• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC 2011 - Quarter final 3 : Springbokke v. Wallabies CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
That penalty was also a call from the touchie.......Lawrence never called that one at the time. Play went on and then Lawrence went back to the touchie with his flag out for the report. Maybe that was one he was gong to let go in the spirit of his hesitation to award any penalties but had little option once he bretheren called for the Saffas to be pinged.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Hmmm, a flighty sort of fellow...

It was a clear penalty, and dangerous play.

Attachments

• Samo_fouled.jpg
    Samo_fouled.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 294

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I disagree. I watched the replays and though the contact was marginal/incidental at best. There was nothing in it. We were bloody lucky. I'd be screaming if the ref had awarded a penalty to the oppo in similar circumstances

Roussow had both arms round Samo's legs from when when Samo's started to dewscent until his head hit the ground. Attached is a screen shot on the way down.

Attachments

• Roussow.JPG
    Roussow.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 277

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I think he's gone, Groucho.

Even the Saffa commentators conceded it was a penalty. Not much left after that, really.

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)
Good board this lads Lots of knowledge here, I must apologise for my earlier posts, I was a little miffed at someone saying that whoever wins out of A, NZ semi, will win the WC, Well there are another two teams in it, France have won a series in NZ and just two years ago beat them down there again with a weakened team and don't mention the 2007 WC,
Also Wales have beaten Australia in recent years, Wales are now playing to their potential and are playing some good rugby,
You will also recall Ireland the team that put you second in your pool was beaten quite convincingly by Wales.

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)
Well, I'm definitely not a Bok or NZ supporter and I thought Pocock's hands engaged the ball AFTER the ruck had formed on too many occasions to count. Wallabies were leaving their feet, entering through the side all game long, but Pocock's hands could have been pinged by any other ref.

Again, for me, Pocock played brilliantly. Like McCaw, he recognized the ref was not blowing anything up and adjusted his game accordingly. It was smart, brilliant play.

Have to agree with that. The ref just didn't ref the Breakdown.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
Roussow had both arms round Samo's legs from when when Samo's started to dewscent until his head hit the ground. Attached is a screen shot on the way down.

Good shot. Thanks. I stand corrected. I was wrong.

At the time I couldn't see interference even on the replay.

P

pete88

I think if there was one thing McCaw clearly had over Pocock was that his running game was a bit better, seems our lad is catching up (although I thought McCaw had a blinder aginst the Argies, including some very good ball-in-hand stuff).

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I was surprised Joubert was given a semi after getting a quarter final. This definitely goes against the referee selections in previous RWCs.

I'll be even more surprised if Joubert is given the final now after getting both a quarter and a semi. My guess is either Barnes or Kaplan for the final.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
That Foxsports article seems to imply that the better performing ref this weekend will get the final.

From the article:

The quarter-final in Wellington will be Lawrence's last act at the 2011 Rugby World Cup after the IRB named Alain Rolland and Craig Joubert to control this weekend's semi-finals.

Joubert will handle Australia's match with New Zealand while Rolland will be in charge of the Wales v France match.

Whoever wins the most approval from the IRB's judgment panel will go on to referee the final.

It is understood the selection panel felt Lawrence let the match between the Springboks and Australia drift too much. There was a similar observation of his work in the Super 15 final this year.

M

Motorboater

I think if there was one thing McCaw clearly had over Pocock was that his running game was a bit better, seems our lad is catching up (although I thought McCaw had a blinder aginst the Argies, including some very good ball-in-hand stuff).

McCaw is definitely the better link man at this stage, however Pocock is certainly a superior ball carrier.

It's just a shame he barely gets involved in this form of the game. I believe he had only 3 carries on the weekend - all of which were huge.

Da Munch

Chris McKivat (8)
I was a wee bit pussed when I watched the game, so I really shouldn't say anything and yes i'm really happy the Wannas won but that was a shite game.
The Wannas played to the ref after learning a bit to late in the Irish game that you have to.

And I don't blame the Saffers or the Wannas, I blame Lawrence.
He alone destroyed what could of been a great game and that's bloody sad for rugby, when a ref can bring the northern hemisphere's rugby to the southern hemisphere.

I hope I can't write this next weekend.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
My favorite part of the match was when Pocock, ball in hand, absolutely steamrolled Brussow. Brussow really didn't know what hit him and looked dazed from then till he went off.

Also - Vickerman absolutely belted him at one point. I'm pretty sure it was him who got rid of Brussow. In fact, Aussie Dan disabled a few Saffers around the park. I don't what's going wrong in the lineout, but you have to start Vickerman just for softening up the opposition.

Status
Not open for further replies.