• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC 2023 Qualifying & Miscellany

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Not sure where else to put this but Vern Cotter has resigned from head coach of Fiji in an effort to one-up Rugby Australia.
Just got back from a few days away, and read this Dc, not sure what it's about. Did he get pushed or what?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
^ I've yet to see Sky's cricket coverage freeze during the bowler's run up & remain frozen while the commentators are gushing over what a great shot was just played. Maybe the next people to try streaming will team up with a decent service provider & if so I'll make the switch but until then I'm happy to pay the extra $3 a month & get what I'm paying for 99.9% of the time.
Yep I have been looking at options to WOB, was watching news other night on tv1 and changed to streamimg service and the rugby was I found quite jumpy. And looked at how much rugby and different sports I get on Sky and will stick with them at this stage. We get a shit load of NH club rugby, 7s, 6N, cricket from around world, Golf, Darts all major yankee sports etc and soccer etc, though I don't watch them all do browse a hell of a lot of sports in pretty good clarity etc, no freezing as such, so I stuck with bloody Sky!

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Rennie has a non-compete clause, I don't think there's any chance we see him coaching Fiji this year. I assume Wayne Pivac, the other former head coach from the pool is the same.

I wonder if Mick Byrne or Simon Rawalui might step in as the interim coach, given the familiarity they'll both have with the squad.
Simon's name has already been floated as one of the main contenders.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Non-compete clauses sounds pretty cringe in general, but, that aside, how does one enforce them internationally?

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
How so, exactly? I genuinely have no idea. Just initially sounds sus to my lizard brain.

Last edited:

dru

Tim Horan (67)
How so, exactly? I genuinely have no idea. Just initially sounds sus to my lizard brain.

If Rennie broke the non-compete clause the contract is nul and any payments still required from RA becomes arguable.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
If Rennie broke the non-compete clause the contract is nul and any payments still required from Rugby Australia becomes arguable.
If the right deal was put up though, RA could look to cut some of their cost by letting him go. They probably end up paying some of the shortfall between the Fiji and Wallaby contract though. There is that whole coaching another team in your pool aspect though, perhaps even part paying them to do so. Under Clyne I would have seen this as the most likely scenario. Under McLennan not so much, but it could be a big chunk of cash in a bad year for revenue.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If I was RA and Rennie wanted to take a job with Fiji and void the roughly $1m that RA still owes him I'd absolutely jump at the chance.

I couldn't care less about playing them at the RWC. You have to be of the mindset that he doesn't move the needle enough to be concerned about him coaching a rival you're playing.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Tautology or argument agreement?

I'm not sure what you mean. I was answering in terms of enforcing the non-compete clause internationally. It would mean Rennie has breached his obligations under the contract so they can just stop paying him and he has no comeback against that.

In terms of the non-compete clause I guess theoretically RA could continue to uphold his contract by paying him and attempt to force him not to take a competing role elsewhere until the contract expires. I'm not entirely sure what that would look like.

I would assume that the contract allows Rennie to resign and end the contract with some notice period (like every employment contract) and I would think that would void the contract and allow Rennie to work elsewhere.

Non-compete clauses are notoriously hard to enforce even when the competing relates to poaching clients of your former employer. In this sort of situation I'd say it is impossible to prevent someone whose contract has ended (because they terminated it) from taking a job elsewhere.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Australian Government sponsoring Samoa RWC campaign

Again Australia doing more for Pacific nations rugby than NZRU who made a farce of the entire reason Moana Pasifika were setup by selecting Levi Aumua for the All Blacks XV last year. Before anyone shouts me down yes I know Aumua is a Kiwi with however that completely misses the point of the team.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Apples and oranges. You're comparing a regional power sovereign government entangled in global geopolotical shenanigans, acting at the behest of a global superpower, to a rugby union.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Looks can be deceiving, my young padawan.

[Pamela Melroy, NASA Deputy Administrator] noted that New Zealand was only one of five nations in the world with the capability to [produce and] launch rockets into space.

Gigachad New Zealand top five space power vs. virgin Australia regional power.

Last edited: