• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC QF 3 IRE v ARG (Millenium Stadium) 18th Oct 2300 AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
goddamn it must be fun to watch that 6 nations bullshit, stop, prop, flop, drop and flop some more. Then run straight into some prick. Then just kick the fuckin ball away after 10 phases of not getting through and everyone7s run out of puff.

The Argies blindside tramline running was sexy as hell, draw and pass, inside ball, outside, running straight in confined space, thru you go. Ireland didnt know what the fuck was going on there

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Fair play to Argentina, a deserved win. Injuries didn't help but the fastest player in Ireland wasn't injured he was sat in the stands while Dave Kearney's terrible lack of pace was ruthlessly exploited by the Pumas. Oh, and The Emperor doesn't have any clothes and Rob Kearney cannot kick snow off a rope or tackle.

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
France completely took it out of this Ireland team, a 7 day turn around after that battering was probably too much. Argentina look fantastic, an amazing scrum but **** those backs are something else.

What happens to Euro rugby now? All teams, with Scotland inevitably next, dumped out with no SF representation. It's not as bad as it seems on paper, for Ireland not too much change is needed, for Wales, England and France massive changes are needed. Ireland along with all four need to probably reconsider their game plans.

I just wish the injured players were back. At least then if Ireland lost I could garner some solice in saying the first XV wasn't good enough and accept it. But ah.

Good luck to Arg and Aus/Scots next round.

The game was still in the balance early in the 2nd half and you have to wonder how it would have gone with Sexton and O'Connell in particular, but the Argentinans really played some beautiful rugby tonight. For the longest time they were like a South American Springboks, with less composure, but they've become a much more complete side over the past few years and their backline play was just scintillating at times tonight.

I love the Irish, but it's great for the game to see the Pumas make the semis.

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
Good game. Ireland's gameplan seems to depend more than most on getting good field position and penalties, which is where they rely so much on Sexton. They were still dangerous at the breakdown but Argentina wanted it more. After that first scrum I thought Ireland were in deep trouble, but they made a good game of it.

I really didn't expect the Argies to shift it as wide as they did as often. They've come a long way.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Eighteen members of that Argentinian squad will be on the Argentinian Super Rugby side. That should be interesting.

Very ominous. You'd have to think that the travel schedule would weary them. But maybe if they are too good it makes a good case for 2 Argentinean teams. Especially since there was some uncertainty earlier about whether South Africa could sustain 6 competitive teams.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
Qwerty did, but let's not pump him up.

If we believe anything qw-- that odious one individual says, than this Argentina win tells us fuck all, because Ireland are such a shiiiiit team, and Schmidt is such a craaaaap coach. How couldn't anyone beat that team? If that's the case, then this Argentinian win tells us nothing. Either that, or qw-- that one individual is just full of it not saying anything to be accepted at face value.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
How is it any different to the Tahs, Crusaders, Bulls, Stormers and Brumbies

They don't have 20+ current Wallabies/All Blacks/Boks. Plus they would have massive cohesion playing together all the time. It's basically going to be the Test side minus a couple.

BabyBlueElephant

Darby Loudon (17)
Irelands game plan relies on Sexton. He is the best tactical kicker the squad has but also the best passer, without him the whole team stops clicking.

It's odd seeing the 6N back to back champions get beaten so convincingly. It makes the 6N seem so redundant when it leads to this on the grand stage. Where do all the NH teams go from here?

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
Very ominous. You'd have to think that the travel schedule would weary them. But maybe if they are too good it makes a good case for 2 Argentinean teams. Especially since there was some uncertainty earlier about whether South Africa could sustain 6 competitive teams.

Australia can't sustain 5 either. Good idea to put a 2nd Argie team in that conference.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
The game was still in the balance early in the 2nd half and you have to wonder how it would have gone with Sexton and O'Connell in particular, but the Argentinans really played some beautiful rugby tonight. For the longest time they were like a South American Springboks, with less composure, but they've become a much more complete side over the past few years and their backline play was just scintillating at times tonight.

I love the Irish, but it's great for the game to see the Pumas make the semis.

This was Argentina's toughest game since New Zealand, and they showed they could pull away later in the second half -- a new string to their bow. They're a lot of fun to watch, and I get the sense they grew as a team during this game.

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
They don't have 20+ current Wallabies/All Blacks/Boks. Plus they would have massive cohesion playing together all the time. It's basically going to be the Test side minus a couple.

Given the Kiwis can probably field 3 test sides, I don't think that will be much of a guarantee for them. That said, I reckon there should have been 2 sides given to Argentina so they at least have a local derby and trips there can be a little more meaningful.

BabyBlueElephant

Darby Loudon (17)
I think when you get pumped by 23 points, you've got bigger problems than sexton or oconnel can solve.

Subjective, Madigan missed a simple touch finder kicking it out on the full. Argentina get a scrum, and a try resulted. Instead of a territorial gain of 20+ metres Ireland is now down by 13. Missing the star fly half was crucial.

That's not to detract from Argentina. They looked outstanding today. As painful as this is, I'm proud of Argentina for their enornous progress over the years. The RC may not have the same atmosphere as the 6N but it has by far the superior teams.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Irelands game plan relies on Sexton. He is the best tactical kicker the squad has but also the best passer, without him the whole team stops clicking.

It's odd seeing the 6N back to back champions get beaten so convincingly. It makes the 6N seem so redundant when it leads to this on the grand stage. Where do all the NH teams go from here?
It's gonna cause Wales and Ireland to re evaluate attack. The Argies and nz have set new benchmark for attacking play.

Wales Fan

Alfred Walker (16)

We won't go anywhere, it'll be the same arm wrestling contest every season. And we'll stay where we are now.
Don't think basic skills in the NH will ever match the south.
Too much emphasis on power & defence.
Wales have players like Matthew Morgan & Jordan Williams who are very talented but pigeonholed as too small/not powerful enough & are left on the fringes of selection in regional rugby never mind international. We highlight weakness in these players instead of delighting in their quality. You could argue the same for Zebo with Ireland - supremely talented & able to conjure something out of nothing but kept out by the power of Kearney.
The whole ethos of rugby needs to change in the northern hemisphere. But it won't.

Status
Not open for further replies.