NRL games in Sydney will be played at the SFS or ANZ, because suburban grounds just can't be supported any more. The AFL is already moving to this model - some would say they've effectively reached it with Docklands/MCG.

The difference is, the AFL, despite having a large TV deal and a dedicated channel, still get big crowds.

Status
Not open for further replies.