• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby World Cup 2019

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Quick guide to who will be in Pots 4 & 5:

"Oceania 1, Oceania 2 (the top two teams from the 2016-17 Pacific Nations Cup between Fiji, Samoa and Tonga) [current leader Fiji]
Europe 1 (the winner of the 2017-18 Rugby Europe Championship, currently led by Romania)
Americas 1 (the winner of a two-legged play-off between the USA and Canada next month)
Americas 2 (the winner of a two-legged play-off between the loser of the Americas 1 play-off and the winner of the 2017 South American Rugby Championship)
Africa 1 (the winner of the 2018 Africa Cup)
Play-off winner (the winner of a two-legged play-off between the loser of the 2016-17 Pacific Nations Cup and the second-placed team from the Rugby Europe Championship, which is currently Tonga and Spain)
Repechage winner (the winner of a knockout series between the best sides from the Americas, Europe, Africa and the Asia/Oceania play-off* that have not qualified)

* - The Asia/Oceania play-off is a two-legged play-off between the winner of the 2018 Asia Rugby Championship and the winner of the 2017 Oceania Rugby Cup. The winner of this qualifies for the repechage."

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/news/article.cfm?c_id=80&objectid=11852104

I've seen some conflicting reports but the consensus seems to be that the "(Region) 1" teams will be in Pot 4 & the 2's plus the Play-off & Repechage winners in Pot 5. According to the article the draw is being streamed on www.rugbyworldcup.com from 18:00 AEDT.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Not exactly right WOB.

The European team in the Continental playoff is the winner of the playoff between 2nd in the REC and the winner of the playoff between the winner of the RET and the winner of the Playoff between the Regional Conference winners.

Boy that's a mouthful.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The tournament kicked off on 12 June 2014 so ~6 months after the draw. So why can't WR (World Rugby) not leave it until say mid-2019 to do their draw? Way fewer teams & media attending so I would've thought that logistically it'd need less lead time?

I guess it comes down to the basis of the seeding.

The RWC top 12 is based entirely on the last RWC so it is somewhat detached from world rankings (i.e. Italy are a top 12 team).

For the FIFA World Cup draw, the seeded teams are entirely based on world rankings (plus the host) and have nothing to do with the previous World Cup.

In some ways pushing the draw closer to the next RWC is counter-intuitive to basing the seeding off the results at the previous RWC.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Pool A:
Ireland
Scotland
Japan
Europe 1
Playoff winner

Pool B:
New Zealand
South Africa
Italy
Africa 1
Repechage winner

Pool C:
England
France
Argentina
Americas 1
Oceania 2

Pool D:
Australia
Wales
Georgia
Oceania 1
Americas 2

B

BLR

For the FIFA World Cup draw, the seeded teams are entirely based on world rankings (plus the host) and have nothing to do with the previous World Cup.

It's based off qualifying matches.

A top team can miss out because they were kicked out in the qualifiers while a rank 50 team can get it through winning the qualifiers.

I don't know if the winners of the previous cup get auto qualifying but from what I understand the rest all have to qualify.

Much better system, how good would it be if the AB's had a few upset losses and missed out on the World Cup.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
England in another pool of death?

272185fa61322668c896868518f3a8ef_feels-good-man-meme-feels-good-man_430-397.jpeg

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
Fantastic result for Australia and Ireland!

How does the finals work? Who do we face if we win Pool D?