• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Not if Poite officiates it like Peyper did - letting Marler come in at the same angle as the ball being fed.
Clouseau will allow a complete free for all but Marler and Youngs were being split with ease and Poite doesn't like that. To be fair the Fijian tight head was boring in as well but Marler looked terrible. England's obsession with gigantic players at underage level is biting them in the Arse, hee heee. Oh and Gwan Japan!!!!!!!!!!!!

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Should think Australia will be looking forward to the scrum battle with England. Now that is not something that happens very often.

Get used to it :D

English scrum has been relying on the horizontal angle from the LHP for far too long and I can't wait to see them pay for it.

The fact that they've gotten away with it for this long.. well, we don't use those kind of words to describe match officials on here.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
on a completely partisan point of view, its great to see some Rebels discards doing well at this early stage of RWC 15. Veainu, for Tonga, and of course Shota Horie (woefully underused) and Male Sa'u for Japan. Horie linking and passing play is really impressive.
impressive also the Georgian defence one on one and from the driving lineout.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Getting a good feeling about Ireland this year. With the fall of the Boks they are one of 3 teams I think can go all the way. A tough finals run with games against the Argies and NZ will push them. They should beat Argentina and have shown they can push NZ. I'm getting on the bandwagon early and tipping a gold and green final.

Anyone else have a second team?

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
If we want to have a chance against England in the scrums then we need our coaches and prominent former players accusing England of cheating.

We need headlines to point the referees who would see the headlines in the right direction.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
If we want to have a chance against England in the scrums then we need our coaches and prominent former players accusing England of cheating.

We need headlines to point the referees who would see the headlines in the right direction.
It won't make any difference to Roman Poite. The only thing that concerns him is who gets the nudge on. Whether or not they are legal doesn't remotely matter.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Not if Poite officiates it like Peyper did - letting Marler come in at the same angle as the ball being fed.

Poite won't officiate like Peyper. In simple terms Poite doesn't like nonsense at the engagement and rewards the dominant scrum provided it stays square. I'm not sure if the England boring in tactic will be rewarded as it's fairly obvious that their LH isn't remotely square.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
It won't make any difference to Roman Poite. The only thing that concerns him is who gets the nudge on. Whether or not they are legal doesn't remotely matter.

That's true to the extent that he doesn't trouble himself with trying to work out who has or hasn't infringed any number of laws at the scrum. And let's be honest, most refs get it right about 33% of the time (at best), wrong about 33% of the time and the other third is a toss of the coin - so I'm not sure that his method is any better or worse than the others.

I was watching a Top 14 game this year and Huia Edmonds explained the Poite doctrine to the viewers - no trickery at the engagement, stay square and the dominant scrum will be rewarded. I'm that flumoxed by what passes for refereeing at scrums that I can live with this interpretation. From what Edmonds said, in general the players prefer the Poite doctrine than the lottery that other refs engage in.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Is there a thread to discuss the seperate Pools?

Anyway, after Japan this morning, Pool B is completely open.

Any of Japan - Samoa - Scotland - South Africa can go through.

Even the US can cause an upset on their day. I think it will come down to bonus points in the end. Backing Samoa and then Japan (if they can replicate the same play).

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
That's true to the extent that he doesn't trouble himself with trying to work out who has or hasn't infringed any number of laws at the scrum. And let's be honest, most refs get it right about 33% of the time (at best), wrong about 33% of the time and the other third is a toss of the coin - so I'm not sure that his method is any better or worse than the others.

I was watching a Top 14 game this year and Huia Edmonds explained the Poite doctrine to the viewers - no trickery at the engagement, stay square and the dominant scrum will be rewarded. I'm that flumoxed by what passes for refereeing at scrums that I can live with this interpretation. From what Edmonds said, in general the players prefer the Poite doctrine than the lottery that other refs engage in.
I don't think he keeps scrums remotely square. The pressure on the hookers at times is frightening with everyone boring in.

aeneas

Tom Lawton (22)
Given that SA still managed 2 pts - assume they are still favoured to win their group as long as they beat scot and sam handily?

I assume Japan's world cup will not stay at this level.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Getting a good feeling about Ireland this year. With the fall of the Boks they are one of 3 teams I think can go all the way. A tough finals run with games against the Argies and NZ will push them. They should beat Argentina and have shown they can push NZ.I'm getting on the bandwagon early and tipping a gold and green final.

Anyone else have a second team?

No4918, FYI, I have been tipping an Ireland v Australia final since August 2014!

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
Given that SA still managed 2 pts - assume they are still favoured to win their group as long as they beat scot and sam handily?

I assume Japan's world cup will not stay at this level.

We've won 3 out of our last 9 matches, and one of those was Italy. And after the Japan match, our confidence will be at an all-time low.

We're playing Scotland in Newcastle, up near the Scottish border. That match, for all intents on purposes, will be a home game for them. If we don't lose by at least 15, I'll be very surprised.

We may sneak Samoa, but we'll no doubt leave that match with a bus full of injuries, which isn't gonna help. But it's part of the tournament and one of its beauties - squad depth. And we're in a pickle in that, if we play our B team, we'll lose easily, and if we play our A team, our best players will be injured.

Luckily, it doesn't look like Meyer knows who his A team is at the moment, so who knows who will play.

Status
Not open for further replies.