• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC: Pool C - Wallabies v Fiji - Monday 18 Sep 2am AEST

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
If the Fijians are "seeking him out" they have run through the whole defensive structure - that could be described as a bigger issue

Donaldson will be there because he kicked his goals and didn't play shit, every 15 misses tackles in that last line
I mean if he is chosen at 10, which has been suggested. Occasionally he will have to be defending in the line even from 15 if there. Gordon and he will be seen as the weakest links. Thats where the big Fijians like to run.
And no, not all 15s get brushed off like he was on the weekend. He needs to tighten up that part of his game.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)

Tom Decent writing that Fiji's close loss to Wales is probably a good thing for the Wobs. Main point of the argument is that if we beat Fiji this week then we've pretty much guaranteed a spot to the Quarters based on that we're top of the table with a winning bonus point, given the machinations of how the scoring works. If we beat Fiji they can only win a maximum of two games, where we could potentially win all four.

Concerning though that the pundits are already getting into the machinations of the table this early on!

dru

Tim Horan (67)

Tom Decent writing that Fiji's close loss to Wales is probably a good thing for the Wobs. Main point of the argument is that if we beat Fiji this week then we've pretty much guaranteed a spot to the Quarters based on that we're top of the table with a winning bonus point, given the machinations of how the scoring works. If we beat Fiji they can only win a maximum of two games, where we could potentially win all four.

Concerning though that the pundits are already getting into the machinations of the table this early on!

Not exactly - the Wales v Fiji game was always going to lead lead to ramifications. While there is clearly plenty to go, if Fiji don't win against the Wallabies the Group Winner and Runner up is pretty much locked. And naturally we would anticipate a win over Fiji.

Now with the best plans of mice and men...

Overtime

Herbert Moran (7)
I was one of the one's wanting a bigger body at 7 than McReight, however I thought McReight had a awesome game against Georgia and I doubt Eddie will replace him at this stage. I would also probably play him this game as defence will be key against Fiji and your going to need two of the back rowers to last 80. McReight and Tom Hopper have huge motors and can do that. I think where McReight, Michael Hooper and the smaller 7's get found out are against the better sides like France, South Africa, Ireland and New Zealand. The clean out of the top sides is much better and pilferers and smaller 7's often struggle against these better sides. I was glad Donaldson showed what he is capable of. I was singing his praises for a long time but am the first to admit that he is lucky to be in the squad given his performance at Super Rugby this year. I also think the better sides would target Donaldson at the back more so than Georgia did. If he is at the back against the better sides he will be found out. This leaves a question mark over the 10 position, if Gordon's kicking doesn't improve does Donaldson move to 10? Clearly Gordon is the better defender and more likely to find space for the backs. Both of them have a big boot on them. However, in the quarters and if we are lucky we make the semi's and through divine intervention we make the final, kicking goals are more likely to be the difference between the sides.

Overtime

Herbert Moran (7)
I think it's wrong to characterise McReight as a pilferer. I think that his pilfering isnt his greatest strength and that he has a much more diverse game than a pure pilferer like Pocock.
True, McReight is a good defender and a great link player as well. Note, I wasn't characterising McReight so much a pilferer he however he does have a smaller frame than many back rowers today. I think the way the game has evolved you get more out of having a bigger back row. I like the idea of having Tom Hooper at 7 and Leota or even Frost at 6. Frost, is mobile, has pace and is probably the best line out jumper we have. Just my thoughts.

Overtime

Herbert Moran (7)
Yes lumbering giants of quivering meat in other positions. This is going to be hugely unpopular here, however I would like to see Gleeson given a go at 8 with Valentini on the bench. Valentini is great at Super Rugby level but lately has been reminding me of Cliffy Palu, not bringing a lot to internationals against better sides. Gleeson has that Maro Itoje or Ardie Savea go about him. I am aware Maro plays lock.

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
Yes lumbering giants of quivering meat in other positions. This is going to be hugely unpopular here, however I would like to see Gleeson given a go at 8 with Valentini on the bench. Valentini is great at Super Rugby level but lately has been reminding me of Cliffy Palu, not bringing a lot to internationals against better sides. Gleeson has that Maro Itoje or Ardie Savea go about him. I am aware Maro plays lock.
Valentini was a bit quiet against Georgia but other than that he’s played around the high level we expect of him each week

dru

Tim Horan (67)

Cripes. I like the guy, but talk about OTT.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I'm a fan of Gleeson, but Valetini has been a very solid player at both provincial and Test level; Gleeson has far fewer runs on the board at either level - it really makes no sense to talk of dropping Valetini. Hard to see how he's done enough to be compared to Itoje or Savea, to be honest.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Gleeson looks like he has a lot of potential but I don’t understand the constant push to find ways to justify his selection by elements of the forum. He may well be our next great 8, but he is a bench player at best at the moment.

Overtime

Herbert Moran (7)
Cripes. I like the guy, but talk about OTT.
Ah yes perhaps potential to have that go about him over time. My bad. We won't know if he isn't given a go. Not saying drop Valentini even though he has been a bit quiet. Just resting him. I think he has played huge minutes this year and might benefit from a rest.

Reactions: dru

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Ah yes perhaps potential to have that go about him over time. My bad. We won't know if he isn't given a go. Not saying drop Valentini even though he has been a bit quiet. Just resting him. I think he has played huge minutes this year and might benefit from a rest.
Most likely Gleeson starts at 8 against Portugal. He needs to be fitter and go longer but he has enormous potential. So does Valetini and after a few years in Super Rugby he is shining at the highest level. Agree re McReight too. He is a special player and will only get better. In fact our whole back row could be together a long time and improve massively as a unit.