• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC 2011 SF2: Australia vs. New Zealand

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxdacat

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I guess this will appear as a quade apologist brown nose but it shits me when australians are so willing to jump on a bandwagon and completely ignore the fact that objectively nobody came close to performing as well as cooper did, and continue to point fingers in the wrong direction.

I think most here have conceded that he did pick things up after a couple of errors, but when you're playing against a team that is making close to ZERO mistakes, this is just not good enough. Most Wallabies supporters I am sure would want the team to at least eliminate the basic errors so we start on a level playing field ('scuse the analogy). If we were outclassed after that then so be it.

young gun

Fred Wood (13)
I don't think NZ are fortunate: thats what happens when you live and breathe the game and you are taught the fundamentals.
Have you ever heard a commentator say of an AB he only took up the game at 13?

Yes - Ali Williams was 15, I think - played soccer and tennis before that.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Well Joubert has gotten the final and fair enough too. In the biggest game of the cup i thought he held his nerve very well and didn't get in the way of the game at all.

True, but I feel that Barnes should have been given a chance to show how he could perform as well. We know why he didn't get picked to ref NZ, but he should have got the job of RSA vs Aus.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Well done to the Kiwis and best wishes to their fans to whom the RWC is so important to them - as a nation.

They were far too good for us. It was a bit like the 1st half at Eden Park last time - they were irrepressible and they made us look like any other wannabee team when they play them. They wanted it more and it showed. To be fair I thought the Wobs would be affected by the mental and physical effort from the week before, and wrote to that effect, but that is the challenge you get in a RWC and you have to overcome that if you want to win the thing.

The Blacks were superior across the park whereas the Aussies, even taking into account the class of their opponents on the night, showed a lack of skill, and grunt in the physical contest as we see time after time. The Wobs won a game last week with similar drawbacks but the Blacks are a better team than the Boks and Oz was never going to escape as the South Africans let them.

Well done for young Cruden for how he played. I saw him at ANZ last year and he had an unhappy night but he rose above it. MOTM Jane has also had some bad days, even this year, but he also rose above that and was a colossus. Who would have thought that long haired hippy looking guy I saw for the Wellington Academy at TG Milner about 6 years ago would go so far?

The poor skill the Wobs showed last night was almost breathtaking in it's regularity. It was only when they had a go that the freedom of it permeated the whole team and meat and potatoes stuff which was simple, became simple for them. Cleanouts, passing and catching the ball, being alert for unexpected stuff and most other things, became possible and it transferred mental pressure to the other side - but oh, too briefly.

It was brief because the right to do it was not earned. The old bugbear for Wallaby teams, their forwards not showing up to get at least parity in power and in timeliness of effort, has plagued our rugby for over 50 years. There are technical deficiencies also, particularly at scrum time. There is also doziness.

The frustrating thing is that we have too many days like at Eden Park this time and last time, at Twickenham on the EOYT, and in the RSA until recently, and even against Ireland a few weeks ago. One could understand it if we didn't have top physical and mental games against the same opponents from time to time, but we do.

The Wobs look like a poorly coached side last night but the same coaches prepared them when they won 3N.

I have been disappointed in the performance of the Wallabies in this tournament notwithstanding that they were the youngest team at the RWC and got to the semi. I said before the comp that they should do well next time but they hardly played a good game this time, though their opening game against Italy was decent.

I doubt if many teams would have withheld the Kiwis last night and the Wobs should at least be given credit for keeping the score down. Even if the Wobs had played their best it probably wouldn't have sufficed. Sometimes you have to take your hat off and recognise an outstanding performance.

The 6 teams that have been knocked out will all rue that France is in the final because they are better teams. And they would also be thinking that they could win it if they had a chance to play France. Well, that may be true but is whimsy. You have to win the games that matter.

I thought Joubert has a splendid game. I haven't read any of the other posts, deliberately, and no doubt their are some criticisms. Sure like any other ref he missed things for both sides but he was superb. I thought that he and the other young ref, Barnes, were the best refs on the planet before the RWC and during the tournament he has superseded the Pom.

I didn't read any rugby stuff today before I wrote this, and the ref for the RWC final may already be appointed, but if not, I hope he gets the gig.

M

Mica

Joubert loves scrum penalties, and generally favours the attacking team. His big problems are allowing players to dive in off their feet and not policing offside (how about Weepu standing between Genia and Cooper on one occasion).

However he is consistent. If he policed the areas noted above he would be the best in the world. At the moment I think he is behind Wayne Barnes due to those issues.

Though I also noticed a bit of lazy retreating from Horwill where he could have been pinged and wasn't - so that adds some weight to your consistency comment. I also note as Flymagnet said earlier that initial impressions indicated a fair bit of players going off their feet at the ruck. Still neither side got pinged for it - so there's that consistency again. All said and done the ABs were better and this week the Wallabies couldn't pull off the miracle that they did last week.

P

pete88

I'm also in the "Joubert had no influence on the result" camp. Guess in a forum of hundreds you're always going to have some that see every 50/50 call we don't get (and there were a few) but it happens every game to both sides and it didn't matter last night. Saw both sides get away with a few things.

I didn't feel too bad last night but I'm dead inside today. No optimism over Australia's rugby future, wouldn't be surprised if we lost all 5 of our next tests, all against Wales (? someone said that earlier, can't find 2012 schedule).

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'm also in the "Joubert had no influence on the result" camp. Guess in a forum of hundreds you're always going to have some that see every 50/50 call we don't get (and there were a few) but it happens every game to both sides and it didn't matter last night. Saw both sides get away with a few things.

