• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC: Pool C - Wallabies v Fiji - Monday 18 Sep 2am AEST

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
The force multiplier on this is the schools comps are poor.

Additionally, the same schools comps are crushing junior club rugby in many areas of Sydney, cutting off talent just as it is reaching development.
I am yet to see a chart of schools that are playing rugby. I do know that in Western Sydney in early 2000' to about 2013 we had 2 comps with about 20 schools playing and now there is NO comp at all. BTW this info was from 4-5 years ago from the guy who ran these comps. numbers are from memory.

Last edited:

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
He's right, we are a tier 2 nation, a lost cause. I cant really see the path back

NZ hitched their wagon to ours, good luck with that
Yep….I’m worried about that. I have long advocated for NZ to start working to strengthen Australian rugby - or at least not working to weaken it.

In saying that, I feel like Australia doesn’t help themselves sometimes.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
We don't need affirmative assistance we need to take control of our own issues and they go deep.
100%

The possibility exists. Resources are out there.

Problem is there's zero will. Rugby here doesn't want to make changes other than cosmetic tweaks.

Goosestep

Syd Malcolm (24)
I am aghast to attack players like Carter Gordon as it's not his decision to select himself. I believe his career is probably over based on his treatment. However it brings me to my point i absolutely HATE this ridiculous academy system that the super franchises have. I believe this is why we fail. Good kids are missing out on the ERC & Gen Blue programs primarily because they dont attend the right school. I watch alot of rugby and there would be better #10's playing 2nd grade club rugby than Carter Gordon. This kid has been through the ridiculous pathways and it is almost as if he needs to be selected to justify the stupid bloody programs. They are not developing elite players they are making kids of 14/15/16 think they are superstars and completely overlooking others. Agree or disagree?
Yes but it goes both ways Something they attend the “right school” and get overlooked there … big problem is there isn’t a solid club program / juniors program that allows more kids more opportunities.. one good thing the NRL does.

there’s a argument to make the likes of Farr Jones and kearns might not have made the wallabies in this current “academy/pathway” era …

Lots of kids are late bloomers and Australian
rugby does not cater to them .
Too

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Fiji look really fit and disciplined and have totally bought into their team (I must have heard at least 3 times through the on Refs mic a Fijian apologising for a penalty).

After England and the Wales game last week I am not sure what we were hoping for? They weren't going to get gassed by the 50th minute.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I am aghast to attack players like Carter Gordon as it's not his decision to select himself. I believe his career is probably over based on his treatment. However it brings me to my point i absolutely HATE this ridiculous academy system that the super franchises have. I believe this is why we fail. Good kids are missing out on the ERC & Gen Blue programs primarily because they dont attend the right school. I watch alot of rugby and there would be better #10's playing 2nd grade club rugby than Carter Gordon. This kid has been through the ridiculous pathways and it is almost as if he needs to be selected to justify the stupid bloody programs. They are not developing elite players they are making kids of 14/15/16 think they are superstars and completely overlooking others. Agree or disagree?

Can you name a few for us?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
there’s a argument to make the likes of Farr Jones and kearns might not have made the wallabies in this current “academy/pathway” era …

Lots of kids are late bloomers and Australian
rugby does not cater to them .

They can play club rugby. A bunch of players have got Super Rugby contracts after doing well in club rugby despite not really making state and national rep teams prior to that.

I'm not really sure what the alternative is though.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
You obviously don’t watch that much rugby then

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
They can play club rugby. A bunch of players have got Super Rugby contracts after doing well in club rugby despite not really making state and national rep teams prior to that.

People just want to complain.

Mr Arie

Herbert Moran (7)
The game should be promoted through public schools and low level juniors. Even if we dont get better quality players, we build supporters.The diehard league fans are often the common folk who failed to make it from juniors, supporting mates that they used to play with. Why, with how selective rugby union is in Australia, would the everyday person care?

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
I don't think the Fijians were accurate over the ball in the ruck, nor do I think the ref "was right about the calls". Which is different to being consistent and that is primarily what we are after. Many of the pinged (for Fiji) turnovers had hands in front of the ball on the ground, no clear release and no allowing the tackled player to place the ball. Contact time on the ball could not be measured in seconds, weirdly different to the usual rugby game at this RWC. There were times where the ruck had formed which was ignored and once even where a formed ruck was thereby determined to be sealing off, in dubious reffing. It was officiating completely at odds with what we have been seeing over recent years. And it definitely had an impact.

