• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC QF 4 AUS v SCO (Twickenham) 19th Oct 0200 AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I saw most of the Scotland Samoa game and the Scots were diabolically bad. They played no rugby except for rolling mauls and Samoa were clearly the better team everywhere but the scoreboard.

I've said before that the IRB's refusal to do anything about fixing the maul problem would hurt some teams and this match was a great example. Scotland's only method of attack was to win a penalty, kick for the sideline, win the lineout, form a maul and wait for the penalty. Repeat ad nauseum.

Better refereeing would have fixed the problem, but if the referee had ruled to the laws his assessor would have gone ape and he'd miss a chance at the finals.

The Scots would struggle to beat any of our Super sides except the Force. Unless we play totally off key next week we will not lose in the quarters. We do not need to play Izzy, Gits or Pocock - their replacements will do just nicely.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Well, I didn't see the game, so I can't comment. From some of the comments I've read I thought Scotland had been quite good though. I still don't think suggesting it is a non contest is a reality against another team of full time professionals.

But part of my point was, even if it were a lay down misere (which I don't think it is) I find the lack of respect to another top tier nation tacky. And, let's face it, we've ended with egg on our face a few times recently. Why not just give them the respect the deserve. It still feels just as good if we win.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Possibly already mentioned but each QF will be NH v SH & I reckon we've a good chance of a clean sweep....

Also re the possible/ notional Wobblies Grand Slam, AB's did it in '95: Ireland & Wales in the Pool, Scotland QF & England SF.

Final random thought/ question: in order to "Bring Back Bill" you'll need to beat five top-10 sides in consecutive matches: when did you last achieve that? Not saying it can't be done but you're going to need a charmed run in all respects, not least injury-wise.

Four top sides and Scotland.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I saw most of the Scotland Samoa game and the Scots were diabolically bad. They played no rugby except for rolling mauls and Samoa were clearly the better team everywhere but the scoreboard.

I've said before that the IRB's refusal to do anything about fixing the maul problem would hurt some teams and this match was a great example. Scotland's only method of attack was to win a penalty, kick for the sideline, win the lineout, form a maul and wait for the penalty. Repeat ad nauseum.

Better refereeing would have fixed the problem, but if the referee had ruled to the laws his assessor would have gone ape and he'd miss a chance at the finals.

The Scots would struggle to beat any of our Super sides except the Force. Unless we play totally off key next week we will not lose in the quarters. We do not need to play Izzy, Gits or Pocock - their replacements will do just nicely.

I take it you didn't watch the Scotland V Japan match?

Scotty

David Codey (61)
If we turn up physically, particular in defence and hold them near scoreless for 60 minutes then we should have sufficient firepower to finish them off.

On the other hand if we don't match them up front and they get a sniff it could be 'one of those games'.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
On paper the Wallabies should be too strong for Scotland. But most sides who believe in easy RWC QFs get the privilege of watching the rest of the competition at home in front of their TV.

QFs can turn into a blow out but that's because the side that won took it seriously and brought their A game.

9/10 I'd expect Aus to beat Scotland but there's still that 1/10 chance that Scotland start with a bang and hold on.

If Scotland are going to win it's probably going to be a tight game. They'll have to play more akin to the Japan game than the Samoa one and be clinical with their finishing.

With how poor Scotland have been over recent years they shouldn't be anywhere near a RWC SF but it would be a huge boost to Rugby in Scotland where the game seemed to be slowly drowning over the last decade.

However this Aus team is something special and it would be a real shame if they were to go out in the QF labelled as failures. They deserve better than that and so does Cheika.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I'm certainly not underestimating the Scots. Any side in the Six Nations is capable of beating the Wallabies on their day.

The problem i see for Scotland is that I'm not sure I can identify an area where they are going to have an advantage against Australia. With respect to Scotland I think it's fair to say Australia's back line has looked considerably more dangerous than Scotland's. It's hard to see Scotland getting any significant advantage in the scrum (which was the main source of points for Scotland in their infamous Newcastle win), Australia's maul and maul defense has also been excellent. Scotland doesn't really have a pack that can physically dominate the Wallabies, and a betting man would expect that we'll have the upper hand in at the breakdown (although it will surely be closely contested).

Any thoughts from the Scot fans as to where you might have an edge?

