• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC 2011 - Odd shaped balls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
OK - for those who will be watching France on the weekend, which side of the scrum will skipper Dusautoir be playing on - openside or blindside?

And it's not fair to answer if you remember what I have posted about the matter before.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Lee,

I think you should try and get a photo of Kurtley in Wallaby gold for your avatar for the RWC!

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
OK - for those who will be watching France on the weekend, which side of the scrum will skipper Dusautoir be playing on - openside or blindside?

And it's not fair to answer if you remember what I have posted about the matter before.

Doesn't he pack at blindside but play as an openside? Or they have a left/right system?

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Hmmm, Magne played at 7, and packed on right, right? Betsen was usually 6, and on the left? I guess....right? Unless it's on the left, right?

Manuel

Herbert Moran (7)
Left, Harinordouy will play right flanker.

So, the question should have been "Blindside or openside? Attention! Il y a un piège!"

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Well done Manuel.

Anybody who watches France and/or Toulouse a lot knows that Dusautoir packs down on the left hand side of the scrum; so the other guy has to pack down on the right. The question of which side: openside or blindside was a red herring, except to those who knew that it was such.

Magne and Betsen also paid no notice to what their jersey numbers were and swapped.

Sharp eyed people will have noticed that, when Moody was missing during 6N earlier in the year, that Wood and Haskell swapped a few times. Let's see if they swap a bit v. Argentina.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Hmmm, appears I was wrong. Ah well. Was I correct in remembering Magne right, Betsen left perchance? I do remember that Magne would normally wear 7....

Et, pour Manuel, oui! There's two of them - gauche et droit!

And that's pushing the limit of my French, sadly...

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Which player was playing in the Shute Shield and had to fly over to play in the RWC because somebody was injured?

I mentioned this a few months ago. Clues later if needed.

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)
8. Jone Qove and winger Sereli Bobo both turned down offers to play for Fiji in the RWC and played for Racing Metro in Rd. 1 of the Top 14 last weekend.

Toulouse have 12 players absent at the RWC - but Clermont have 14.

You guys reckon Brock James would be good enough to compete at Super Rugby level thesedays?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Certainly: he's a better player now than when he was at the Reds and later, the Force. Long periods of injury didn't help him and when he was fit others rightly had precedence most of the time.

Clermont plays an Aussie kind of game; so he would fit right in. His goal kicking went off the season before last at the money end of it; so Parra was kicking in 2010/11. It may have been a coincidence but James seemed to get a new lease of life without the goal kicking duties; even his defence improved.

If he were playing for an Oz Super team now he'd be the best wet weather flyhalf in the country - only Barnes would be close and daylight would take the next few places.

Parra is at the RWC now and James is goal kicking again; so let's see how he goes.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
A couple of quotes from Fitzy from the SMH.
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/the-fitz-files/only-one-way-to-win-fast-and-furious-20110909-1k27r.html

Kiwi brothel operator and dominatrix Mary Brennan on how busy they will be during the Rugby World Cup: ''The English are known to be particularly deviant. Whenever I hear an English accent I know there'll be some good business there.'' You naughty, NAUGHTY boys!

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/the-fit...and-furious-20110909-1k27r.html#ixzz1XUwZjTj6
Wallabies coach Robbie Deans takes the early lead in the Rugby World Cup mixed metaphors comp: ''We've got to hit the ground running because we're going in at the deep end.'' The surest sign yet that the Wallabies will play swimmingly.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/the-fit...and-furious-20110909-1k27r.html#ixzz1XUwsWpjk
UNITED 93 HERO

Beyond this week marking the beginning of the Rugby World Cup, the gay rugby community around the world will also be raising a glass of Jagermeister to mark the 10th anniversary of the death of American gay rugby pioneer Mark Bingham, who was one of the men who charged the cockpit on the United 93 flight that subsequently crashed on a Pennsylvania field on September 11, 2001. Vale.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/the-fit...and-furious-20110909-1k27r.html#ixzz1XUx1hCAb
and From Fitzy himself.
AND so it begins. TFF is writing from Auckland where the Rugby World Cup 2011 is just hours away from beginning. The harbour city - ''Sydney for Learners'' - is sparkling, there is a wonderful buzz in the air of happy people from all parts waving flags and singing, and an appropriate sense of privilege from all of us visitors just to be here.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/the-fit...and-furious-20110909-1k27r.html#ixzz1XUxCHipy

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Another clue - he played for Northern Suburbs.

Marc Lièvremont, the coach of France, will be glad to end his stint from a financial point of view. Top14 coaches get paid more than he does.

The new coach will be Philippe Saint-André, currently coach of Toulon. He will take a pay cut of 50% when he starts the job after the RWC.

Status
Not open for further replies.