The scrum officiating was pants, but while I think on the whole it would have favoured Aus, especially in the first half, over all we would also have lost a few.

That said - the officiating was completely consistent to both teams, the Wallabies failed to adapt and yes that playing the ball on the ground (Arnold) was clearly wrong and lead directly to a try. So the officiating had an impact, but an impact that the Wallabies could have, and should have, negated by being more switched on, more professional (in terms of what you can get away with and what you can't).

We're also not being real by complaining about cards - if we are relying on the opposition going men down, it's not much of a game plan.

Fiji were easily the better team, outfoxed the Wallabies, and were accurate in interpreting what the ref would allow. The win was deserved - more, the better team won.

Well done Fiji. Wallabies with work to do now.
The issue is not the non card.

Only a few minutes earlier he lets the Fijians get away with crawling, when they made a brake down the middle and then swung it wide but threw the ball into touch.

It’s not so much not giving a yellow or red card it’s the fact that became a penalty for Fiji and we went from being on the front foot on attack to having to work the ball out of our own end

Goosestep

Syd Malcolm (24)
The force multiplier on this is the schools comps are poor.

Additionally, the same schools comps are crushing junior club rugby in many areas of Sydney, cutting off talent just as it is reaching development.
Can’t blame the schools.. tbh they’re the only thing keeping rugby alive …And they aren’t of a poor level that’s why the NRL is constantly poaching from them .

Also Those very same schools also offer cricket, basketball, soccer , rowing, swimming & athletics etc …and you don’t see those sport’s local club numbers dwindling …

the blame falls solely on the ARU

Last edited:

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
The game should be promoted through public schools and low level juniors. Even if we dont get better quality players, we build supporters.The diehard league fans are often the common folk who failed to make it from juniors, supporting mates that they used to play with. Why, with how selective rugby union is in Australia, would the everyday person care?

If they are going to promote it to public schools then they need to spend money and create a reason to get the kids to show up. Bugger all funds floating around a public school and what there is is being spent on where the school sees bang for buck.

I am not compaining, my kids are State school all the way, sport at school for them is as niche as the musical or band or the lunchtime Star Wars club.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Fiji were the better side in this contest. They played rugby while the Wallabies looked to be playing a version of League devised by Jones. Jones clearly likes League better than Rugby which is why he has developed his own version of three phase then kick game plan. He is backed by more league assistants than rugby ones and very tellingly he has instituted a league based defensive plan.

Three phase then kick is based on his erroneous view that tries are scored off the first three phases and if you haven't planted the ball over the line in those three phases, then kick the bloody thing anywhere and try to start again. What he fails to understand is that that strategy is self-fulfilling. When we kick the ball away so early there is no opportunity to build pressure and manipulate the opposition defensive line so there is just no way a try can be scored after a longer buildup.

The game plan is shit. It is the main reason we have little success under this excuse for a coach. It is then exacerbated by the outdated league-esqe defensive system of drifting. With a drift defence, even if we manage to bring the outside runner down we mostly have no numbers around to stop quick ball and more attack through our depleted line.

The fault/reason we are where we are today is entirely in the coaching area. Our players kick to the plan and are not very good at it, but first and foremost they are carrying out instructions.

I am a believer that we are significantly worse at the game now than we were, and would have been, under Dave Rennie.

The other major issue which existed under Rennie and is continuing under Jones is the number of injuries occurring in training.

hawko07

Frank Nicholson (4)
Rubbish, had we played the game I would agree but we rarely got out of 1st gear and when we did we fucked up by penalty, losing in contact or kicking it away. Also, what bright spark thought the drift defence was the way to play Fiji? They needed to be shut down early not allowed to run.
Gutless performance from my POV but not sure if it was the players or the coach, most probably a mix of both.
Agree on the drift defence. It looked bad vs Georgia, it was madness having the same strategy vs Fiji

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
You lose the Bledisloe for 20 years straight and then see if you keep this opinion
Mate I have supported and still do that make the Wallabies record look brilliant, but still enjoy watching them and other teams play the game.

Goosestep

Syd Malcolm (24)

Yeah but it’s a struggle, it’s not the same as it use to be . Club players are considered a after thought and only really get a look in if a certain position is lacking at the super rugby level
…. club rugby also offer very little incentives for a young player wanting to reach the pros compared to leagues club system, Where opportunities are far more attainable and structured for the next level