• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
The Crusaders resting Owen Franks also helped.

Take O. Franks and Brad Thorn (which was the other change in that game) out of the engine room and that is a vastly different beast. The fact that those players were rested against the Mules, even though they had already had a bye and the non-moacth against the Canes speaks volumes about the threat they saw in the Mule scrum.

T

tallboy

There is a strong lack of love for Matt Hodgson in this thread.

The man is not only our 2nd best 7 but probably our 3rd best 6 and a capable 8. He'd be about the handiest loose forward for a coach to have in his squad in a WC year.

I couldn't agree more. Not only is Hodgson a super versatile backrow squad member but he's also been in Dean's system and capable of operating in that framework. Robinson has played some good games but people are very quick to jump on his bandwagon when he still has a lot to do in my opinion when a World Cup is on the line.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I'm not sure Robinson has "a lot" to do. He's played very well, MOTM well, against top opposition, u cant really ask anymore. If he keeps it up he should warrant a spot. It is a tough choice to leave such a good player behind in Hodgson, and yes Hodgeson would be a valuable player to any RWC squad but I think Robinson is a harder player (reminds me of Phil Waugh), he puts on big hits and the wallabies need a bit of mongrel to them.

Id honestly be happy with either of them as back-up to Pocock, But I'm slightly leaning towards Robinson.

T

tallboy

Granted I'll amend "a lot" to do and make it a "bit" to do. I'll definitely agree that he's an abrasive type of 7 which can help against certain sides, but I just think Hodgson brings more versatility and a much better skill set. As you said Seb, whoever they choose will be playing a deputy role to Pocock and we could do worse than have either one of those guys. I'm still putting myself firmly in camp Hodgson though.

wobbly

Fred Wood (13)
I reckon they'll send a 3rd hooker. Hodgson and McCalman can cover backrow with Horwill as extra cover for 6. Higgenbotham, Mumm and Mowen will be on standby for back row injuries.

Forwards:
Props: Slipper, Robinson, Alexander, Palmer
Hookers: TPN, Moore, S Fainga'a
Locks: Horwill, Simmons, Sharpe, Vickerman
No. 8: Palu, McCalman
No. 6: Rocky,
No. 7: Pocock, Hodgson

Three half backs will be the go, unless they consider Giteau as back-up half. Otherwise a fit Horne will be considered, or possibly Gerard.

Backs:
No. 9: Genia, Burgess, Phipps
No. 10: Cooper, JOC (James O'Connor)
Wings: Mitchell, Ioane, Turner
IC: Barnes, Giteau
OC: AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Mortlock
FB: Beale, Shepherd

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Gerrard won't be selected...

He was in better form in 2008 and 2009 and Deans wasn't interested then...

He doesn't fit with Deans game plan. Deans does not play a territory based game, even when conditions call for it. The irony is that in 2009 Gerrard would have been ideal during the kick fest and territory dominance game that the 3N became.

S

Skippy

I personally don't think Lachie Turner will go. Ioane, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), JOC (James O'Connor), Mitchell.... that's enough wingers. Does anyone know the rule on replacing injured players once the WC starts?
I also strongly believe Robbie Deans will not be bringing in many players outside of those who've played under him in the lst 2 seasons (exception for Mortlock). Form or not I can't seem players like Beau Robinson etc going from unwanted Super 15 players to WC players in one season... and like others, Deans will stick with those who've been in his system and program for several seasons now.

I also see Higgers, Mumm, Baxter, Phil Waugh all missing out.

I think the 30 man squad Deans will take will be (Although I don't agree!)

Props: Slipper, Robinson, Alexander, Palmer

Hookers: TPN, Moore, S Fainga'a (I don't agree re Fainga'a but he will go as he's been in the mix and squad... and he only needs to get through 2 pool games to allow TPN and Moore to rest)

Locks: Horwill, Simmons, Sharpe, Vickerman - Vickerman will play 3 to 4 pool games I beleive to try and get him ready for the finals and give him as much match time as posible.

No. 8: Palu, McCalman
No. 6: Rocky
No. 7: Pocock, Hodgson

I think he will only take 2 halfbacks -
No. 9: Genia, Burgess
No 10: Cooper, JOC (James O'Connor)
Wings: Mitchell, Ioane
IC: Barnes, Giteau
OC: AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Mortlock, Horne
FB: Beale, Shepherd

Leaves one spot open for Cooper Vuna, L Turner, Rod Davies, Will Chambers etc to try and take. My money will be on Deans taking one 'unknown quantity' as a bit of an 'x' factor - so potentially we may see Morahan, Mike Harris or Cummins.

Agree Deans didn't want Gerrard a few seasons ago and won't want him now.
I also don't think there is a plan B for the Wallabies. We either click and play like we have in last 2 seasons at times or we lose and go out.... Deans doesn't have any other options I think... as I actually think he accepts the limitations of the squad and the fact he really needs another 12 months to prepare them to be world beaters.

Status
Not open for further replies.