• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC 2015 Final - Australia v New Zealand, Twickenham, Sunday 1 November, 3:00 AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
The ref bashing is a bit embarrassing. A handful of fairly minor calls went against us in that first half. They weren't calls that led directly to points. Every ref makes similar calls and similar mistakes in every single game of rugby ever played.

For mine:

Forward pass - looked forward, but Owens queried Barnes about it and Barnes was in a better position than he was (and for that matter, the camera). Looks bad because of momentum and because Milner-Skudder was tackled back immediately after passing. Referees are aware of this though. Was maybe slightly forward out of the hands, but not hugely so, otherwise it wouldn't have gone to chest. I'd say it was a mistake, but the forward pass didn't make Genia give away a stupid and needless penalty at the next ruck. That's what cost us 3 points.

Accidental obstruction - had no impact on any defender whatsoever. Hooper made the tackle easily. Would have been a pedantic call as it had no material effect. Without considering material effect there'd be 50 penalties blown in every match.

Holding onto the pill before the first try - possibly, but he could easily have pinged Fardy for not supporting his body weight, and he was cleaned out fairly quickly. Fardy won a penalty earlier for the same thing when he was not supporting his body weight. These are 50/50 calls.

He missed a knock on near halfway a little before that first try too, but the All Blacks kicked the ball through and we then kicked it out to half way under no chase pressure. It's not like they knocked it on and then immediately made a 30 metre break that led to a try.

These are all pretty small calls that people are blowing up out of proportion because NZ subsequently made a good play to score.

Before all this Kepu was arguably lucky not to be yellow carded after smashing Carter in the face a couple of minutes after he hit him late. There's hundreds of these 'what if' situations in every game.

Agree with all those points, as i said the calls rolled AB's way - Another one was that Pocock head high tackle on in front of the sticks. Sio got pinged for one, but not the AB's.

Best team won, and I don't think the ref impacted the result.
We can appraise a team;
AB's great.
Wallaibies good.
but can't appraise the ref - i think all posts have been fairly accurate.

Across the park AB's were better - to loose 80min man Douglas hurt over recent games he has been one of our best.
Are 6, 7, 8 were again fantastic.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Another one was that Pocock head high tackle on in front of the sticks.

Yeah the high tackle on Pocock was a weird one because Owens actually asked the TMO to look at it immediately while play continued. I don't know how the TMO could look at that and not make a call. My mate suggested that he possibly said it was high and that Owens was playing advantage (and then ruled it over), but if that was the case I didn't hear it. I think it was more likely inaction from the TMO.

Anyway, the focus on bagging the ref rather than the actual play in the game is too much and it's not very classy. Every time the Wallabies lose a match there are people calling the ref the man of the match etc. Without fail. It gets annoying.

Beefcake

Bill Watson (15)
the relentless harping just sounds sour.

Yup, what he said.

Anyhoo, Wobs have done well, theres lots to celebrate. Yeah the WC woulda been great, but def something to build on - as previously mentioned, topped pool of death, beat Eng & Wales, made finals, have core players to build the next campaign around, TGC..... Its not all doom and gloom :) It pretty bright picture

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
The thing that shits me about Barrett's try is that if that was an Aussie chasing that it wouldn't have bounced anything like it did. It would have skewed off to one side, or hit the post or gone dead or straight into the arms of one of the opposition players or something.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Yeah the high tackle on Pocock was a weird one because Owens actually asked the TMO to look at it immediately while play continued. I don't know how the TMO could look at that and not make a call. My mate suggested that he possibly said it was high and that Owens was playing advantage (and then ruled it over), but if that was the case I didn't hear it. I think it was more likely inaction from the TMO.

Anyway, the focus on bagging the ref rather than the actual play in the game is too much and it's not very classy. Every time the Wallabies lose a match there are people calling the ref the man of the match etc. Without fail. It gets annoying.

Actually - no more ref chat

pjm

Billy Sheehan (19)

The TMO doesn't pull play up until a stoppage. Owens referred it to the TMO but then gave advantage for some reason, he then called advantage over. What he should of done was just let play continue and then when it broke down the TMO could give his verdict OR he should have not referred it to the TMO and have played advantage as normal. Nige was in two minds there and what occurred was completely against the laws.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Missed tackles, ball insecurity, and poor lineout execution cost us the game.

