• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC 2015 Semi Final 1 - NZ vs RSA Twickenham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Hell I stumbled on this paqe, and roar and know as sure as hell there are plenty of embarassing idiots on these too, I just really try and converse with the intelligent ones!! as I do on Silver Ferns etc etc.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yeah thanks for that Dewald. I wasn't meaning to exclude saffers, just trying to get some conversation going from the neutrals or the kiwis

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Anyway Mank, I would imagine most of the Bok players know what to do to beat All Blacks, and most of it will be about how the forwards handle the game, because for however well Carter,Nonu etc played well on Sat, AB forwards were where game was won. A Smith got a good ride behind them and when he gets a ride you know that backline are going to enjoy themselves!!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
So many players last test match if their team lose. All Black are just to classy all round the park on paper and surely the favourates. Springbokke will have to get their defense a yard quicker in their face for 80 minutes and wil have to dominate up front, cleaning out at breakdowns. All Blacks by 50 my geuss.

I not quite sure the Mocker Gods are going to fall for that PB:p

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
God they're the pits, it's embarrassing. The comments section of Fox Sports Australia facebook post is the worst example that comes to mind.
Curiosity got the better of me so I had to follow your prompt and hop on there for a look. Never again!,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
De Allende and Kriel are world class.

Nonu and Smith are World Class, and make up for in experience what they lack in youthful pace. Nonu is probably playing the best rugby of his career. Carter is a master and Pollard, while good, is relying heavily on FdP to keep him safe. In fact the whole Bok team is relying on FdP.

Only problem the ABs are going to have is the high ball, particularly if NMS isn't available. Naholo isn't a rated jumper in Kiwiland and we know it'll rain bombs.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Only problem the ABs are going to have is the high ball, particularly if NMS isn't available. Naholo isn't a rated jumper in Kiwiland and we know it'll rain bombs.
I was hoping to see no high balls from Pollard or Willie. We'll only succeed if we play the phases and dominate possession. Pollard scored twice not that long ago against the All Blacks. Something similiar is needed.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Nonu and Smith are World Class, and make up for in experience what they lack in youthful pace. Nonu is probably playing the best rugby of his career. Carter is a master and Pollard, while good, is relying heavily on FdP to keep him safe. In fact the whole Bok team is relying on FdP.

I'd expect the ABs to go with Ben Smith on the wing and Barratt at 15 to keep the two No15s style going.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Any opinions from the non saffers about how the Boks can beat the ABs for this one? Play to our strengths but what are the keys to the win?

The Boks have an obvious strength in putting gnarly forward packs out there and exerting maximum physical pressure on their opposition. I'd be getting FdP to throw a lot of short balls to guys like Burger, Etsebeth and Vermuelen on either the open or blindside and have the big boys try to smash the AB's in close. They've got to create some gain line momentum and when the Boks are at their best is when they have wave after wave of blunt force trauma being applied at high pace to a narrow channel. They have to get the AB midfield and back row walking backwards consistently so they a, reduce their influence over the game and b, buying a bit of space for guys like Pollard, de Allende and Kriel to do more than bash it up constantly.

Which brings me to the midfield. Meyer has to let these guys off the leash and let them know that they have license to take some risks. You don't beat the AB's by trying to play conservative, mistake-free footy. This doesn't mean running it from your goal area when it's not your natural game, just that it's OK to try different running lines and having bodies in motion moving the pill through the hands.

They also have to be super accurate with the boot and make sure every kick hits the grass and preferably goes out. The Bok lineout is still one of the best in the world and it needs to be used to exert pressure on the AB ball. The driving maul needs to be used as well.

I think the Boks biggest shortcoming is the lack of imagination from the coaching staff. They have some very good players in their squad and they instruct them to play a very one dimensional brand of footy, with no plan B if things go wrong. Meyer has to loosen the reins and let the players play more on instinct, if it hasn't been totally coached out of them.

Dan Hanlon

Frank Row (1)
Tickets for Semi Final 2 for Swap

Hi all, I am an Irish Rugby Fan with tickets to Semi Final 2. I am looking to Swap for Tickets for Semi Final 1.

Anybody know any Australian fans with tickets to swap.?

If not I am prepared to sell my tickets at face value. They are Cat B tickets with a face value of £315 each.

Many thanks,

Dan

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

I think your over-rating them. Nonu has had some quiet games in the pool stages and SBW was pushing hard a spot. Although I agree he is world class. His Rugby Championship form was superb.

Carter and Smith, whilst experienced are no-where near where they use to be. They certainly don't scare me like they use too.

Don't get me wrong, It's still the best back-line in the world but it's far from unbeatable.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Ref Jerome Garces
Touchies Roman Poite and John Lacey
TMO George Ayoub

Should be a cracker.

Not mad on the officials for this game. Fuck. Wish Nige was in charge. Who can forget that 2013 game! Gotta be close to the perfect test

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
This will be the match of the tournament. The two top rugby nations going at each other again, winner takes all. Have been some of the best games I've ever watched

Can't tell how it will go. Key will be whether South Africans manage to boss NZ forwards and contain their backs.

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
Retallick vs Etsebeth
Reid vs Vermuelen
Weren't both of these Yarpies out injured last time they met?

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Any opinions from the non saffers about how the Boks can beat the ABs for this one? Play to our strengths but what are the keys to the win?

Stretch the All Blacks wide using Habana and Pietersen in order to spread them before attempting to take the ball on through the middle.

Garces reffing the same way as last week will help. Plenty of opportunity to slow the ball down.

Le Roux improve his kicking and work under high ball

De Preez to play like last weekend

De Allende to make the gainline with each carry again.

Tackle themselves into the ground to contain the NZ backline.

Prevent turnovers that almost lost them the game last weekend

That'll do for the moment

Status
Not open for further replies.