• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby TV Ratings 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Wookie

Chris McKivat (8)
Wookie

Thanks for that, I had a good look at your site you have an amazing amount of information, across the codes.

Is it a hobby with you or your job because you have as I said some impressive records and in some cases going back years.

Am I correct in assuming you are an AFL fan and if so why the desire to keep such detailed information. Not that I am complaining because I like the Super Rugby information and also able to look at the other codes and compare.

JUst a minor hobby really.

Used to get into a lot of arguments over finance, ratings and crowds with people and got tired of having to google everything every time, so for me, the site is a personal storage of pretty much anything along those lines. And i figured screw it, may as well let it be a resource for any who might want it.

The_Wookie

Chris McKivat (8)
Wookie

Just asking on the round 9 spreadsheet you have recorded the Reds game in SA and not recorded the Force V Tahs in Perth.

Because you normally record the home match crowds.

Cheers and again thanks for all your work.

Fixed the Reds game - will be changed in the next update, both SANZAR and AUstadiums confirm the Force v tahs was at nib - no crowd figure has been supplied as far as I can tell.

Lack of shute shield info is annoying

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Wookie

Thanks for the replies and agree on Shute info. Seems to me Rugby is starting to fall off some mainstream media or at least get less. With the rise of Netball and stories around Netball increasing info about Rugby is struggling to be shown as often as it once was and it does not help that the ARU don't publish at least crowd information.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
Anyone read the Australian today? For a change it had tables showing increased crowds and TV ratings. Quite refreshing.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
At the end of round 9, the halfway point of the regular season, 301,978 Australians have attended Super Rugby matches, an improvement of 25,000 on last season. But it’s a different story where the post-World Cup year of 2012 is concerned, when the cumulative crowd figure for all Australian games at this point of the season was 397,921.

It’s a similar story for live audience viewers, with 2,960,129 tuning into pay-TV provider Fox Sports to watch Super Rugby this year, a substantial increase on the 2015 figure of 2,352,000.

But at the corresponding point of 2012, the viewership number stood at 3,513,000.

The Australian experience is being replicated in New Zealand where the television audience has gone from 5,078,900 four years ago to an alarming low of 3,409,400 last year but this year has surged to 4,451,900. Attendance figures have almost regained 2012 levels at 292,356 after bottoming out at 226,715 in 2014.

Alarmingly, South African attendance figures are on the slide, down to 419,336 this year, their lowest figure in five years. After peaking at 20.7 million viewers in 2012, Super Rugby is now holding 16.9 million in the republic, a modest increase on last season.

While no television ratings are available for Argentina, the Sunwolves have attracted 602,900 viewers for their eight games to date. Even with the addition of Japanese numbers, the total viewership for Super Rugby across the five competing nations is 24.9 million, down from 29.3 million in 2012.
Wayne Smith

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Not quite TV ratings but Bar TV reported this regarding the viewership of their stream of the Aus U20 vs NZ U20 "test" from Tuesday Night.
Hi all - we got close to 15,000 (individual IP's) watching Live which are better than expected given the Super Rugby trials we did were about 3000 and the Super 20s final was 3500. This included viewers from AU, NZ, SA, ENG and US.
<snip>

half

Alan Cameron (40)
^^^^^^^

Thanks Strewth

Tried to put the figures provided into more of a chart format those SA ratings are off the chart had no idea they were so large. Interesting from the article we get bigger crowds than NZ but only two thirds of their ratings.

Summary Crowds

Country ..... 2016 ...//... 2015 ....//... 2012

Aust........309, 978..//.284, 978 ...// 397, 921
NZ ..........292, 356 ....//..226, 715 [2014]
SA .......... 419, 336 [lowest in five years]

Summary TV Ratings

Country ..... 2016 ..........//....... 2015 .....//....... 2012
Aust ...........2, 960, 129..//..2, 352, 000..//..3, 513, 000
NZ.................4, 451, 900 ..//.3, 409, 400 .//..5, 078, 900
SA..............16, 900, 000 ..........//.............20, 700, 000

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Well that's strange, found the piece by Google search (how else?) & checked the link straight after I posted it, worked good as gold but not just now.
Right click on the link and select copy link, then paste into google search at the Google website. Then it should work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
On a phone you can usually hold your finger over the link and then select copy but doesn't seem to do it on tapatalk

T

TOCC

CRUvRED: 67K
BRUvBUL: 43k

Shute Shield: 29k

SUNvFOR: 26k
CHIvHIG: 62k
WARvCHE: 68k

Sauron

Larry Dwyer (12)
Woeful numbers. The RL U20 test got 12k more than our best-rating game, and the tests 30- 80k more again.

Status
Not open for further replies.