• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC: Pool C - Wallabies v Fiji - Monday 18 Sep 2am AEST

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Dude may as well have been wearing a pith helmet.
"Checking that last play on the big screen..."
ZUL001AVsize-1600x900-c-default.jpeg

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Dude may as well have been wearing a pith helmet.
That's a very pithy statement.
Carley's one lack of judgement was allowing Wales too many penalties in their 22 without an early warning.
The Fijian yellow card was a professional foul.
Fiji as a team are even worse than the Wallabies when it comes to conceding penalties, though the latter appear to be cleaning up their act.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I would also like to see IFL start as he plays similarly to Tate. Presumably that would best suit the game plan.

I am a fan of IFL and have a strong feeling he could supplant Tate as the starting No 9 in Eddie's plan by the end of the tournament. IMO he brings all the sniping aspects of Tate's game with at least as much pace, has a better passing game and is next best to White with his kicking game. Nic has been a great servant to the Wallabies over the years, better than a lot here give him credit, but I think he'll be third preference by the end of the WC and maybe replaced by Lonergan in 2024.

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
Yes lumbering giants of quivering meat in other positions. This is going to be hugely unpopular here, however I would like to see Gleeson given a go at 8 with Valentini on the bench. Valentini is great at Super Rugby level but lately has been reminding me of Cliffy Palu, not bringing a lot to internationals against better sides. Gleeson has that Maro Itoje or Ardie Savea go about him. I am aware Maro plays lock.
how awesome would it be to watch gleeson get held up every second carry. terrible take to spear Bob

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Yes lumbering giants of quivering meat in other positions. This is going to be hugely unpopular here, however I would like to see Gleeson given a go at 8 with Valentini on the bench. Valentini is great at Super Rugby level but lately has been reminding me of Cliffy Palu, not bringing a lot to internationals against better sides. Gleeson has that Maro Itoje or Ardie Savea go about him. I am aware Maro plays lock.
Gleeson is direct and relentless .................... and was smashed by the Drua again and again

I am not sure you can win by hard direct running, I would think set piece to set piece and maul them to death - with the backs finishing off clear overlaps whilst working real hard defensively to limit their tackle offloads is the more sensible option

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Gleeson is direct and relentless .................... and was smashed by the Drua again and again

I am not sure you can win by hard direct running, I would think set piece to set piece and maul them to death - with the backs finishing off clear overlaps whilst working real hard defensively to limit their tackle offloads is the more sensible option
If hard direct running won tests alone Harry Wilson would be 8!

pissedoffihavetoregister

Bill Watson (15)
Gleeson has much the same issue as harry wilson, he needs to develop a side step. Which is something Bell and Tupou seem to have worked on (yay!) from what i spotted in the game v Georgia.

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
Team for Fiji;

1-8 Unchanged
9. White
10 - 15 Unchanged
Bench;
Phillip onto bench for Gleeson or Rangi. (Frost given another week).
Slipper onto bench if fit.
IFL in
Kelloway in for Suli

Mr Arie

Herbert Moran (7)
Keen to see what Phillip/Frost can do with 9 minutes off the bench. We should just take an extra back at this point.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Leota is a great option to have as the 2nd "lock reserve" on a 6-2 split.

I still don't understand his selection over Philip last weekend for the 5-3.
I agree. It’s not his go. Shame about Frost because he could cover Lock and 6 if they want that guy. Hooper has the attributes to do it but it must suck to play 60 mins then be shoved in there.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Frost apparently battling an ear injury, explains his omission last week

If stiches keep coming undone then wouldn't staples be an option?

Maybe he needs a wrestling head guard or waterpolo cap under headgear to provide protection?

Waterpolo.JPG

Wrestling.JPG

Of course these are uneducated ideas from an internet forum so they are probably impractical and experts would have an answer.