• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC QF 4 AUS v SCO (Twickenham) 19th Oct 0200 AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
He was good at the end there and played with pace.

The benefit of bringing him on is having the fresh legs. If Genia can go at the same pace for the entire 80 he isn't going hard enough.

Spose that's right. But he's not world class. Anyone better on the horizon?

as for the next game, Genia and phipps are gonna have to step up. Argies put a lot of pressure of Murray, and he's good!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
One is never over Paddy. We now have "Son of Paddy" wielding the Acme Thunderer in the NRC. Fortunately (this view may depend on your location) he is based on the Gold Coast.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
That's actually very interesting point that I thought of when watching it unfold. Phipps' body language has guilt written all over it. He knows he got away with something
Phipps has admitted to having a go at the loose ball which is subsequently knocked forward by the scot, deflects off Phipps chest, and is then picked up by another scot who, as far as CJ is concerned, is about 10m offside.

If Phipps looks a bit sheepish it's probably because like everyone else he is unsure whether the fact that the ball has touched him has negated the offside. Rule 11.3c that is referred to appears to have been written to allow for players from one side being put back on side after a return kick is fumbled by the other side, not from a knock on infringement. So it's not surprising there was a bit confusion about its application in this instance.

In any case, whatever way you look at it it was advantage Australia. I also would have backed us to get the required 3 points minimum from the ensuing scrum and the at least 2 minutes of play that followed.

The records show that Australia won, and the team out of the two which had showed the greatest superiority throughout the entire tournament so far advances to the semis.

End of story.

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
The Wallabies were certainly robbed by that last decision. A scrum should have been awarded giving the Wallabies the opportunity to score their 6th try, win the game in a decisive fashion and not have to put up with a bunch of whinging that the referee gifted them the game or they somehow cheated. ;)

In case you're referring to me. My argument wasn't about whinging. It was about clarifying what the correct decision was. As even I pointed out, he got lots of things wrong, both ways.

Also, Aus didn't have anything to feel ashamed of. Joubert made the error(s), nobody else.

The only problem with that last decision was that it caused the final lead swing in the match. That's why it's been discussed at length, as opposed to the others. It's the way social media, and all media for that matter, works. Over here, it's been a very civil discussion.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
In case you're referring to me. My argument wasn't about whinging. It was about clarifying what the correct decision was. As even I pointed out, he got lots of things wrong, both ways.

Also, Aus didn't have anything to feel ashamed of. Joubert made the error(s), nobody else.

The only problem with that last decision was that it caused the final lead swing in the match. That's why it's been discussed at length, as opposed to the others. It's the way social media, and all media for that matter, works. Over here, it's been a very civil discussion.

My comment was tongue in cheek. Much of the discussion has come down to the penalty and it apparently being the only reason Australia won.

If it hadn't been a penalty it would have been our scrum feed in an attacking position with an opportunity to win the game.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
it all boils down to whether Phipps deliberately play d at the ball or not. Joubert thinks he didn't. The IRB thinks he did

We don't know what Joubert thinks: thats merely another aspect to the shithouse handling of the affair by World Rugby.
As with most disputed decisions in rugby its a question of fact: but its not a question of objective fact as some seem to think.
Its a question of what the ref saw - and since he hasn't spoken and the IRB haven't seen fit to put out his version of what he saw we don't know what the facts are.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
My biggest issue with the latest statement from World Rugby or whatever they are called, is that you NEVER see this kind of statement come out when a minnow - usual Manu Samoa or another PI team - have been duded by a ref. Just a week earlier, Scotland were gifted a game when a clear knock-on was missed before the game-winning try.

You have absolute fucked-up decision to give Alesana Tuilagi a 2 week ban - a reduced sentence FFS - for being a fucken beast with the ball in hand, while Sean O'Brien can punch another player in the stomach and get 1 week.

Let's go back into previous RWCs where PI teams have been absolutely SCREWED by dip-shit referee calls. Where the fuck are the statements about the incorrect calls then?!?

Tier 2 teams are hugely responsible for growing rugby globally and they get fucked by refs every RWC.

Yeah - it pisses me right the fuck off.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Do you reckon there is really any benefit in bringing him on? Having watched Cheika do it several times I can't see that he adds anything over Genia

And imo Genia was looking very sharp in this game. His service from the scrum and ruck was crisp, accurate and fast. Apart from a couple of ineffectual box kicks, his all round game was getting near to his best imo. Great read to put Mitchell in for his second try.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Tuilagi's ban was fine. He has a history of raising the knee.

As far as I can tell, Tuilagi was punished under a regulation governing dangerous play.

10.4 (a) Punching or striking: A player must not strike an opponent with the fist or arm, including the elbow, shoulder, head or knee(s).

http://laws.worldrugby.org/?law=10.4

If you consider a ball runner leading with a knee to be dangerous play, then do you also consider tackles leading with a shoulder (i.e. just about all of them) to also constitute dangerous play?

pjm

Billy Sheehan (19)
If you consider a ball runner leading with a knee to be dangerous play, then do you also consider tackles leading with a shoulder (i.e. just about all of them) to also constitute dangerous play?

No because a tackler can choose not to tackle the area and not get hit by the shoulder. I do think face fends should be removed though as they are basically just punching.

Status
Not open for further replies.