• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC11 'Star'

Status
Not open for further replies.

rigs23

Allen Oxlade (6)
Elsewhere on this brilliant site I remembered reading how there is always that one star player every world cup whose public profile becomes larger no matter what, like Kirwan in 87, Campo in 91, Lomu in 95, Timmy H in 99 and Wilko and Bryan Habana in 03 and 07 respectively. Who do we think its gonna be in 2011? Keeping in mind it all depends on the winner of the tournament too of course as history will tell us. If Australia takes the cup, my bet's on Diggers. For NZ I'm tipping Nonu for big things this world cup.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
That Samoan winger dude for mine.

"Samoan winger dude" hahahaha

Yeh I also think Tuilagi will have a big tournement. But others that will become big names around the world in my opinion are Sam Warburton (Wales), Juan Ferndandez-Lobbe (Argentina), Ben Foden (England). Plus the usually stars such as Genia, Carter ect

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Funny how the "star" at each RWC has been a back, and usually an outside back, and the names proffered so far are along those lines again, pretty much.
Why do people hate the pigs?

U

undercoverkiwi

Funny how the "star" at each RWC has been a back, and usually an outside back, and the names proffered so far are along those lines again, pretty much.

They don't tend to be on the end of sweeping backline moves, beat loads of players on the way to 50m solo tries, or kick drop-goals.

Warburton is a good shout though. He's still relatively unknown outside the 6N.

W

Worldcupnut

Quade Cooper. ( is it like Time person of the year where the vilian can scoop the prize? ) I'm hoping he wins because of his brilliant plays. If he's the star, Wallabies win! I am a little worried he may get yellowed for some of his niggling.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
03 might have been Habana. But from 07:

[video=youtube;RegISbXXmCE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RegISbXXmCE[/video]

One try doesn't make a player. But if we are talking about lifting your profile in a world cup, this is up there.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)

I'd say it's because the most fair weather of rugby fans only pay attention during the World Cup, and, as fair weather fans, don't actuallly know very much about the game and so latch onto guys who run fast and get the pill over the line.

I can't see a member of the tight-five ever being the popular 'star' player

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
03 might have been Habana. But from 07:

One try doesn't make a player. But if we are talking about lifting your profile in a world cup, this is up there.

Habana was 2007, not 2003, it was Wilko then...

Speaking of lifting one's profile, it seems a tackle, not a try, didn't harm Australian Nicole Beck's chances in last year's women's world cup...she was one of five nominees, think the winner was the English backrower.

Status
Not open for further replies.