• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC Oct 15 2023 1/8 Final Ire vs NZ.

Ire vs NZ

• Go Ireland

Votes: 23 60.5%
  • Go NZ

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Go the TMO

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Go f**** yourself

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Go home, RWC finished last week

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • this pole started nicely enough then took on a bit of a negative turn

Votes: 10 26.3%

• Total voters

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Official Ireland Team Matchday GIF:

84HR5T4.gif

Official NZ Team Matchday GIF:

200.gif

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Foster optimistic that Lomax will be OK, says it's only a strain. Expected to do some light running today then they'll see how he pulls up before looking at their options.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Ireland with injury concerns,

Hansen - tweaked calf, passed HIA and returned to feel a bit tight and get dragged straight away
Lowe - Couldn't open one eye, should be fit by next weekend
Earls - tweaked hamstring
Henshaw - tweaked hamstring
Ryan - Possible broken hand/wrist

Sending one home would mean Healy comes straight back into the match day 23 in the front row, problem with Earls and Henshaw is they cover so many positions in the 23 jersey.

Kevin77

Fred Wood (13)
As an Irishman I'm so nervous/excited for this.

I've watched us climb from the dark days of the 90's, to our provincial teams doing well in the Heineken cup, to starting to gain respectability with the occassional win over Australia or South Africa.

We stared to win Triple Crowns and Six Nations Championships and eventually a Grand Slam. But we were still mocked for our World Cup hoodoo and failure to beat the All Blacks.

The first victory came against the All Blacks in 2015 in Chicago and was quickly followed by a second. Yet we still choked at the 2019 World Cup..against New Zealand.

Since then Andy Farrell has come in and we've won another Grand Slam, beaten every tier one side and had a series win in NZ.

We're now on the back of a 17 game winning streak, many of them in style.

How appropriate that New Zealand of all teams stand in the way of the second to last great Irish ceiling? A quarter final win.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
^^^Kind of glad the time difference means I'll be watching this game alone. The nerves are real, NZ want payback for series defeat, NZ don't want to another team to equal 18 games, let alone reach 19.

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
^^^Kind of glad the time difference means I'll be watching this game alone. The nerves are real, NZ want payback for series defeat, NZ don't want to another team to equal 18 games, let alone reach 19.
Not really. If Ireland beats the All Blacks then we will be hoping they go on to win the whole bloody thing. We will be too busy building the guillotine for Foster to worry about the finals anyway. Never have I seen such ambivalence towards a RWC as I have seen at present. We know we have the wrong coach for the job (not that I am sold on Razor myself). It will be nothing like the 2007 quarter final exit.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
AB not favourites at TAB ($2.00:$1.80) for only the fifth time in 359 outings since sports betting started.

Previous occasions:

$2.00 v South Africa, Mbombela, 2022 – lost 26-10

$2.50 v South Africa, Durban, 2009 – lost 31-19

$2.60 v South Africa, Bloemfontein, 2009 – lost 28-19

$2.30 v South Africa, Durban, 1998 – lost 24-23

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
AB not favourites at TAB ($2.00:$1.80) for only the fifth time in 359 outings since sports betting started.

Previous occasions:

$2.00 v South Africa, Mbombela, 2022 – lost 26-10

$2.50 v South Africa, Durban, 2009 – lost 31-19

$2.60 v South Africa, Bloemfontein, 2009 – lost 28-19

$2.30 v South Africa, Durban, 1998 – lost 24-23
This match should be even money, I don't think anyone in all honesty from both sides of supporters knows how it's going to play out.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
When are the officials announced? For better or for worse, I think the choice of referee will have a big impact on either teams chances (more so the AB's, unfortunately).

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
If Ireland happen to make the final, just got the go ahead from the boss to head to Paris.
Your a lucky man, while mine would not stand in the way, the current interest rate and daycare fees is standing clearly in the way.

I don't know how I am going to handle this weekend, let alone if we make the final. At least with 6am I don't have to worry to much about waking everyone. Kids would be getting up and would just close the door to the bedroom so wife can try to sleep.

Kevin77

Fred Wood (13)
Your a lucky man, while mine would not stand in the way, the current interest rate and daycare fees is standing clearly in the way.

I don't know how I am going to handle this weekend, let alone if we make the final. At least with 6am I don't have to worry to much about waking everyone. Kids would be getting up and would just close the door to the bedroom so wife can try to sleep.
Yeah, it's killer but have a little fund set aside for this exact scenario. Won't cover it all but a good chunk.

I hear you. My 8 year old daughter got up at 3am and watched the Scotland match at the weekend. I have no idea how I'm going to sleep before the match this weekend. I'm already wound up.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
If Ireland happen to make the final, just got the go ahead from the boss to head to Paris.
^ how much is that going to cost you (the go-ahead not the Final)?
It will depend on how France go. In 2015 when we unexpectedly made the final I seriously had a look at doing a 'hit and run' trip to London. Flights were't an issue, and accommodation was surprisingly reasonable. Further, there were numerous options where I could have sourced a ticket as all the Poms (mainly) and others who had bought tickets on spec were offloading them. I didn't end up going but it was due to time constraints, the financials well and truly stacked up.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Good ref, so no probs (but I say no probs with any ref anyway). I actually reasonably relaxed about how game goes, ABs will either win or lose to a very good Irish team, and guess my life will go on regardless.
Mind you I got a NPC semi final 9 Naki/Canterbury)to go to that I'm into as much anyway.