• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC: AUS v ENG (Twickenham): POOL A; 6am (AEDT) Sunday 4 October

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTF?

Tom Lawton (22)
There is one thing that is bothering me about the Wallabies backline at the moment and that is Tevita Kuridrani. He just does not seem to have that ability to break the line like he did last year. I don't think his defence has been rock solid either. I think To'omua or AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13 is offering more at this stage.

On another note, I thought Cooper did some good things last night, but far too many bad ones like major crabbing sideways, passing to no-one and his two kicks in play were woeful - one went out in goal and the second straight down the throat of the opposition who made good meters. I don't need to say anything about the place kicks.

drewprint

John Solomon (38)
1. Scott Sio
2. Stephen Moore (c)
3. Sekope Kepu
4. Rob Simmons
5. Kane Douglas
6. Scott Fardy
7. Michael Hooper
8. David Pocock
9. Nick Phipps
10. Bernard Foley
11. Rob Horne
12. Matt Giteau
13. Tevita Kuridrani
14. Adam Ashley-Cooper
15. Israel Folau

16. Tatafu Polota-Nau
17. James Slipper
18. Greg Holmes
19. Dean Mumm
20. Ben McCalman
21. Will Genia
22. Matt To'omua
23. Kurtley Beale

That's the team that knocks England out of their home World Cup. :cool:

I'd have Genia over Phipps, and maybe Mitchell over Horne, but essentially I agree. This game will be massive!

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I think we will see a completely different game plan than the one which the Wallabies played against Uruguay. Last night there was lots of 2-3 man cut passes with the idea being the Wobs wingers could get one on one with the less experienced players, that won't work the same against at England (frankly I don't think it worked last night either) but I think Cheika is a good coach to know that.

I know comparisons to league are sometimes frowned upon on these forums but I see England's defense as very similar to how most rugby league teams organise themselves, rushing up quickly to shut down the ball playing space. Good league teams explot that with properly executed second man plays, especially with big forwards taking the ball to the line and then giving a second pass to a man running off the hip. I think the Wallabies will play that style of game as they have a very good attacking forward pack.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Cooper on the bench and the Wobs finishing with a 10. Foley 12. Cooper combo in order to put our best attacking passer on the back end of some second man plays.

drewprint

John Solomon (38)
Also, help desperately needed. Do any Sunshine Coast types know of a pub in the Mooloolaba area where I can watch the game?

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I spend quite a bit of time up the Sunshine Coast and I think you'll be hard pressed to find a pub that will stay open that late/early. Although I'm not really hip the whole club scene so might be wrong.

There is an Irish bar at Noosa that might show it but I'm pretty sure it turns into a night club around 10pm or something.

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
I think we will see a completely different game plan than the one which the Wallabies played against Uruguay. Last night there was lots of 2-3 man cut passes with the idea being the Wobs wingers could get one on one with the less experienced players, that won't work the same against at England (frankly I don't think it worked last night either) but I think Cheika is a good coach to know that.

Something similar worked well for Wales to nullify the rush defence and get some width.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Yeh Wales played with width but seemed to stand deep on that first pass of the ruck, through some hands and then hit nice and wide. The Wallabies v Uru were going one pass off the ruck then straight to the sideline. A good defense should be able to cover that.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think the team Qwerty posted will be it except Genia will retain the 9 jersey and Phipps will be on the bench.

McCalman for Skelton will be the only change to the 23 from the Fiji game.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
Did I miss some news? if he is out for the whole pool stages then we're f*cked. They won't play Slade now and the others can't bloody pass, so our back 3 will only get the ball when kicked too! Grrrrr!

English newspaper report "And it is now understood that Joseph’s injury is more serious than first thought and he is now likely to be sidelined for two to three weeks." They're saying 3 weeks.

Lee Enfield

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Well, if Foley is 10, the Wallabies will not score enough tries to beat the English. They will just grind it out and take 3 points via penalties and drop goals. The English will hold no fear of the ball getting wide enough quick enough to create space with Foley at 10. The outside backs will have limited ball and no space, cause Foley couldn't crack a safe with the combination, let alone an international defence. With Foley at 10, Poms to win 25-13.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Well, if Foley is 10, the Wallabies will not score enough tries to beat the English. They will just grind it out and take 3 points via penalties and drop goals. The English will hold no fear of the ball getting wide enough quick enough to create space with Foley at 10. The outside backs will have limited ball and no space, cause Foley couldn't crack a safe with the combination, let alone an international defence. With Foley at 10, Poms to win 25-13.

And I suppose if Quade is 10 we'll win comfortably?

I think Quade needed an outstanding performance to take the 10 jersey from Foley. It didn't happen and it would seem very unlikely that he'll be in the 23 next weekend.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Some interesting comments. It seems GAGR would have half the number of comments if not for Quade Cooper.

My two cents worth - I actually thought Quade showed more than enough to show he is a much better pick than Foley around the field. I confess to being a Quade fan, but up until yesterday I didn't think he had showed nearly enough form/confidence in himself this year and Foley was the much better choice.

Unfortunately, Quade's goal kicking let him down, while Foleys has been more consistent recently and I don't think we can take on the Poms & the Welsh without an accurate kicker. So, whilst I think Cooper is the better playmaker I think Cheika will and should stick to Foley.

I am somewhat tempted to suggest that Cooper and Beale should both be on the bench as they work extremely well together and could really spark the attack in the last 15, but we would be stuffed with an early injury, so To'omua needs to keep his spot as he is much better rounded, and Cheika seems more likely to sub Giteau than Foley.

I do think Cheika needs to add some attacking spark and that might be enough to get Mitchell a jersey in front of Horne.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

So your game plan would be to go wide and for all out attack against England?

Interesting, we would then select who outside him - how would you pick a side?

Personally, I see the game being a grinding dock yard brawl.

I see England wanting to invest heavily in slowing our ball, while playing stop/start rugby, wanting to play from set piece to set piece and rushing big time in the backs.

So those "opportunities" to go wide to be off slow, back foot ball most of the time and deep in our own territory.

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)

I think Quade needed an outstanding performance to take the 10 jersey from Foley. It didn't happen and it would seem very unlikely that he'll be in the 23 next weekend.

We all know what you think when it comes to QC (Quade Cooper), BH ;)

Lee Enfield

Jimmy Flynn (14)

Not at all....I think it will be a tough tight encounter and if the wallabies win, it wont be comfortably. I think the poms will get around 25 points, and Cooper gives us the best chanceto get more than 25.
Foley: Poms 25-13
Cooper: Aus 31-25.

Status
Not open for further replies.