• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC: SCO v RSA (St James Park): POOL B

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Gilchrist out, Russell a concern. Potentially big losses.

http://thescotlandteam.com/2015/09/28/gilchrist-out-of-rugby-world-cup/

Important for us. A win gets us top regardless of other results*, while a loss, especially with no bonus points, opens up a possibility, however slim, of finishing 4th in the group.

A good first half is essential. If we're within 10 at the break, we've got a red hot opportunity, as we've finished the stronger side in the 4 warm ups and opening pair of matches.

Scots by 2 if Russell's fit, Boks by 6 otherwise.

* Technically if we pick up no bonus points from either this match or the Samoan one, and they get bonus point wins against us and the Japanese, they'll go top on head to head.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I think the Scots have a red hot chance in this one. SA have not been that good in their games this year after the Brisbane test. Samoa were very disappointing in the SA game and didn't provide anything near what they were capable of.

Scotland however have been strong at the set piece and have had pretty good form to their game from what I've seen. I'd love the Scots to get in this one.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Ref: Owens
AR's: Pollock & Hodges
TMO: Ayoub (can see Nigel telling Georgie boy, in the nicest possible way, of course) to STFU & only tell me what I've asked you to tell me).

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
Ref: Owens
AR's: Pollock & Hodges
TMO: Ayoub (can see Nigel telling Georgie boy, in the nicest possible way, of course) to STFU & only tell me what I've asked you to tell me).

Another ref we can handle. This is becoming a trend. Wonder where the catch is. We'll probably get Poite in the quarter finals, should we make it that far.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Scotland however have been strong at the set piece
You probably missed the first half vs USA. USA put them on the backfoot in every scrum till WP Nel came up. Not only did he scored a vital try but he sure scrummed well. The USA lineout was in tatters, no way Etsebet/Matfield will be that weak. Think thats exactly where the Bokke will hurt them. If we dominate first phase, we'll be in the pound seat.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Just caught the highlights of this game after only watching a portion of the game live. Scotland will need to improve immeasurably to knock off the Boks.

Oh and that standoff Finn Russell is classy; just has the whole skillset. Will seriously contend for the best in the world in the not too distant future

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Cotter picked Welsh over pot plant Cusack because he wanted more around the ground from his backup tighthead, the same reason Grant is playing ahead of Gordie Reid at loosehead. Welsh however now seems to be huffing and puffing after 20 minutes, so that's probably a mistake in the squad.

Starters are good enough to match the Bokke, both at set piece and around the ground, but the reserve ones might struggle a lot.

Re: Russell, he's just fantastic. I genuinely think that whatever happens in this world cup beyond this point (as long as we secure third) will be a bonus. More or less all of the squad except Ford, Strokosch, Laidlaw and Lamont are young enough that they should still be playing to a high standard for Japan 2019. Outside of that, McInally and Dunbar missed the world Cup through injury, Fagerson, Hoyland and Toolis are fabulous players at 19, 19 and 21 respectively who should only grow in ability, and then there will be a handful of imports to add depth and competitive within the squad, assuming they don't commit to someone else. Nasi Manu, Anton Bresler, a Glasgow boy who's name escapes me.

If everything goes to plan, we should have a very very good team come Japan. We were one of the youngest and most inexperienced sides in the cup (not withstanding Fords 80 caps, Laidlaws 40, Strokoschs 40 and Lamonts 98 odd), so we have a lot of time to develop both individuals and combinations.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Another ref we can handle. This is becoming a trend. Wonder where the catch is. We'll probably get Poite in the quarter finals, should we make it that far.

Boks are certainties for the quarters - the 2 bonus points from the Japan loss will ensure it. Can't see you losing to Scotland either, so I reckon Boks will finish top of the pool with 3 teams having lost one game and bonus points will decide second between Japan and Scotland.

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
Boks are certainties for the quarters - the 2 bonus points from the Japan loss will ensure it. Can't see you losing to Scotland either, so I reckon Boks will finish top of the pool with 3 teams having lost one game and bonus points will decide second between Japan and Scotland.

I wish I shared that optimism - but playing Scotland up near the border, you can be sure it will basically be a home game. And they know they can top the group by winning - a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

Then again, that was the case in 99 as well, and that didn't go too well for them.

Just don't have such a comfortable feeling about it.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I think Scotland are playing the best I've ever seen them, really impressed with there win over Japan. But having said that the Boks would have learned a harsh lesson against Japan so I don't see them losing.

I think this is going to be a cracker of a game though, Can't wait!

Status
Not open for further replies.