• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC QF 3 IRE v ARG (Millenium Stadium) 18th Oct 2300 AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Argentina by 30.

The 3 O's and Sexton out hopefully.
What a strange individual you are to hope that three players are injured out of a RWC game. Fair enough on Seanie maybe being banned, but wishing injury on players is pathetic. Fortunately, I have yet to meet a proper Australian sportsman/ woman who would entertain such a point of view, unless they were sat, anonymously, behind their keyboard.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I want them out because I want Ireland to do poorly due to their style of play. Don't like it. Nothing personal against those players.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
I want them out because I want Ireland to do poorly due to their style of play. Don't like it. Nothing personal against those players.
Ireland were up with Australia this weekend in terms of expansiveness. I should think the stats will back me up on that. At the end of the day, as Aussie showed so bravely yesterday, rugby is not fucking basketball and a team is perfectly entitled to defend and play for field position via the boot, it is rugby football after all. Aus V Wales yesterday was a wonderful, absorbing game, not many tries but only a fool would question its quality. The same applies to France V Ireland today, not glorified sevens but France tackled themselves to a standstill and it made for a great display.

Paul O'Connell has been nothing but good for the game, he has helped make fortunes to keep the game going in the NH and the SH. I have never once seen him do anything remotely dirty, clumsy maybe, but never dirty. He has probably had his international career finished for him today, not in a manner of his choosing, and that is something that should be a subject of regret, not celebration.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Nothing wrong with field position, the issue was the constant kicking when in the oppositions' half in the last 3 matches.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Nothing wrong with field position, the issue was the constant kicking when in the oppositions' half in the last 3 matches.
Even if your opinion was correct it would still not justify being "hopeful" that three lads are injured and will miss games. Seanie was rash, and will deserve a short ban but, I can guarantee with Pape that there will have been provocation. But taking any joy in a great player like Paul O'Connell having his international career finished, as looks to be the case, is not something I imagine you would really feel, no matter how much you might love to hate Ireland's tactics.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I'm hoping all of those guys are available, because at this end of the tournament you want to see teams at full strength. I was predicting an Ireland v Australia semi final but with no SOB, Sexton or O'Connell I think Argentina might take this.

Argentina have the benefit of having played SA/AUS/NZ this year and if they play to their ability they can beat Ireland. If sexton is fit, Ireland should have the edge, but without him this is wide open.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
POC and O'Mahony look like no chance. POC looked Horwillesque and sadly I won't be surprised if he completely ruptured his hamstring.

Sexton didn't look much better but seems like the only one where there might be some hope that it wasn't as bad as it first appeared.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Argentina have looked the more skilful team in the tournament so far and should be able to match Ireland up front. The question is whether they have the discipline in defence to beat a very well organised Irish team.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)

Did you watch the game against France, only kicked from their own half. I can't wait to knock Australia out in the semi.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I find this the hardest of the Quarters to predict.

I like the way the Pumas are going about things, and I think they are a massive darkhorse. I'm predicting them to win this one by a bees dick, and then go onto beat the Boks in the 3rd place play off after narrowly losing to the Wallabies,

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Did you watch the game against France, only kicked from their own half. I can't wait to knock Australia out in the semi.

I did and they played well and didn't use a shit game plan for that match. Good. Doesn't change the fact they did in the previous 3 matches and I hate them for it.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
I did and they played well and didn't use a shit game plan for that match. Good. Doesn't change the fact they did in the previous 3 matches and I hate them for it.

Did an Irish person take your girlfriend? Does an Irish rugby player take your lunch money every week? Because you have a real green chip on that shoulder.

Ireland's other three matches:
122 kicks, 591 passes, 421 runs 1693 meters

All those stats, including kicking, are higher than Australia's in their first three matches, and that gap stretches over all four pool matches. You see shit, but it shows a fairly rounded game. You see nothing but kicks, but you're missing the passing, the runs, and the total meters. You're really only watching for what you want to see, not what's happening.

So do those stats make Australia's game shit because they don't pass or run as many meters as Ireland? Maybe, but I doubt it, and I think there's room in world rugby for more than just Australia's style of game. Many of us will happily watch both.

But that's fine, hate away, you're welcome not to watch. But the way you go out of your way to whinge about it at every chance really makes it seem like you have a shamrock stuck up your ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.