• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby World Cup 2019

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
On Wednesday the teams that finished in the top three of their Pool at the 2015 tournament - Argentina, Australia, England, France, Georgia, Ireland, Italy, Japan, New Zealand, Scotland, South Africa, and Wales - will be placed in one of three "pots" according to their current world ranking.

The four highest-ranked teams go into Pot 1, those ranked 5-8 into Pot 2, and those ranked 9-12 Pot 3. Pots 4 & 5 will comprise the yet-to-be-determined Regional qualifiers with each Pool comprising a team from each Pot.

November International & Six Nations results have seen South Africa drop into Pot 2 and Argentina Pot 3, which increases the likelihood of at least one 2015-style "Pool of Death", especially as none of the Pacific nations, who traditionally trouble Northern Hemisphere opposition come RWC time, are seeded but all three are likely to qualify by one means or another.

Pot 1
New Zealand
England
Australia
Ireland

Pot 2
Scotland
France
South Africa
Wales

Pot 3
Argentina
Japan
Georgia
Italy

As noted above, the remaining eight positions will be determined by a series of regional and inter-regional qualifiers, and a four-team repechage. All 20 qualifiers will be known by November 2018.

joeyjohnz

Sydney Middleton (9)
Wow, I didn't realize that all three of Tonga, Samoa and Fiji had fallen out of the Top 12. With USA & Canada also in the mix this will hopefully shape as the most competitive ever.

There's realistically 16-17 teams that could beat eachother on any given day. It certainly bodes well for WR (World Rugby).

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
It's a shame that the main provider of half the worlds talented wingers isn't even in the top 12 anymore.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Wow, I didn't realize that all three of Tonga, Samoa and Fiji had fallen out of the Top 12. With USA & Canada also in the mix this will hopefully shape as the most competitive ever.

There's realistically 16-17 teams that could beat eachother on any given day. It certainly bodes well for WR (World Rugby).

Fiji is in the top 12 in the rankings. They just didn't finish 3rd in their pool at the 2015 RWC which is what this is based on.

Italy is the only side here not currently in the top 12 in the rankings.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's a shame that the main provider of half the worlds talented wingers isn't even in the top 12 anymore.

It's because they were drawn with Australia, Wales and England at the 2015 RWC.

They are currently ranked 10th.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'd go for Italy. They are legitimately the worst side there.

As long as we can avoid Argentina.........

Wales would certainly be the pick of Pot 2 with our record against them, and they're a team I don't expect to see much improvement with in the near future.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Fiji, Tonga & Samoa are currently ranked 10th, 13th & 14th, respectively, USA 17th & Canada, somewhat surprisingly, 22nd.

http://www.worldrugby.org/rankings/mru

Agree that there's plenty of potential for Japan v South Africa-like upsets at this Cup which shows that World Rugby's investment in Tiers 2 & below is paying dividends.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
That should hopefully mean we see all 3 spread across different pools as well........

Argentina in Pool 3 creates the possibility of another big scalp in Pool 2.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I was a little surprised to see Argentina down in pot 3, but then had a look at their record.

They've lost 70% of their test matches in the last 5 years. They play the big boys quite a bit these days but that's still a pretty disappointing record

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Argentina's problem is more that they can't consistently beat the NH teams in either the June or November windows.

Whereas you lot, the Kiwis and the Saffas win most of them, with the occasional slip up.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Argentina's problem is more that they can't consistently beat the NH teams in either the June or November windows.

Whereas you lot, the Kiwis and the Saffas win most of them, with the occasional slip up.

Well if they can't consistently beat the NH teams nor the SH ones then it's not surprising they are ranked where they are!

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Argentina in the RWC are a totally different beast though...
Are they though? Beat Ireland last time and Scotland the one before. Lost to the higher ranked teams for the other games. England, NZ, NZ, Aus, SA

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
And if Contempomi had been correctly called offside, they wouldn't even have beaten us.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Are they though? Beat Ireland last time and Scotland the one before. Lost to the higher ranked teams for the other games. England, NZ, NZ, Aus, SA

I probably should've elaborated.........

Argentina really seem to lift at the RWC and I'd tip them to beat most of the NH teams in a RWC match, with the exception of England........

They still seem to struggle against their RC partners though, but it will be interesting to see how they go up against us and SA this year.........

Two top 4 finishes in the last 3 RWCs is a pretty good result.