• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC: Australia v Fiji - 23 September 16:45, Millenium Stadium(24 September 1:45 AEST)

Status
Not open for further replies.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Cheika had already said he was playing two lineups in the opening two games. From that he'll likely have a good idea of what is happening in the conditions.

Not sure how you think Volavola outplayed Foley - besides 1 try he's hamstrung that Fijian backline in both games they've played so far.
I didn't mean to infer Ben V played well.
Just that I believed he played better than Foley.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
No if Australia win all four matches without any bonus point then they end up with 16 points.
If England beat Wales, Uruguay & Fiji with bonus point wins but lose to AUS but pick up 2 bonus points in the loss (1 for loss less than seven point and another for scoring 4 tries then they will end with 17 points.

We are not specifically discussing getting out of the pool here as I am assuming that where we finish is important. The bonus point is big deal in terms of whether we finish 1 or 2. Sure, to win whole darn thing then bonus points don't mean crap, but the teams that we have to beat to do it may be very different.

I was referring to the fact that a three way tie (in terms of wins) is a far more likely outcome than us going 4/4 and not having the most points.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
With regards to the back line play i'd suggest that the Wobbly management crew will be keeping a fair amount in the bag in anticipation of matches to come.

yeah, that's been said for a while though. I hope they're damn good trainers because to bring it in all of a sudden for England or the finals is going to take some pretty special abilities.

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
I was referring to the fact that a three way tie (in terms of wins) is a far more likely outcome than us going 4/4 and not having the most points.

Fair enough Lorenzo. To be quiet honest I didn't even consider Wales as potential contenders as I have rudely discounted their hopes in this RWC. I can't see them beating either England or Australia given their recent run of injuries.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
As much as many on hear will not like to hear it, we are not going to win this thing without QC (Quade Cooper) playing at 10 and playing well.

This is a bit of a mythical statement that doesn't really have any basis in reality.

I think everyone agrees that if QC (Quade Cooper) was on fire he'd be our starting 10 and give us the best chance to win the cup.

Foley is being compared against a Quade Cooper that we haven't seen in 2015 and have only seen in small patches in the last few years.

A more realistic comment would be that we're not going to win the RWC because neither Foley nor Cooper are playing well enough. Both need to improve their form and Cooper isn't likely to get the starting role back in the big games without dramatically improving his form.

Giteau and Kuridrani both need to improve in attack substantially as well.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well gotta say I enjoyed game, thought the Wallabies played alright, looked a bit rusty (like the ABs the other day),but the run would of done them the world of good. Pocock I suspect may well have made the 8 jersey his!! All in all shaping up as a good tournament.

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
This is a bit of a mythical statement that doesn't really have any basis in reality.

I think everyone agrees that if QC (Quade Cooper) was on fire he'd be our starting 10 and give us the best chance to win the cup.

Foley is being compared against a Quade Cooper that we haven't seen in 2015 and have only seen in small patches in the last few years.

A more realistic comment would be that we're not going to win the RWC because neither Foley nor Cooper are playing well enough. Both need to improve their form and Cooper isn't likely to get the starting role back in the big games without dramatically improving his form.

Giteau and Kuridrani both need to improve in attack substantially as well.

I wouldn't say it is mythical BH as QC (Quade Cooper) has shown he has the ability to deliver what is needed to win the big prize. Personally I think his recent form has not been as bad as some on the boards would like to make out. I never said that his current form was great nor would he be selected to start. The only comment I wished to make is that without him playing at his best and being in the starting lineup I don't think we will be able to go all the way. I can also understand how hard it must be for the Aussie fans who dislike the bloke to accept that our chances of winning are in someway dependent on his success.

As much as I appreciate the thinking behind the rotational selection strategy, I am hoping that by the end of the England match that Cheika sticks with a starting 15 through the finals. If by the end of the England match Foley has stayed on par with his current form, and QC (Quade Cooper) has not shown anything more, then we are politely f**ked.

Reactions: TSR

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think it's staggering that our lineout continues to be so dysfunctional when Simmons isn't playing..........

It was faultless for an hour, and then 3 straight losses.

The first one seemed to be a timing issue between the throw, and Fardy and his lifters not getting up quick enough..........

The second one dropped cold by Mumm.........

And then Moore seemed to go for the sneaky throw to a standing jumper, except nobody was expecting it............

I'm not sure what the fix is here, but obviously they'll get plenty of practice against Uruguay.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Was this the first time this year that we have seen To'omua 10 / Gits 12?..or did that pop up at some point in TRC?