I didn't feel too bad last night but I'm dead inside today. No optimism over Australia's rugby future, wouldn't be surprised if we lost all 5 of our next tests, all against Wales (? someone said that earlier, can't find 2012 schedule).

Was in the SMH today.

F

Flymagnet

In the end, even though I had a brief spurt of bile about Joubert, I must agree that it probably didn't influence the result. I guess I just found it frustrating that to Joubert, Pocock must have seemed 10 ft tall and glowing gold whereas Richie McCaw was invisible...like a dwarf cloaked in a black fog. Tis true that this takes skill and it was obvious after the first few penalties that the AB's had Joubert worked out and played him like a Stradivarius. That's part of the game though but on a bright note I took away these things:-

(1) A few of our youngest players were blooded and really came into their own in this series - O'Connor, Pocock to name two. Warmed the heart it did;

(2) Being a player of Oz rugby since the early 70's, I recall seasons in which the Walla's have had their backs against the wall in test matches and totally dropped their bundle (put lipstick on, done the teacup strut and said "who want me for their beatch")...to be trounced by a 40 or 50 point differential (age and substance abuse hinder clear recollections here ...maybe I'm romanticizing things in reverse ?). At least we seem to stand and fight these days....that's gotta be worth something eh?

Final word .... even though Joubert may have been 'one of the best' of the tourney, in my mind, the standard is sub par for a sport of this reach and professionalism. Perhaps a different approach is required in which all 4 match officials help each other (in real time?) to attempt to get things right most of the time. Has this become too complex and fast a game for one bloke, with very specific minimum help to get right ?

Nelse

Chris McKivat (8)
Wow, wow, wow

What a game. It was a very disappointing result. From the start and Quade's kick almost set the tone. Being out at the game, the atmosphere was amazing. It was the most one sided crowd I've ever been to. (except for that Waratahs game this year when everyone was against the Tahs....) I was sitting on the 22 about 20 rows back from the front with a bunch of other Aussies and some bitter south africans, but there is no denying it was totally a black out.

The Wallabies picked it up noticeably after Nonu's try, but were definitely shell shocked that first 10 minutes. I went to a Q&A sesh at the Playhouse Pub in Auckland the morning of the game with Clarkie, Kearns, Kafer and Damien Smith. (If anyone else was there I was the bloke who asked about their opinion of the importance of the Hurricane combination in the backline). Kafer was saying in this that if the Wallabies aren't getting front-foot ball in that first 10 minutes its going to be next to impossible for them to be in the game. Thankfully they almost proved him wrong by picking up their game (in some parts)

There's no denying that the Wallabies were far from their best, with Pocock being nullified at the breakdown by Joubert far more than he was by Lawrence. Samo and Elsom missing some crucial tackles, Cooper having a bit of a Barry Crocker and McCabe forgetting that he probably could move the ball on more.

But my God, when the Wallabies were on attack on those rare occasions inside the All Black 22, you could almost here a pin drop around the stadium. Its like the crowd almost expected the Wallabies to hit back and start to play how they did in Brisbane. It wasn't until the 70th minute or so when Weepu kicked the final penalty where the crowd went wild!

Thankfully after the game, most fans were jubilant in their success but pretty gracious in victory and the Aussies in the crowd taking the ribbing in good nature. It wasn't until getting back toward the fan zone where there had obviously been copious amounts of alcohol flowing were some Blackness fans starting to get too over the top. I didn't feel threatened but there was a bit more hostility than there was at the game.

In no time over the weekend did I have a bad experience with any other fans from any team. Maybe thats because at 6'5" the only person I met over there that was taller was Sharpey.

All in all, one of the best experiences I've had being at a Rugby game, besides the bitter disappointment at the loss. The rebuilding should start this spring tour!

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Did anyone spot Kahui getting cited? It's coming up elsewhere

-- No No, apologies, I see know, it's a touch of irony eant to be compared with Breadman

M

Mojoman

That was a game we had to win and I'm ecstatic the AB's brought their A-game whereas in the past RWC's we choked under pressure.

My thoughts on the Wallaby effort:
- Cooper will never be a First Five who can control a Test Match and steer the Wallabies around the park. He is a spitting image of Carlos Spencer. Flashy, completely brilliant with freaky skills but erratic and error prone. Unfortunately you take the good with the bad.
- Nathan Sharpe and to a lesser degree Matt Giteau were sorely missed. When the heat is on and nothing is going right, you need experienced heads to regroup. Sharpe's running in midfield to settle things down was missed. Giteau's playmaking and running into gaps and not into players was missed. RWC's are won by experienced, battle hardened teams. See Wallabies 1999, England 2003, Boks 2007. It's not a lack of skill or even effort that cost the Wallabies. It was a lack of experience IMO.
- Joubert basically whistled Pocock out of the game early. Don't tell me Joubert hasn't been reading the press. How many times did you hear "7 Gold..7 Gold" Thank you Andre Watson for highlighting Pocock's demolition of the Boks breakdown ball in the QF.
- Why did Deans persist with 2 non-ball playing, defensive minded midfielders in McCabe\Fainga'a?? All that did was put more pressure on Cooper. Cooper/Barnes/AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) midfield would've been so much more creative. It would be like the AB's playing Kahui/Nonu in midfield together. Too similar.

M

Mojoman

BTW the "patting on the head" thing that most of the AB's seemed to get into should be banned by Graham Henry as arrogant, cocky and ultimately may backfire. Stupid shit. Leave it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.