All of these could be attributed to the unrelenting pressure from NZL, as much as they could be attributed to poor execution by AUS.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The TMO doesn't pull play up until a stoppage. Owens referred it to the TMO but then gave advantage for some reason, he then called advantage over. What he should of done was just let play continue and then when it broke down the TMO could give his verdict or he should of not referred it to the TMO and have played advantage as normal. Nige was in two minds there and what occurred was totally against the rules.

No no no.
Nige can do whatever he wants because some people think he's the best in the world and he's from a home union.
Hell he can even give the ABs coaching during the game when they dont adhere to the laws pertaining to lineouts (not last night).

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
The TMO doesn't pull play up until a stoppage. Owens referred it to the TMO but then gave advantage for some reason, he then called advantage over. What he should of done was just let play continue and then when it broke down the TMO could give his verdict OR he should have not referred it to the TMO and have played advantage as normal. Nige was in two minds there and what occurred was totally against the rules.

Same thing has been happening all tournament with refs communicating during play to the TMO (or the opposite with the 'check check' calls). Anyway, guess we don't know what happened as we can't hear what all the AR's etc are saying. May well have been called high by a touchie or the TMO after Owens asked and so Owens played advantage.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Surely some decorum is due!

Owens was fine, don't like his attitude to our captain but his reffing was restrained and generally accurate. He let the game flow.

The better team won. By any measure I think.

I'd like to put out my genuine appreciation to the Wallabies and their coaching team. 9.99 out of 10.0 boys. You did us proud.

pjm

Billy Sheehan (19)
Same thing has been happening all tournament with refs communicating during play to the TMO (or the opposite with the 'check check' calls). Anyway, guess we don't know what happened as we can't hear what all the AR's etc are saying. May well have been called high by a touchie or the TMO after Owens asked and so Owens played advantage.

Yes, CHECK. Not check but I'll play advantage anyway.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Kurindrani also had a shocker. He's a plodder in defence who can't change his line when stepped and is a one trick pony when it comes to attack. I think Hooper would beat him in a foot race.

Hooper would beat many Wallabies and others in a foot race. He was a beach sprint champion a few years back.

The more pertinent observation about comparative speed I think came in the last try to Barratt. While he comprehensively outpaced Poey, as you'd expect, Poey did not lose any ground to AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) in the chase. Our wingers are a slow lot.

pjm

Billy Sheehan (19)
Hooper would beat many Wallabies and others in a foot race. He was a beach sprint champion a few years back.

The more pertinent observation about comparative speed I think came in the last try to Barratt. While he comprehensively outpaced Poey, as you'd expect, Poey did not lose any ground to AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) in the chase. Our wingers are a slow lot.

True. But the way Kurindrani gets beaten on the inside is like a second rower would.

Reactions: dru

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

someone pointed out during the super season that Bogan is seriously quick - sub 11 for 100

Dctarget

John Eales (66)

What I take from that is Pocock after playing 80 minutes of RWC final rugby, actually gave a very decent chase to Barrett, probably the fastest man out of both teams and with fresh legs. Poey is faster than he looks.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)

Barrett is extremely quick, there aren't many that could outsprint him.

Re Kuridrani, I thought he was OK last night but overall during the RWC he has been pretty dull. It will be interesting to see what happens at the Tahs this year, the expectation is that Folau will be tried at 13. That could bode well for the future, especially if KB (Kurtley Beale) stays in form.

pjm

Billy Sheehan (19)
What I take from that is Pocock after playing 80 minutes of RWC final rugby, actually gave a very decent chase to Barrett, probably the fastest man out of both teams and with fresh legs. Poey is faster than he looks.

Poey was trying his guts out but he was running in quick sand. But that's alright, I wouldn't expect anything less at that stage of the game.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I've had some time (and a workout followed by coffee) to reflect and I'm even prouder of those boys. I can't help but feel that the future is pretty positive with the group of young blokes we have and the coaching team around them. If we do it right it could be a great era of Aussie rugby to come. TRC 2016 will be absolutely brilliant next year when you think about the talent that all the teams have and especially the rise of Argentina.

If Cheika keeps building this team up at the rate they've been going they could be world beaters in four years. A lot has to go right though.

Status
Not open for further replies.