• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC QF 4 AUS v SCO (Twickenham) 19th Oct 0200 AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I felt a bit hollow after the game but after reading all the dummy spits, the statement by WR (World Rugby), being reminded of the 2 players who pleaded guilty being found not guilty, and now we've got this twit comparing it to some mass murder 330 years ago.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ru...or-more-than-300-years-says-Michael-Gove.html

So fuck em I say. I'm now fully pumped.

The message is that when you defeat a home nation then do so comprehensively. Duly noted by all I hope!

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
I can't believe they're still carrying on with this in the UK. It's like none of them can see how much the Scots had go their way in the lead up to the final minutes of this match both on and off the pitch.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Must stick my hand up here - I thought Ford and Gray had pleaded guilty to reduce their sentence, but it was only that they expressed regret.

Denied the charge, but expressed regret. So that must make the bloke dumped on his head feel better.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Don't agree with World Rugby's stance on this. If they want to have an official public review of Ref performances at test level. Fair enough do what just about every other sport would do. Wait for things to calm down and announce it a few months after the RWC and apply it to future performances.

Refs get stick from all quarters and the majority of G&GR posters aren't whiter than white on the issue. They get far too much stick as it is and to have it almost officially endorsed by World Rugby is just sickening.

As to the Scots griping about the decision. Some of them have clearly gone overboard, especially those who have attacked Joubert's ingrity or called for him to be sacked, never ref again etc. Those in the media who are former test players doing this should remember that if they were held to the same standards they would have earned a hell of a lot less caps than they did.

As to the Scots fans. They're fan and fans moan when a decision goes against them that costs them the game. I wish they didn't, I firmly subscribe to the attitude that when the game's over, congratulate the winner and look at how you can improve in the future. The best way is to play so well next time that there's no way the result rests on one decision from the ref or more likely one mistake from your team.

With regard to calling the Scotish fans out. I'd say go for it with the over zealous guys. But as to the genuine Scotish fans I'd say let he who is without sin cast the first stone. Having been a member here for four years and seeing the reaction to some calls that have negatively impacted Aus or Aus franchises there aren't too many who should be hurling rocks right about now.

I genuinely hope that we don't see another situation like it in the Semi Finals and Final and that we're back to talking about the quality of the rugby come the weekend.

In Joubert's case I hope this isn't what he's remember for after this RWC, the way Rolland was last RWC. The guy's a good referee. His style may not suit everyone's vision for the game. But he makes less mistakes than most and he's consistent.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Why isn't Seymour's try a deliberate knock forward?
That's a very interesting question and a good example of the issues that would be raised if there was a "captain's call" appeal process for decisions.

If the Samoan captain appealed that - would the TMO be able to ignore the laws of the game and follow the conventions that refs use around knocking up or knocking down, or would he have to strictly follow the laws as set out - which specifically say you can't "knock" it forward

(f)
Intentional knock or throw forward. A player must not intentionally knock the ball forward with hand or arm, nor throw forward.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think it isn't an intentional knock on because the ball doesn't touch the ground. You have to read the laws together.

DEFINITION: KNOCK-ON
A knock-on occurs when a player loses possession of the ball and it goes forward, or when a player hits the ball forward with the hand or arm, or when the ball hits the hand or arm and goes forward, and the ball touches the ground or another player before the original player can catch it.
‘Forward’ means towards the opposing team’s dead ball line.

12.1 The outcome of a knock-on or throw forward

(f)
Intentional knock or throw forward. A player must not intentionally knock the ball forward with hand or arm, nor throw forward.

When you read all three in concert (f) doesn't apply because no knock on occurred.

Status
Not open for further replies.