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
9/10 I'd expect Aus to beat Scotland but there's still that 1/10 chance that Scotland start with a bang and hold on.
When have the Scots started with a 'bang' this RWC though? They've started slowly in the first 20 of all their matches this tournament

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Haha resting players in a RWC QF? You're lucky the coaching staff will have more sense than you.

Yes, because the Wallabies have played 3 cracking games: Fiji, England and Wales. You only have played a cracking game against Scotland. Sorry, against Japan too :p. So you have played just 2 tough games, your players have more rest than the Wallabies.

Also Big Dog and Beale have showed a good level, so they can start this game. Thanks to Cheika Australia is a team, not just a couple of rockstars

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
Agree with MHCS team. I wouldn't be starting Izzy and Pocock at less than 100% here. It drastically increases their chances of being rubbed out for the remainder, which is a pointless risk given they add almost nothing extra than their alternatives if they are on one leg.

Admittedly if we were playing say South Africa, that would be a harder call. Some will see that as complacent. I'm leaning towards the alternative of starting them as an unjustifiable risk to our world cup chances mostly just to avoid being seen as complacent. Those guys will be far more valuable at 100% in the SF and Final.

In other news, Simmons for Mumm seems a no-brainer. They had that right to start with. The lineout is a disaster without him. The rest depends on how they pull up and whether they will be 100% on the night.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I don't think it matters if we are playing SA or Scotland. Need to have everyone 100% for the game. Folau was a liability when it came to the high ball and it really was Wales' only attacking ploy in midfield. Had we been nullifying that ploy the game likely wouldn't have been as close as it was, and we would have had a lot more ball.

Not ignoring the good things he did, but he was clearly poor in some aspects.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
If Folau and Pocock are below 60-70 per cent of their playing capacity because of injury, replace them.

I'm sure Fardy, McCalman and Hooper (and the whole team for that matter) will step up their breakdown work in Pocock's absence. Beale, Mitchell, meanwhile, is able coverage at 15.

None of this rotating bullshit otherwise.

T

TOCC

Scotland will attack the ruck and disrupt ball all day long, making life hell for the halfback. They know they don't have the backline to compete, but they know how to play trench warfare.

It's going to be an ugly match, no two ways about it. It's going to require the forwards to step up as Scotland will be competing at every breakdown.

Wallabies would be remiss to take the match lightly, it's going to be a physical match for the forwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Scotland will attack the ruck and disrupt ball all day long, making life hell for the halfback. They know they don't have the backline to compete, but they know how to play trench warfare.

It's going to be an ugly match, no two ways about it. It's going to require the forwards to step up as Scotland will be competing at every breakdown.

Wallabies would be remiss to take the match lightly, it's going to be a physical match for the forwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. Luckly Big Dog and McMahon are in good level, so they can face any opponent

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
We've got no reward at the breakdown this RWC. I think that playing that style would be a mistake when the Wobblies are very good at that sort of thing.

I think that we should throw caution to the wind and return to the Warriors esq play style we were using against Japan and Samoa. Part of the problem in the last two games is that we've tried to outmuscle two bigger sides physically rather than playing to our own strengths.

Russell will be better with another week. 4 of the 5 outside backs played near enough the worst games I've seen from them in the international jersey. Swap out Wilson for Strauss, amd I think we've got a side capable of pulling off that offload heavy gameplan.

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
There is big difference between confidence and cockiness. Having the confidence in our squad to be able to get the job done next week is not being disrespectful toward Scotland in any way.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Just saw Nathan grey on tv, he said izzy pulled up better than last week. He will be playing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Just saw Nathan grey on tv, he said izzy pulled up better than last week. He will be playing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thats good. Beale has been sensational coming of the bench. He really changes up the point of attack and makes thing happen.

Bring Back The Ruck

Herbert Moran (7)
There is no way the wallabies can loose this game
I thought the same on the way up to Newcastle and the game before when I got up early to watch it BUT the weather won't be a factor on Sunday
Plenty of people here saying scotland have been poor but we are the only team outwith the top 8 teams in world through yes we had a weak group but we were the 3rd ranked team in that group and we had the suprise package of the cup in our group too
We have the lowest playing numbers of any team in the quarters and rugby has been a sport in decline for years
We only have two full time clubs with very few players overseas nowadays
And my adopted team of edinburgh have been honking for years
Basically we have done bloody well to get through
I will be wearing a blue shirt for the game but the gold one will be ready for Monday morning

Status
Not open for further replies.