I couldn't tell you. I base my comment on the changes he delivered when he came on in TRC with more than 110 seconds left on the clock. IIRC our attack was immediately more direct, more diverse and my stress levels when inside backs were in-line to tackle big bodies decreased markedly.

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
After watching a replay, aside from looking like world beaters in the first half, what really stood out to me was how ineffective our backline was.

When we weren't kicking away possession, none of our backs really threatened the gain line apart from Folau. Kuridrani was quiet, Giteau was good with the ball, Foley was really average, Horne made a myriad of mistakes and we didn't really see much of AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). I hope this isn't a trend because we have the weapons - TK, IF, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) on the edge - to put points on.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The first one seemed to be a timing issue between the throw, and Fardy and his lifters not getting up quick enough....

I think it was purely the throw. Fardy is about two places deeper in the lineout than where the Fijian player won the ball. The throw was way too low.

I also don't get the criticism of Foley?

Thought he played well, although I still don't agree with partnering him with Giteau.....

I thought he was decent enough as well.

None of our backline except maybe Folau were particularly good in attack. Folau was stifled because it was the only option we kept going with which became very predictable.

Better games from Giteau and Kuridrani in attack would have made Foley look better. We just weren't providing enough options.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I've been as vocal a supporter of Quade Cooper as many, but I'm sorry, I cannot buy into this mantra that we cannot win without him playing. I know he's had fewer opportunities to show his hand of late, but his form in recent years, in between injuries, has been patchy at best, and nowhere near this "match-winning" level that is his upside.
I just think our backline has balance issues. Giteau is working quite well at 12, but the 10 / 12 / 13 combination is not unlocking anything. I think we need to play Giteau for his experience, and his kicking ability, but I'm stumped as to who works best either side. Kuridrani has dropped off form considerably, and we need to see some things from him that players like Nonu and SBW bring - i.e. bend or break the line and put your support player away. He just doesn't of late. I don't really have an answer.
Last night, in the first half especially I was quite impressed with Genia, who had his best time on the field for some time - quick to the ball, got it away mostly quickly with a minimum of hopping around, AND I thought his box-kicking was not too bad. Yeah, it's much-maligned in the past (I may or may not have penned an article telling him to put it away at some stage!!) but last night he used them better. Directed better, depth better and most importantly, we had a better chase. Still room to improve but the box-kick should not be discarded as a bad play, if it can be done well. Witness how much Scotland used it to effect against Japan last night. He must have the starting 9 jersey locked in for now.
I thought Foley took it to the line well, but he really needs to look for the offload inside , and we need to have people there - there were chances on the inside shoulder last night. And he tackled fine, including bootlegging Nadolo, which few manage. But I agree, he needs to do more.
Kuridrani I covered, and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is set there, and I thought Horne did well - some good bustling runs and solid defence.
I'll be interested to see what Cooper / To'omua bring against Uruguay, but will bear in mind that they aren't Fiji. Who are not crap, as we have now witnessed in 2 games. In most other pools, Fiji would be a strong chance to progress.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I think it was purely the throw. Fardy is about two places deeper in the lineout than where the Fijian player won the ball. The throw was way too low.

I thought he was decent enough as well.

None of our backline except maybe Folau were particularly good in attack. Folau was stifled because it was the only option we kept going with which became very predictable.

Better games from Giteau and Kuridrani in attack would have made Foley look better. We just weren't providing enough options.
If the 10 is not adding value,it makes it hard for the centres to have much penetration.
My problem with Foley is that he either tucks it under his arm and scoots,or gives it early so the defence is never really asked to make a read.
Both To'omua & QC (Quade Cooper) play at the line a lot more,which is riskier,but more effective when done well.
If we are going to win,we need to take risks.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
After watching a replay, aside from looking like world beaters in the first half, what really stood out to me was how ineffective our backline was.

When we weren't kicking away possession, none of our backs really threatened the gain line apart from Folau. Kuridrani was quiet, Giteau was good with the ball, Foley was really average, Horne made a myriad of mistakes and we didn't really see much of AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). I hope this isn't a trend because we have the weapons - TK, IF, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) on the edge - to put points on.
Really? A countless number of mistakes? What were they? He hardly saw much ball and mainly tackled.
And all 3 of those weapons tend to die with the ball - one of our backline's lingering problems.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Horne's mistake was dropping the flat, cut out pass from Foley in the first half when we were under penalty advantage and he would have scored if he caught it.

That's the sort of play we want our wingers making to finish tries.

Aside from that he was pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.