• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC: FIJ v URU (Milton Keynes), Pool A: Mon 6 Oct

Status
Not open for further replies.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
Final moments and Fiji open up off a lineout, go wide, and Nadolo breaks a tackle to score on the other edge. Conversion good, and Fiji sets their highest try-scoring mark in a World Cup, finishing the game 47-15.

Look out England, Los Teros can score.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Enjoyable game as leicester crowd equally seemed to enjoy it....

As Urugray with team full of amateurs against team of professionals were never going to win but they had a good old fashion crack and scored some good tries.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Isn't the cannonball tackle that low shoulder into the legs from behind? I was never quite clear on that.

Thoughts on the chop tackle? That's the Lydiate Special, tackling just below the knees. Lydiate tries to wrap, but low shots like that always bring some risk. I had LCL reconstruction once after something similar in wrestling practice.

"Cannonball" tackles can be from behind, from the side or even front-on, it's pretty much anything that attacks the legs shoulder-first & without wrapping. It's dangerous as all hell and dealt with quite harshly by the NRL judiciary.

The Lydiate chop IMO isn't quite a cannonball but nor is it quite an old-school "bootlaces" tackle either. I'm OK with it provided the tackler is making a genuine attempt to wrap, preferably with both arms, but I'm always glad to see the tackled player back on his feet.

I'm watching the tail end of the highlights & see the Uruguayan 9 copped a second YC so will be fronting the judiciary. It'll be interesting to see what they make of his first YC (didn't see what lead to the second, tuned in just as he was heading off).

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
"Cannonball" tackles can be from behind, from the side or even front-on, it's pretty much anything that attacks the legs shoulder-first & without wrapping. It's dangerous as all hell and dealt with quite harshly by the NRL judiciary.

The Lydiate chop IMO isn't quite a cannonball but nor is it quite an old-school "bootlaces" tackle either. I'm OK with it provided the tackler is making a genuine attempt to wrap, preferably with both arms, but I'm always glad to see the tackled player back on his feet.

I'm watching the tail end of the highlights & see the Uruguayan 9 copped a second YC so will be fronting the judiciary. It'll be interesting to see what they make of his first YC (didn't see what lead to the second, tuned in just as he was heading off).

Ormaechea's second yellow came after he and Campese Ma'afu got into a shoving match in goal after Fiji scored another try. The Teros were trying to keep the Fijian from getting the ball down, but it was well down, and the ref had already blown the whistle. Second yellow for Ormaechea, and a yellow for Ma'afu -- mainly because there had already been a couple of scuffles and they were both on a team warning.

I just saw what Tuilagi got his five weeks for, and have to admit there must be an angle I haven't seen. It looked like the tackler just took an incidental knee in the process of trying to tackle a massive human around the legs, a massive human who looked like he was only running. Maybe there's footage showing Tuilagi actually throwing his knee into the the tackler's chest -- five weeks is a heavy penalty -- but I didn't see it.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^^ yup, there's an angle that clearly shows him take a few steps with the normal amount of knee-lift but then just as he goes into contact the leading knee comes up significantly higher & collects the tackler. You could argue about the five weeks, but not that it wasn't deliberate.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
^^^^^^^^^ yup, there's an angle that clearly shows him take a few steps with the normal amount of knee-lift but then just as he goes into contact the leading knee comes up significantly higher & collects the tackler. You could argue about the five weeks, but not that it wasn't deliberate.

Said the same thing on another thread. Once you slow the video down (YouTube, 25% speed), he clear flings that knee into the tackle.

You see ball-carriers also swinging forearms into heads in a similar deflection tactic, and I'm not sure that's all that much better. In the NRL, one of the counter-arguments for banning the shoulder charge is that ball carriers can basically do the same thing. Ben Te'o has done it more than once at Leinster since he arrived.

And as I type that, the Georgian hooker does exactly that, smashing his forearm into the Namibian #23 while carrying the ball, and he's just been given a yellow card for it.

Sidenote, because there's no thread: The Namibians are trying to wrestle with the Georgians too much. They can't wrestle the Georgians. No one can, except maybe the Russians; the Georgians are nearly as good at wrestling as the Russians, and they're better at rugby. Don't wrestle the Georgians.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Just on recollection, I seem to recall a similar incident involving Ita Vaea running into Nizaam Carr of the Stormers in the Super Rugby 1/4 final this year.

5 weeks seems a little stiff though it does warrant some penalty.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Lot's of niggle and minor foul play in this match. Maybe Uruguay had set themselves for this and went in with too much passion and aggression.

I came away very impressed by the improvement in Fiji. I thought that they held their discipline quite well. Can't believe that Mafu was yellow carded - someone pushed him over for no particular reason.

In any other pool Fiji would have pressed for a quarter final spot.

Hopefully this will be the last we'll see of Mr Doyle at this RWC.:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.