• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC 2023 Qualifying & Miscellany

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Bloody hell, that’s now 4/5 World Cups since 2007 that the Wallabies have been in the same pool with Wales and Fiji.........

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So, not that it means anything, but if you went by rankings to determine who qualifies the pools would look like this:

Pool A: New Zealand, France, Italy, USA (Americas 1) & Namibia (Africa 1)
Pool B: South Africa, Ireland, Scotland, Samoa (Asia/Pacific 1) & Spain (Europe 2)
Pool C: Wales, Australia, Fiji, Georgia (Europe 1) & Romania (Qualifier - see below)
Pool D: England, Japan, Argentina, Tonga (Oceania 1) & Uruguay (Americas 2)

Qualifiers could be out of Kenya (Africa 2), Canada (Americas 3), Romania (Europe 3) & Hong Kong (Asia/Pacific 2)

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)
Will be interesting to see if Spain make it this time round. They've been the quiet improvers of world rugby over the last decade.

They would likely have made the last World Cup if not for being banned for fielding an unqualified player.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Match schedule is out:

IMG_1078.JPG

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Definitely on the easy side of the draw. If things go to plan we will have ‘only’ Argentina/Japan in the QF in Marseille then England/Argentina in Paris for the Semi. Whereas SA, France & NZ have to duke it out.

But definitely gonna be in Marseille for that weekend of the QFs.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Definitely on the easy side of the draw. If things go to plan we will have ‘only’ Argentina/Japan in the QF in Marseille then England/Argentina in Paris for the Semi. Whereas SA, France & NZ have to duke it out.

But definitely gonna be in Marseille for that weekend of the QFs.
No. If we top the pool and win the quarter, we face the winner of QF2. By seeding that would be either RSA or France.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Yeah - England wins. And none of us want that.

Speaking of the war, some top quality war matchups in Group D.

First the poms and argies get to have a short pants reenactment of the Battle for the Falklands.

Then later Japan takes on some sort of Americas outfit.

Then Japan set about retaking some poor little Pacific Island again.

Then Japan and the English reenact the pacific retreat of 1945.

Just a shame for Japan now that 78% of their national rugby team are not even Japanese people. Oh dear.

#WWII_Final_Score;_0-1.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Yeah the graph isn't great, is it?

I'd put money on South Africa to top the pool and bump either France or NZ. Their side of the draw is tough.

Sheepie

Sydney Middleton (9)
Fiji have two games in Bordeaux? IF I get my shit together and head to France I guess I'll be cheering for Fiji next RWC as that's my favourite drop of red.